Where to find status and strength of WW2 units?

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Xaerhanler

Where to find status and strength of WW2 units?

Post by Xaerhanler » 07 Feb 2022 08:15

I'm making a little project where I need to look at the details of the Eastern front. I have plenty of maps showing unit positions and directions, but I don't know where to find the fighting strength and status of the units involved. For instance,I want to know how many troops 18th army had, but I can't find a site that can tell me that. Where can I find it?

Art
Forum Staff

Re: Where to find status and strength of WW2 units?

Post by Art » 07 Feb 2022 19:14

The most general answer is "in the archival files which contain relevant reports". You can find some pieces of information online though.

Xaerhanler

Post by Xaerhanler » 11 Feb 2022 12:05

Art wrote:
07 Feb 2022 19:14
The most general answer is "in the archival files which contain relevant reports". You can find some pieces of information online though.
How exactly do I best search for specific army units in the archival files? Also, what archival files are you referring too?

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 11 Feb 2022 15:00

What army are you talking about for a start? If a Soviet 18 Army then you need records in Russian archives, if a German 18 Army - US or German archives.
Another question is whether "how many troops 18th army had" means the order of battle or the number of men. Orders of battle are available online, personnel strength for the most part is not.

Xaerhanler

Post by Xaerhanler » 12 Feb 2022 03:30

Art wrote:
11 Feb 2022 15:00
What army are you talking about for a start? If a Soviet 18 Army then you need records in Russian archives, if a German 18 Army - US or German archives.
Another question is whether "how many troops 18th army had" means the order of battle or the number of men. Orders of battle are available online, personnel strength for the most part is not.
I'm sorry if I don't know this but what differentiates personnel strength from order of Battle? Also, I have a bit of trouble searching, if I type in 18. Armee, the results are just whatever articles that have Armee or 18.

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 12 Feb 2022 10:15

Ehm, when I said "archive" I meant a special institution which keeps historical documents and records not a forum or internet archive.
Personnel strength is the number of men in a specific formation, order of battle - its internal composition in terms of sub-formations and units, see for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_ ... Barbarossa
http://www.niehorster.org/011_germany/4 ... 1-oob.html

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”