Slovenian partisan activity in Görz/Gorizia 1943?

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Dimitrii

Slovenian partisan activity in Görz/Gorizia 1943?

Post by Dimitrii » 18 May 2023, 20:07

Hello all,

In Wikipedia I read, as a very brief mention, that Slovenian partisans "occupied" Görz in september 1943 for a brief while. Is this correct?

tammyferraro

Re: Slovenian partisan activity in Görz/Gorizia 1943?

Post by tammyferraro » 10 Aug 2023, 06:08

Dimitrii wrote:
18 May 2023, 20:07
Hello allgeometry dash subzero,
In Wikipedia I read, as a very brief mention, that Slovenian partisans "occupied" Görz in september 1943 for a brief while. Is this correct?
As I know, it's true that the Slovenian Partisans did indeed occupy Görz in September 1943 for a brief while. The Slovene Partisans were part of Europe’s most effective anti-Nazi resistance movement led by Yugoslav revolutionary communists during World War II, the Yugoslav Partisans. They were mostly ethnically homogeneous and primarily communicated in Slovene. The Battle of Grčarice was a battle fought in early September 1943 between the Slovene Partisans and the Blue Guard. The battle was waged in Grčarice in German-occupied Yugoslavia, modern-day Slovenia.

Dimitrii

Post by Dimitrii » 13 Aug 2023, 15:10

tammyferraro wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 06:08
Dimitrii wrote:
18 May 2023, 20:07
Hello allgeometry dash subzero,
As I know, it's true that the Slovenian Partisans did indeed occupy Görz in September 1943 for a brief while. The Slovene Partisans were part of Europe’s most effective anti-Nazi resistance movement led by Yugoslav revolutionary communists during World War II, the Yugoslav Partisans. They were mostly ethnically homogeneous and primarily communicated in Slovene. The Battle of Grčarice was a battle fought in early September 1943 between the Slovene Partisans and the Blue Guard. The battle was waged in Grčarice in German-occupied Yugoslavia, modern-day Slovenia.
Thank you very much for the response! I assume, that the Germans took over control of the city afterwards again?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 14 Aug 2023, 05:57

The battle was waged in Grčarice in German-occupied Yugoslavia
Wasn't it in Italian-occupied Yugoslavia?
So when Italian rule ended with the fall of Mussolini, local Slovenian political factions fought for power.

Berto

Post by Berto » 14 Aug 2023, 14:38

Yes, Grčarice was in the Italian-occupied zone.

It is not really correct to say Gorizia was occupied by the Slovene partisans. Right after the armistice (8 September) a partisan unit - "Brigata Proletaria" - mostly composed of (Italian Communist) workers from the Monfalcone shipyard was established and together with Slovene partisans it briefly attempted to defend Gorizia against the Germans. The latter entered Gorizia already on 11/12 September, the fighting mostly took place on the Karst around Gorizia, rather than in the city itself. I don't think the Slovene partisans ever entered the city in large numbers before 1945.

Some information here, for instance: https://www.patriaindipendente.it/longf ... i-gorizia/

Bachmann

Post by Bachmann » 06 Sep 2023, 10:32

Hi guys, where there any Pro German Yugoslavians ?

SloveneLiberal

Post by SloveneLiberal » 04 Dec 2023, 23:31

As mr. Berto Said partisans tried to defend Gorizia in September 1943 against Germans in some collaboration with Italian Royal army. Never really entered the City however, but were fighting against Germans around it. Italian commander of the Town was certain general Bruno Malaguti. Later he was arrested by Germans and sent to Poland and from there back to Italy. RSI Regime put him on trial and he received death sentence. It was not carried out until april 1945 however and so he was liberated by Italian partisans. Yet he died after a few months because of the consequences of captivity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Malaguti

According to Slovene partisan sources Malaguti made an agreement with partisans not to allow German units occupy Gorizia but his Main problem was that his soldiers mostly escaped between 8-11 september 1943.

SloveneLiberal

Post by SloveneLiberal » 14 Dec 2023, 21:18

I would add that the fall of Gorizia to German hands in 1943 meant catastrophe for the Jewish population in the town. Arrests started already in September 1943 and Jews were sent to German concentration camps, partly also with the help of local fascist police.

After the German occupation in September 1943, Jews most aware of the danger moved elsewhere or went into hiding, while the old, the sick, and those without adequate means remained at home and were arrested and deported. The first arrests and imprisonments occurred in September 1943. There followed the roundup of November 23, in which 22 people were arrested, imprisoned at Coroneo in Trieste, and deported to Auschwitz on December 7. In the following months, other Gorizian Jews who had gone into hiding there or in other Italian towns and cities, such as Ferrara, Florence, Genova, and San Cesario sul Panaro, were caught. In all, 47 Jews from Gorizia were deported, of whom only two, Iris Steinmann and Giacomo Jacoboni, returned.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/go ... t=cmp-true

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”