Battle of Targul Frumos

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Lehr Division

Re

Post by Lehr Division » 31 Jul 2002 00:12

yeh that is what i was thinking about last night forget about the email i'll do it on the fourm so other people can see.Its a big post so just wait, i'm sort of busy on some other stuff do ,be patient i spend 1 hour writing a overview of the battle so wait :lol:

Lehr Division

Post by Lehr Division » 01 Aug 2002 01:20

Battle of Targul Frumos

Sides = Russians - Germans(Romanian?)

Time = 1944 April-May

Commander = Marshall Konev,General S.G. Trofimenko,General Bogdanor - Lt.Gen.Hasso Eccard von Manteuffel

Area = Targul Frumos,Romania

OoB = 2nd Tank Army,27th Army - SS Grossdeutschland(24th Amoured Division,18th Romanian Mtn. Division?)

Plan = Russians - After the Russian offensive in early 1944 was stop by supply problem,the Stavka ordered a series of limited attack in southern Europe to convience Germans of their presence while the main blow would be delivered in central Europe(Operation Begration).
Germans - As the Russians steamroller have stopped,the Germans and their Romanian allies try to stabilized their front as uch as possible.After Hitler ordered a offensive to win back the land lost in 1944.

Action = 1.April 16 the soviet forces captured the town of Bals(9 miles NW of Targul) but was taken back by the Germans a while later.

2.Manteuffel convinced of a major attack on his front launched a series of small limited attack to prevent the inevitable as when on Apr.25, 2 PzGren battation and assult gun support with artillery attack hill 372(8-9 miles NW of Targul).As the attack went on, 2 days later the Germans uncovered the New JSIII tank,which enforced them to build better defenses.

3.At 5:20 am May 2 the attack begin with a horrofic devasting artillery barrage.T-34 and JS III firerd point blank range at the PzGren and fusilier postition at a valley near hill 372 and Ruginoasa(6-7 miles NW of Targul) As the tank pass through the trenches many young soldier were slaughered by the infantries behind but the German infantries held the Russian infantry that was suppose to support the tanks.As the tank and infantry were seperated the tank came intto Anti-Tank postition and were easily killed.A number of tanks ran into the Grossdeutschland Pz Regiment assembly area but were quickly elimated by the better trained German crew and also as the they overcame the shock.

4.Colonel Niemack's sector(NE of Targul) were the same.As the infantry and tank got seperated both got murdered.He manage to destory some tank himself when a number of t-34 ran rigth into his headquarter.

5.The night o fMay 2 Colonel Lankeit the Pz regiment commander moved some companies of Panther and Tiger to the front to directly support their infantry comrades.

6.May 3 the Russian tried again but since the Germans redpolyed all their units the Russian were beaten back again,though they manage to gain some ground.

7.Soviet changed tactic the next day,concentrating in a few places with everything.Particulary hard is around hill 256(4-5 miles N of Targul) where fighting was most fierce for the excellent observation post was changed hand several times that day.The infantry fougth with weapons from everything to razor sharp entrenching tools to flamethrower.But as the battle went on the casualties began to show and the Russians withdraw.

Outcome = Tie

Casualties = 350 Russian tanks destoryed,200 damaged, Infantry?(most likely high) - 10 destoryed tanks,Infantry?(most likely high)

Gained = Town of Ruginoasa,Cucuteni and a few minor villager,maxism penation about 5 miles. - Nothing in particular but inflitcted heavy damage,with a few miles of lose nothing important.

that is all i got, i got all the info from a WWII magazine that i have,too bad there is so few info about this great battle, since it was still studied by NATO during the 1980+

Lehr Division

Post by Lehr Division » 01 Aug 2002 01:31

Interesting to note is that in all they have about 550 tank in casualties but the 2nd Urkrainian Front only had 650 tank/self-propelled gun. But i think there is a typo around there i mean that is losing the equal of 5-6 Russian Tank Corp!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O .I think it is 90 tanks per corp. :|
well i hope that help some of you but i know there is more info about this battle, and i was thinking about creating a map for the battle but i'm not good with graphic editing. :wink:
:monkee: :monkee: :monkee: :monkee:

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”