German soldiers in the Lithuanian-Soviet war 1944-1965

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 25 Jan 2005 01:25

Ooooops ...since last time I watched these posts ,I didn't saw that Lit had posted the medical report about Ramanauskas ...it seems we have the same sources here :wink:

Lit.

Post by Lit. » 25 Jan 2005 09:28

Dear "Ostuf Charlemagne",

Thank you for your post that shows comparatively a really big knowledge in the history of Baltic and especially Lithuanian fight for freedom. I'll add some comments and correction on your post later on, but first could you please name the source of those interesting pics that you've posted.

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 25 Jan 2005 18:41

The pics I posted are from the book "Karas po Karo" (War after the war) which is published by your "center of studies of the genocide" in Vilnius.

Nota to the american/western europeans readers : In Lithuania the word genocide apply to the holocaust of lithuanian people by the communists .

Rommel8

Post by Rommel8 » 26 Jan 2005 03:43

To be honest, this was the first I had heard about this. I knew about hte Hungarian uprisings, and the Yugoslavian one, but I had never known about this. Thank you both for all this information!

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 01 Feb 2005 17:41

Lit. wrote:Yes I can read and write also. But as was mentioned above, this is offtopic. :?

I'd like to know more about AK operations in Lithuania from the point of view of a Lithuanian.

Maybe you could post some stuff in another thread?

Cheers

Lit.

Post by Lit. » 05 Feb 2005 16:21

Davey Boy wrote:I'd like to know more about AK operations in Lithuania from the point of view of a Lithuanian.
Maybe you could post some stuff in another thread?

Maybe I'll post some materials and quotes about AK in Lithuania later on. There are lot of articles and books about this issue. But unfortunately only in the oldest living Indo-European language. :)

But now I wand to add some more information which is not 'offtopic' here.

During the pretty long existence of "Tauras" military district (which was one of the best organized in all occupied Lithuania) there were about 20 former German soldiers in the ranks of Lithuanian Freedom Fighters. I think all the names and fates of them will be known after better investigation with the help of German historians.

Off course the main reasons why they have chosen to fight with Bolsheviks instead to surrender, were probably individually different from the main reason why Lithuanians have fought - the freedom of the Republic of Lithuania.

Most of those 20 Germans were the former POW's that succeed to escape from the Soviet camps. They were willing to reach their homeland and "Tauras" military district was on the way to home, in the South of Lithuania, near the border with Poland. The border became the Iron curtain, which was not possible to cross.

Most of those German soldiers fell bravely fighting till the very end shoulder to shoulder with Lithuanian warriors.

"Vytautas" brigade:
Helmut Gresser - "Garnys" - former captain in German "Luftwaffe";
Peter Gorgin - "Peteris" - machinegunner;

"Gelezinis Vilkas" brigade:
Hari Blumental - "Jonas";
Wilchelm Bach - "Vilchelmas";
"Hansas";
"Oskaras";
"Keitelis";
"Vilimas";
"Ernestas";
"Ernas";
"Vilis";
"Fliakas";

"Zalgiris" ("Grunwald" - ironically the name of famous "Battle of Tannenberg" in 1410, when German Crusaders' order was defeated) brigade:
"Hansas";
"Fricas";
"Fransas";
"Inkaras" (English - "The Anchor");
"Paulius";
"Jonas" (English - "John");
"Odisejas" (English - "Odyssey") - former war doctor in German army;
And others not recognized yet.

Tragic fate met Weitler Erich - "Berlynas" ("Berlin"). He was born in 1914, in the village of Erlich, Nordhausen province, Thüringen. He escaped from the Soviet POW camp in occupied Estonia in July of 1945. He walked alone to Lithuania, and joined the ranks of Lithuanian partisans in "Gelezinis Vilkas" ("The Iron Wolf") brigade. Here he met his German compatriots "Valteris"; "Josifas"; "Jonas"; "Ervinas"; "Erichas"; "Tigras" ("Tiger"); and others.

In the summer of 1946 with the approval of the Staff of the "Tauras" military district of Lithuanian Freedom Fighters, he gets the permission to leave "Gelezinis vilkas" brigade went to the Germany. He gets to the border near Vistytis, Lithuania and stayed in A.Duobaitis farmhouse, preparing for the right moment to cross the border. But unfortunately "Berlynas" was betrayed by his Lithuanian host - A.Duobaitis and was captured by the Russians in 18th of June 1946. In 10th of January 1947 Weitler Erich - "Berlynas" was sentenced to death penalty using the Soviet "law". During the official reading of the penalty Erich tried to escape again, but was shot by Russian NKVD, deadly injured and died after few minutes. There were thousands of such cruel fates of German Soldiers in occupied Lithuania.

(Information from the Lithuanian book: "Tada, kai zuvom del Tevynes" ("The time when we've fallen for the Homeland") Kaunas, 1996, ISBN 9986-577-19-5, issued by the "Union of Lithuanian political prisoners and deportees": http://www.lpkts.lt/ )

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”