German-Soviet 1939 joint parade

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
michael mills

Re: German-Soviet 1939 joint parade

Post by michael mills » 07 Oct 2012, 15:51

How the parade is interpreted in modern Polish historiography is quite relevant, I would think.

There appears to be a difference of opinion about whether the parade actually took place. Some posters who appear to have a pro-Soviet point of view seem to think that the parade did not take place, ie it was suggested by Guderian but Krivoshein refused.

On the other side, the parade appears to be interpreted as a symbol of German-Soviet cooperation to destroy Poland; that interpretation seems to be held by more right-wing Polish historians.

So the issue of whether the joint parade was an historical fact or not seems to be mired in a political dispute between Left and Right.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Re: German-Soviet 1939 joint parade

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 07 Oct 2012, 19:44

There is no doubt that the parade took place, judging by all available evidences.

By the way - in this video we can see a fragment of archival footage from September 1939 showing a "strange" flag - apparently prepared for one of Soviet-German meetings (or maybe for the joint parade in Brest-Litovsk?):

It can be seen at 6:15 of this video (I will also post a screen showing it below):

A strange Soviet-Nazi flag with both Soviet hammer and sickle & Nazi swastika symbols:

seems to be mired in a political dispute between Left and Right.
I don't think so. Polish political Left, Right and Center all acknowledge the fact that the parade took place.
There are words which carry the presage of defeat. Defence is such a word. What is the result of an even victorious defence? The next attempt of imposing it to that weaker, defender. The attacker, despite temporary setback, feels the master of situation.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”