Partisans in Belarus

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
_Viktor_

Post by _Viktor_ » 21 Jul 2005, 20:19

Serus wrote: You can believe it or not - but modern historiography tries not to "emphasize things that are more agreable to them".
No, I don't believe it.
Serus wrote: "Modern Polish opinion" (that you misquoted and distorted btw) - has nothing to do with historiography, if someone writes in a book that "all soviet partisans were murderers" and "all Polish partisans were heroes", without enough evidence to support the claims then you will have a reason to dismiss this one specific title writen by one specific man - not all "western" or "Polish" historigraphy.
I did not distort it. I correctly quoted the message which I think reflects the opinions of other forumists from Poland:
Molobo wrote: Some Soviet partisans commited atrocities on Polish population or worked in establishing Soviet dictatorship in Poland.Some were true heroes fighting for independence and against genocide commited by Soviets and Reich.
I said:
Or, look at the modern Polish opinion (above): the partisans who fought for the Soviets "committed atrocities on the Polish population", while those who fought against both Soviets and Nazis were "true heroes".
I also gave my reasons for doubting that: the Partisan movement was taken seriously by USSR and partisans received all kinds of help and their actions were coordinated from Moscow by a special body. It is very difficult to accept that USSR during that particular war at that particular stage would continually waste its resources on people who are able only to intimidate peasants. Likewise, it is difficult to believe that "Polish" partisans, without receiving help (provisions, ammunitions, etc, etc) from outside, were still able to effectively fight against Nazis.
Thanks, that's a bit more informative. If one accepts this as true (note however the initial overexaggerated claims in the beginning of the thread), this is not a reason to throw dirt on all the partisans.

Molobo
Banned

Post by Molobo » 21 Jul 2005, 23:22

it is difficult to believe that "Polish" partisans, without receiving help (provisions, ammunitions, etc, etc) from outside
Polish partisants used equipment hidden before and during September Campaign. Organisation and contact was made thru
Polish Govt. in exile. Further funds and equipment were provided by Allied airdrops.Provisions, basic material were provided by population(almost everybody helped the resistance in Poland).While do you write "Polish" not Polish ?

It is very difficult to accept that USSR during that particular war at that particular stage would continually waste its resources on people who are able only to intimidate peasants.
Nobody said that, but besides fighting German Reich forces those partisants often attacked resistance group like Home Army and often resorted to robberies, since local population in Polish areas didn't view them as liberators. The reason of course is simple-in Soviet occupied areas from 1939 communist were making repressions against the population, and remaining communist forces in hidding were often viewed as remaining forces of the former occupying power.To implement their and Soviet rule they also used terror as example of Koniuchy shows.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”