Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Ezboard

Surprise?

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002 14:11

Andreas Broberg
Unregistered
(12/29/00 5:29:53 pm)
Reply Surprise?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys, nice forum!

Was the german invasion really a surprise for the russians?
Surely they noticed the massive german forces on their border?

Andreas

Mr L L
Unregistered
(12/29/00 8:05:02 pm)
Reply Who on first?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The invasion - no. The timing was, as Stalin expected German attack in 1942 and was sure to beat Hitler to it. After all, the German economy was not up to prolonged war, and Stalin knew that.
Mr. L. L.

Patriote
(12/31/00 12:19:03 am)
Reply June 22 1941 Barbarossa
Stalin was still believing in that pact sign by Molotov and Ribentrop at that. It`s true that the Germans had a lot of division in Poland ready to invate the Soviet Union. And also the attack was suppose to begin in the spring of 1941.

Goran
Unregistered
(12/31/00 12:55:27 am)
Reply First?
Were Stalin preparing to attack Germany when Hitler attacked?

Wehr101
(12/31/00 2:02:01 am)
Reply Re: First?
Actually, I thought that Zuhkov (I think that's how you spell it) offered a mobilization idea to Stalin before Barbarossa even started. Stalin refused the idea and didn't think that Germany would invade, he was wrong of course.

I don't think Stalin saw the hopelessness of the German economy until after Stalingrad. Stalin was prepared to leave Moscow when it was being threatened. Doesn't sound like a leader that's sure of his armies' force.

Anssi Hakkinen
(12/31/00 2:11:38 am)
Reply Re: First?
It's spelled Zhukov. And Stalin may or may not have had faith in his forces, but he couldn't ignore the facts: the Germans were at one point very close to taking Moscow, no matter what state their economy was in.

Josef Terzian
(12/31/00 8:14:32 am)
Reply Re: Surprise?
Yes I do believe the Russians were surprised despite the obvious circumstances. Reports of German buildups on the Russian border were reported despite the Wehrmacht's attempts to camoflauge their frontline units. These reports however were disregarded by Stalin and as stated previously the supposed invasion was precieved by Stalin to occur at a later date. However, from an earlier posting, I was under the impression that Stalin remained at the Kremlin in Moscow in defiance even though most of the important officials of the communist government had moved off to the rear once the German army was only a few kilometers away. I believe that the invasion was inevitable despite the pact between Berlin and Moscow. Germany needed Russia's vast resources including oil, wheat as well as other crucially important mineral supplies to counter the British blockade of the sea trading routes.

Josef

Anssi Hakkinen
(12/31/00 3:29:43 pm)
Reply Re: Surprise?
The official Soviet propaganda was that Stalin remained behind to direct the defence of the capital, but we all know how reliable that stuff is. Stalin may have visited Moscow at some point during the final stages of Typhoon, but his official command post wasn't there anymore.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”