Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Ezboard

Units in the Battle of Berlin?

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 15:13

George Huelse
Unregistered
(12/25/00 6:33:15 pm)
Reply Units in the Battle of Berlin?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know of a list on the web that lists the units that fought in the Battle of Berlin? Also, does anyone know what foreign units fought there?

Thanks.

Gareth Collins
(12/26/00 11:52:48 pm)
Reply Berlin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello George,
I can give you the OoB of Heeresgruppe Vistula on 12 April 1945, this army group contained all the units which fought in the Battle of Berlin;

9. Armee
V. SS-Gebirgskorps (391. Inf.Div.; 32. SS-Pz-Gren-Div.; Div. 'Rägener').
XI. SS-Korps (712. Inf.Div.; 169.Inf.Div.; 303 Inf.Div.; 20. Pz-Gren-Div; 9. Fallschirmjäger-Div.; Pz.Gruppe 'Kurmark').
CI. Armeekorps ('Groß Berlin' Inf.Div.; 606 Inf.Div.; 5. Jäger-Div.).
Army Reserve: 600 Russian Division; LVI. PzKps; 25 Pz.Gren.Div.; 'Munchenberg Div.; 286. FAus.Div.

Regards,
gfc

George Huelse
Unregistered
(12/28/00 12:46:38 am)
Reply Danke shön!
Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

Did any of the Spanish SS stay to fight in the Battle of Berlin?

Thanks.

Marcus Wendel
Webmaster
(12/28/00 8:55:50 pm)
Reply Re: Danke shön!
George,

Parts of Spanische-Freiwilligen-Kompanie der SS 101 fought in Berlin.

/Marcus

George Huelse
Unregistered
(12/28/00 8:57:11 pm)
Reply Interesting.
Most interesting. I though they were shipped back to Spain before the fall of Germany. I guess some stayed. It would be interesting to read their account of the battle.

Thanks all for the help.

Wiederstand
(12/29/00 12:40:53 am)
Reply Foreign Units
An interesting story regarding this topic is from the book The Fall of Berlin by A. Read & D. Fisher. One unit of approx. 90 men, mostly French, made their way into Berlin just prior to its encirclement. Led by SS Brigadefuehrer Dr. Gustav Krukenberg, these men were from the recently disbanded Charlemagne Panzergrenadier SS Division. They were mistakenly attacked by Volkssturm units as they entered, believing them to be Russians.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”