Battle Of Breslau 1945

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Ezboard

Battle Of Breslau 1945

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 20:53

glamdring
(6/13/01 11:56:46 am)
Reply Battle Of Breslau 1945
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am interested in the datails of the Battle of Breslau and I wonder is there any books in English which describe it in detail
Perhaps some of the very learned people who frequent this very interesting site could give me the order of battle for the Attackers and defenders. Also do we now know anything definite about the fate of Karl Hanke . I have read so many different stories starting with his escape from the doomed city by prototype helicopter . Thanks

Stephen
(6/13/01 1:02:56 pm)
Reply Breslau
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Lucas' book "Last Days of the Reich" has a chapter on the siege of Breslau.

As for Hanke, I have variously read that he fled the city either by prototype helicopter or Fiesler Storch. He is supposed to have died either:

(1) being shot by Czech partisans trying while escaping arrest shortly after the surrender

(2) beaten to death by said partisans

(3) executed by the Poles.

Stephen

Andy Hill
(6/13/01 8:04:41 pm)
Reply Re: Battle Of Breslau 1945
Try Christopher Duffy's work "Red Storm on the Reich. The Soviet March on Germany,1945", published by Routledge. ISBN 0-415-22829-8.

The city approched were defended by the 269th Infantry d Division (From the Western Front) and the 17th Infantry Division (From the Vistula). However thet were forbidden to br trapped so on February 13th-14th they fought there way out, leaving the city come the 14th/15th, encircled.

The Garrison numbered some 45-50,000, which included some 15,000 Volkssturm, which was divided into 26 combat teams, 10 construction btn's,2 training btn's and numerous smaller unit's. The FAMO organisation built the Eisenbahnpanzerzug Poersel (Commanded by 1st Lieutenent Poersel) and armooured train with 88mm,37mm and 20mm AA guns plus MG42's. It's final tally was 7 Tanks & 3 Aircraft destroyed.

A further 2 Battalions of Parachutists were flown into the city by March 3rd, under the control of Hanke as some "Elite Striking" to reach Schorner's command.

In terms of major/regular units that formed part of the Breslau garrison, I can only find the following:
609th Division zBv
"Sachsenheimer" K ???

The Russian 3 Guards Army encircled the city with the 6th Army taking over nearer the end.

Hope this helps

Andy Hill

glamdring
(6/13/01 10:51:41 pm)
Thanks for the interesting reply Andy and I will certainly check out the book you mentioned

glamdring
(6/13/01 11:06:56 pm)
Reply Re: Breslau
Thanks also Stephen . Yes pretty much the same stories that I have heard about Karl Hanke . Looks like another case where the true story will never be known

Otto Freischer
(6/14/01 7:34:10 am)
"Red Storm on the Reich", is a very good book on the period! I used it to recreate the huge Soviet offensive on Jan 16, 1945. I used the 'Panzer Blitz-Panzer Leader' Avaoln Hill wargames to do this. In my scenario, the Germans are succesful in killing A.H. and sue for peace. The West agrees, but Stalin refuses on the grounds that 'Mother Russia' will have her revenge. The West objects to the attroicities being committed against civilians and the cavarly comes to the rescue,(in the form of a British and Ami armoured attack agaist the Russians,(ala Patton's wish)).

Otto

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”