Invasion vs Occupation

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Dan

Post by Dan » 02 Apr 2002, 22:17

Antti, if Estonia's currency was pegged to the Deutchmark, then it now carries the value of the Euro.

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 03 Apr 2002, 02:18

Benoit,

I don't know about that. If Germany won the war there would be no Poland today. There would be Polish culture, but only overseas, in the US, Canada and so on. On the other hand, the Soviet Union occupied Poland for 45 years, and Polish culture thrived. Actually, in many ways, the Communist system boosted Polish national feeling (though it did that for its own twisted aims).

And whether Poles hate the Russians more than the Germans? It really depends on who you talk to in Poland. It depends on their family history. Those from the east hate the Russians more, while those from the west hate the Germans. Of course, when I say "they hate", they don't just hate everyone who's Russian or German. It's more like looking back at history and trying to decide who did us more harm (though I'm sure some people do actually hate all Germans or Russians, but they usually shave their heads, wear Doc Martin boots, and beat the crap out of migrants). And yes, Poles do have a very positive view of Canada. I think yours is one of the western countries that we are trying to model ourselves on in many ways.

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 03 Apr 2002, 03:13

P.S.

Half of my family was sent to Siberia by the Russians for being part of the "intelligentsia". They lived near Lake Baikal and came back home after the war. They all survived, but others weren't as fortunate.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”