Panzer-Regiment 5; Panzers Damaged/Destroyed

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
MarkN

Re: Panzer-Regiment 5; Panzers Damaged/Destroyed

Post by MarkN » 08 Dec 2017, 13:52

Urmel wrote:The planners for the establishment of Sperrverband Afrika never expected the mileage that the tanks accumulated. All these tanks were supposed to do was mill about around Sirte and block a British advance on Tripoli.
True.

But it would be inadviseable to discount the possibility that those very same planners started to consider greater distance and mechanical reliability after it was decided to upscale the committment to a pair of 'panzer divisions' with the express intent of going on the offensive some time in May. They may even have fallen back on some planning assumptions that they had originally considered for a the 3.Pz-Div deployment of 1940 to assist the Italians in taking the Suez. I, personally, very much doubt that the January 1941 'Sperrverband Afrika' planning for the deployment of 30 pantsers went unrevised when, in early Feb, it was decided to send an offensive force of almost 300 pantsers.
Urmel wrote: It was Rommel getting carried away that turned these tanks into maintenance liabilities.
Again true. But he was only jumping the gun on what was assumed to occur 6-8 weeks hence.
Don Juan wrote: I interpreted your comment as an assertion that PR 5 had been overhauled prior to their involvement in Crusader i.e. that British overhauls, as demonstrated by 2 RTR during Brevity, were so bad that the poor mechanical performance of PR 5 during Crusader could not be used as evidence of the absence of an overhaul.
Well, I was suggesting that the poor mechanical reliability of Pz.Regt.5 pantsers up to and during Op Brevity shouldn't be used as evidence of the absence of German overhauls. 2RTR's pantser reliability in the approach to Op Brevity shows that - at least as far as British pantsers are concerned - mechanical reliability after complete overhaul was hardly better, if at all, than before overhaul.
Don Juan wrote: If you are now conceding that PR 5 had not been overhauled prior to Crusader, then we are both on the same page.
My position is that we have no documentary evidence that 'proves beyond doubt' that the Germans were, or were not, conducting overhauls. Circumstantial evidence seems to suggest they had the capability to conduct full overhauls. The same circumstantial evidence would also seem to suggest that the Germans were doing 'staged' maintenance rather than taking serviceable (but tired) pantsers out of the line to fully zero-hour them.
Don Juan wrote: If you are also asserting that generally speaking British overhauls weren't all that great, then we are still on the same page.
I think the evidence points to overhauled tanks not being and better reliability wise than prior to overhaul. And thus, as already noted, I consider the entire 'overhaul' question to be a bit of a red herring in some of these discussions.

Nevertheless, in the round we are indeed pretty much on the same page.
Don Juan wrote: I'm very keen to see a schedule of flights to North Africa after June 1941, and the consequent delivery of spares. I don't mind being proved wrong on this if the info is forthcoming.
Not sure what point specifically you mean when looking for evidence to be proven wrong. The Germans were keeping a significant proportion of their pantsers battle-worthy. Enough pantsers to be able to shoo-off the British on multiple occasions. Even Op Crusader was a German win until Rommel contrived to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Whether they were keeping their pantsers capable of combat through spares shipped in, flown in, locally tin-tapped spares or just plain sticky-tape and chewing gum fixes is largely irrelevant to the larger picture. Of course, of major interest to those wanting to know 'how' they did it.

Don Juan

Post by Don Juan » 08 Dec 2017, 23:19

MarkN wrote: Not sure what point specifically you mean when looking for evidence to be proven wrong. The Germans were keeping a significant proportion of their pantsers battle-worthy. Enough pantsers to be able to shoo-off the British on multiple occasions. Even Op Crusader was a German win until Rommel contrived to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Whether they were keeping their pantsers capable of combat through spares shipped in, flown in, locally tin-tapped spares or just plain sticky-tape and chewing gum fixes is largely irrelevant to the larger picture. Of course, of major interest to those wanting to know 'how' they did it.
I think you've made some fair points. My own view from what I've picked up regarding both Sonnenblume and Barbarossa is that German medium tanks weren't up to the job of long distance operations, maintenance resources were patchy, and spares provision was highly variable. The British were in much the same boat (although the particular factors differed in their weighting) which is why both sides could garner victories during this period, but not decisive ones.
"The demonstration, as a demonstration, was a failure. The sunshield would not fit the tank. Altogether it was rather typically Middle Easty."
- 7th Armoured Brigade War Diary, 30th August 1941

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 10 Dec 2017, 19:32

Don Juan wrote:
MarkN wrote: Not sure what point specifically you mean when looking for evidence to be proven wrong. The Germans were keeping a significant proportion of their pantsers battle-worthy. Enough pantsers to be able to shoo-off the British on multiple occasions. Even Op Crusader was a German win until Rommel contrived to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Whether they were keeping their pantsers capable of combat through spares shipped in, flown in, locally tin-tapped spares or just plain sticky-tape and chewing gum fixes is largely irrelevant to the larger picture. Of course, of major interest to those wanting to know 'how' they did it.
I think you've made some fair points. My own view from what I've picked up regarding both Sonnenblume and Barbarossa is that German medium tanks weren't up to the job of long distance operations, maintenance resources were patchy, and spares provision was highly variable. The British were in much the same boat (although the particular factors differed in their weighting) which is why both sides could garner victories during this period, but not decisive ones.
I think we have been very carefully dancing around the quite obvious elephant in the room. Namely, that early WW2 pantsers from all the manufacturers / participants (German, British, French, Italian, Czech and Russian) suffered terrible reliability problems due to the lack of maturity in design and poor manufacturing efforts. Overhauls and even manufacturer's guide to time between overhauls were mostly an irrelevancy since the majority of pantsers had already conked out long before that mileage / engine time had been reached.

The Germans at least seemed to have grasped the prime objective of their field maintence support was to get broken tanks back into battle-worthy condition. The British seemed more bothered with maintaining peace-time soldiering standards and practices.

The British could get to Algeria in 1943 because they found manufacturers that could deliver reasonably reliable panters and invested heavily in tank-transporters. It wasn't because the had better grease monkeys or the RAOC/REME had come up with a war-winning maintenace and overhaul strategy.

ClintHardware

Post by ClintHardware » 11 Dec 2017, 14:17

MarkN wrote: The British seemed more bothered with maintaining peace-time soldiering standards and practices.
Of course.

I have found nine panzers that could be made operable from the "Stationary Abteilung" at Tobruk on the 16th May - So Bolbrinker was really motoring after a fortnight's cannabilistic repairs. I am guessing about the cannabilism but you would have to prove it did not happen to be believed.
Imperialism and Re-Armament NOW !

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 11 Dec 2017, 15:45

ClintHardware wrote: I have found nine panzers that could be made operable from the "Stationary Abteilung" at Tobruk on the 16th May - So Bolbrinker was really motoring after a fortnight's cannabilistic repairs. I am guessing about the cannabilism but you would have to prove it did not happen to be believed.
I don't have to prove anything about non-cannibalisation.

I refer you back to this thread: I. Panzer-Regiment 5 nicht vollständig rollen at https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic ... 6&t=227085 in particular this post
5.lei-Div KTB Ia notes I./PzRegt.5 ordered and moving forward to Sollum area 16 May 1941.

It also notes for 13 May 1941 the following Gefechtstärke for I./Pz.Rgt. 5: 1./I, 12./II, 17./III and 5./IV. It is not entirely clear whether this includes or excludes the various detatchments of small numbers of panzers that it had 'loaned' to various Italian units and formations.
... and this thread Panzer Regiment 5 KTB Query at https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic ... 6&t=211558 where the following is written by YOU...
Sonntag, 4.5.41
Im Morgengrauen kehrt der abgestellte Zug Lt.Schorm gurueck. Die Pz. Der I.Abt. ruecken ab, die 7.Kp. wird aufgeloest. Der Tag verlaeuft ohne bes.Ereignisse. Um 18.00 Uhr wird die Rede des Fuehrers zum Abschluss
In otherwords, I. Panzer-Regiment 5 was no longer a "Stationary Abteilung" when its contribution of pantsers to the Pz.Abt.Hohman attack on 1 May returned on 4 May.

ClintHardware

Post by ClintHardware » 11 Dec 2017, 19:35

MarkN wrote: I don't have to prove anything about non-cannibalisation.
Oh go on...don't hold yourself back.

I am sure the reference to Stationary Abteilung was used by someone as Hohmann took what was still operationally sufficient to travel as far as the frontier about the 9th May. 'D' Sqn 7th RTR knocked one of the nine (a "light tank") out apparently on the 17th May. There will not be any German records concerning this.

If I am wrong about Stationary meaning stationary I apologise. I will check my stuff when get back from Berlin.

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 12 Dec 2017, 00:22

ClintHardware wrote: I am sure the reference to Stationary Abteilung was used by someone as Hohmann took what was still operationally sufficient to travel as far as the frontier about the 9th May.
The majority of the battle-ready pantsers from the whole of Pz.Regt.5 were placed under Hohman's command for the 1 May assault. The quote YOU provided shows all those not belonging to II.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 returning to their parent unit (I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 or stab/Pz.Regt.5) on 4 May. Bollbrinker's I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 was a "Stationary Abteilung" just for those 4-5 days.

II.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 went forward to the Sollum area on 9 May with pantsers from II.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 (and maybe a couple of Pz.IV loaned from I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 - posting off the top of my head)
I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 went forward to the Sollum area on 16 May with pantsers from I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5.
Stab/Pz.Regt.5 remained in the Tobruk vicinity with pantsers from its own zuge.
Pantsers in werkstatt care were located to the west of Tobruk.

Both Abteilung sent forward were a fair way short of establishment as many tanks were still in werkstatt's care. Others were elsewhere - such as 801 which was still sitting in a farm near Barce on of 1 May!!!! Since the werkstatt kps were located west of Tobruk, any pantsers moving back to their parent units in the Sollum area would have passed by Tobruk.

There is thus significant scope for pantsers to be seen in the Tobruk area after both I. and II.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 had left for the border.
ClintHardware wrote: 'D' Sqn 7th RTR knocked one of the nine (a "light tank") out apparently on the 17th May. There will not be any German records concerning this.
Perhaps it was an Italian pantser and details are to be found in Italian records. Maj Rizzi's Pz.Abt. from Ariete took over Bollbrinker's positions when he motored forward on 16 May with I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5.

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 14 Dec 2017, 23:07

ClintHardware wrote: I am sure the reference to Stationary Abteilung was used by someone as Hohmann took what was still operationally sufficient to travel as far as the frontier about the 9th May. 'D' Sqn 7th RTR knocked one of the nine (a "light tank") out apparently on the 17th May. There will not be any German records concerning this.
I have German documentation which provides detail of the German forces in the area which D/7RTR attacked in conjunction with 2/23 Battalion AIF on 17 May. The skirmish where the D/7RTR WD states...
Our tanks were withdrawn at 0830 hrs. most of them sustained damage, but only one was seriously hit. 1 German light tank was put out of action.
The force in the area concerned was part of 15.Pz-Div not 5.lei-Div. The documents mention a zug of Pz.III and a specially converted light tank (a Gr. Pioniere) under the command of Pz.Pi.33. That latter tank, a Pz.I, coming from among the stab/Pz.Regt.5 establishment.
The evidence points to them NOT belonging to Bollbrinker's I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5. Which makes sense since he had motored forward with his Abteilung to the Sollum front the day before.

Don Juan

Post by Don Juan » 15 Dec 2017, 00:25

MarkN wrote: I think we have been very carefully dancing around the quite obvious elephant in the room. Namely, that early WW2 pantsers from all the manufacturers / participants (German, British, French, Italian, Czech and Russian) suffered terrible reliability problems due to the lack of maturity in design and poor manufacturing efforts. Overhauls and even manufacturer's guide to time between overhauls were mostly an irrelevancy since the majority of pantsers had already conked out long before that mileage / engine time had been reached.

The Germans at least seemed to have grasped the prime objective of their field maintence support was to get broken tanks back into battle-worthy condition. The British seemed more bothered with maintaining peace-time soldiering standards and practices.

The British could get to Algeria in 1943 because they found manufacturers that could deliver reasonably reliable panters and invested heavily in tank-transporters. It wasn't because the had better grease monkeys or the RAOC/REME had come up with a war-winning maintenace and overhaul strategy.
Nah.

The only people with real foresight were the Americans, who were the only people, straight from the off, who produced really durable tanks. But then they lived in by far the most technologically advanced country in the world at this time, so that isn't a surprise. You can argue, fairly, that the British started off clueless, but it's significant that the British benchmarked the Cromwell against the Sherman, as opposed to any German tank. On the other hand, German tanks actually got worse durability-wise as the war progressed.

It's a banal point that everyone was a bit crap compared to the Americans, I admit. But that does not stop it being true.
"The demonstration, as a demonstration, was a failure. The sunshield would not fit the tank. Altogether it was rather typically Middle Easty."

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 15 Dec 2017, 14:12

Hi Don Juan,
Don Juan wrote: The only people with real foresight were the Americans, who were the only people, straight from the off, who produced really durable tanks.
My previous references to the British sourcing tanks from alternative suppliers is pointed straight at the Americans. 8-)

Here are a couple of snippets from the same Australian IntSumm dated 22 May 1941.

Evidence (?) that the Italian tanks were experiencing the exact same problems as the British and German.

Whilst the Italian POW's words seem to indicate new tanks being brought in by air in sub-assemblies, I suspect this is a nice confirmation that tank parts were being flown in to rebuild crocked pantsers.

Don Juan

Post by Don Juan » 15 Dec 2017, 14:46

MarkN wrote: My previous references to the British sourcing tanks from alternative suppliers is pointed straight at the Americans. 8-)
Yes, that's true, but the British also improved their technical infrastructure, although again this was somewhat reliant on the Americans. IIRC, 4 CLY took 18 Crusaders 1000 miles from La Bomba to Medenine, and 15 completed that journey in serviceable condition. That was no mean feat.

The British did learn the durability lesson with the Cromwell. There's another aspect to durability which is outside the scope of this thread, concerning how it helped to reduce the need for technically skilled personnel. What is clear across the whole British war effort is how mechanized warfare created a ravenous appetite for skilled and semi-skilled personnel. I sometimes think that the British were fighting labour shortages more than they were fighting the Germans.

ClintHardware

Post by ClintHardware » 24 Dec 2017, 12:57

MarkN wrote: Bollbrinker's I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5.
Ernst Bolbrinker's I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 did not leave the Tobruk area and is not mentioned by Taysen as doing so. Why would Taysen have missed this? Other statements made post war are unclear on this point and appear to be conflating units and their nomenclature.

Only about nine panzers were seen to attack on the 17th and yet they were supporting some significant German counter attacks in terms of infantry during the 16th/17th and during the day of the 17th. The Australian attacks were a golden opportunity for the Axis troops to either break through and take Tobruk or eliminate significant numbers of the attackers/defenders to set up a later attempt - and yet they failed to do so. There had been at least 14 days to make repairs with what had been left by Hohmann with I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5. Hohmann had a massive 47 panzers out of the possible 155 in a firefight on the 12th May on the frontier. Numbers were around that number for the 15th May at the frontier. The panzers within the Australian infantry positions (S8, S9, S10, S7 and S6 etc) had very little effect according to the Australians and it was the schutzen who played the key role in attacking them.

If the panzers on the 17th were from Pz.Regt.8 the situation for I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 at Tobruk looks grimmer still unless it was another regiment's turn.

The above is from memory only so you have my apologies for any errors.

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 22 Mar 2018, 18:08

ClintHardware wrote:
MarkN wrote: Bollbrinker's I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5.
Ernst Bolbrinker's I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 did not leave the Tobruk area and is not mentioned by Taysen as doing so. Why would Taysen have missed this? Other statements made post war are unclear on this point and appear to be conflating units and their nomenclature.
To repeat, yet again, I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 went forward from the SW of Tobruk area to the Capuzzo/Sollum area on 16 May. That is stated in at least 3 contemporary primary sources.

Back to the question of the mechanical state of Pz.Regt.5 pantsers after the desert dash, I found the following. It is the first paragraph from a report from the DAK Oberquartiermeister to OKH General-Quartiermeister in Berlin. Dated 10 April 1941.
Durch die Offensive zur Ruckgewinnung der Cyreneika ist von dem wenigen Panzern, uber die das Deutsche Afrikakorps verfugt, ein im Augenblick zu ubersehender Ausfall von 60% entstanden. Da die Bewegungen zur Zeit noch vollsten Gange sind, ist mit weiterem starken Ausfall zu rechnen. Es handelt sich dabei besonders um Motorshaden am Pz. III (5cm) Mot.Modell Maybach H.L.120 T.R.M. einschliesslich Kurbelwellen.

ClintHardware

Post by ClintHardware » 24 Mar 2018, 15:33

MarkN wrote: To repeat, yet again, I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 went forward from the SW of Tobruk area to the Capuzzo/Sollum area on 16 May. That is stated in at least 3 contemporary primary sources.
I completely doubt this to be true. I am happy to be corrected but you haven't managed to do so with evidence - so far.

Has anyone seen Major-General W. W. Richards 3 page translation of the 5th May Werkstatt-Kompanie report. If you want to see it PM me.

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 24 Mar 2018, 17:06

ClintHardware wrote: Has anyone seen Major-General W. W. Richards 3 page translation of the 5th May Werkstatt-Kompanie report. If you want to see it PM me.
Thank you for your offer, but I already have a copy of the 4-page translation put out by GHQ ME as an Intelligence Summary and I also have a copy of the original 10-page document in German.
ClintHardware wrote:
MarkN wrote: To repeat, yet again, I.Abt/Pz.Regt.5 went forward from the SW of Tobruk area to the Capuzzo/Sollum area on 16 May. That is stated in at least 3 contemporary primary sources.
I completely doubt this to be true. I am happy to be corrected but you haven't managed to do so with evidence
You have posted evidence of this movement yourself. If you choose to deny it's existence so as not to upset your fantasies, so be it.

Additionally, I have already provided you with two further confirmatory pieces of evidence from primary source documentation. If you choose to ignore that too because I am not providing it in the style and format that you demand, so be it.
ClintHardware wrote: - so far.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm tired of your games now but it was fun for a while watching your desperate efforts with this. See, you're not as clever as you thought. If you want the exact words quoted to you, with an appropriate academic reference attached, so you can reproduce it in your book to sell for money - contact me by PM and we can discuss my researcher's fee.

Remember Clinthardware, you have stated that you are an author who is working with (and reproducing) this material for financial gain. Good for you. I have no problem with that. But if you expect me to provide you with the information in the style and format that you demand then I think it quite right and proper that you should make a reasonable contribution to the costs I have incurred doing my my research. From outside the EU, flights to the UK, Germany and Italy do not come cheap, nor does the car hire or the hotac costs.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”