Zejtun Square, Malta bombing

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
South
Financial supporter

Zejtun Square, Malta bombing

Postby South » 14 May 2018 11:10

https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/v ... -ii.679013

Good morning all,

Above about a commemoration and a reenactment of subject.

One reenactment photo shows a field jacket with the shoulder patch of the US 101st Airborne Division.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Sid Guttridge

Re: Zejtun Square, Malta bombing

Postby Sid Guttridge » 14 May 2018 12:11

Hi South,

It is sometimes sad how re-enactment disrespects and distorts history. The photos particularly show German W-SS and American soldiers. Neither was slated to serve on Malta.

My mother, who is still alive, served as a cipher operator in naval headquarters on Malta throughout the war. She would be sickened by the sight of them. I will not be telling her because of the possible consequences to her health. I wouldn't want here to join her late grandmother (d.1941) by becoming the last fatality of the Siege of Malta!

I would also suggest that it is deeply insulting to turn the commemoration of multiple deaths into a fancy dress party.

Re-enactors should show more respect for the dead and less self-centred, self indulgence on these occasions. If they want to show respect, turn up in sober modern civilian clothes.

I am all in favour of re-enacting as an educational hobby, but the participants should always remember that they are play-acting and not part of the real events.

The local council should also feel ashamed of itself for turning something for sober reflection into a performing arts circus.

Cheers,

Sid.

South
Financial supporter

Postby South » 14 May 2018 14:19

Good morning Sid,

Very interesting re your mom's naval assignment on WWII Malta. Wishing her all the best.

I fully accept all your points re reenactors.

Yet, what is the difference between reenactors and authors of history books and articles ? All have agendas with only a few concerned with the "what really happened".

Plus, it's not just reenactors and pubs. Arlington National Cemetery is now a defacto tourist attraction. Tour buses and high school kids on "educational" trips eclipse Arlington's overall status as a graveyard. Orde Wingate's site is a tourist attraction now.

It's not just Malta's local council.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Sid Guttridge

Postby Sid Guttridge » 16 May 2018 18:11

Hi South,

The difference between reenactors and authors in this context is that authors do not tend to intrude publicly on such occasions and undermine their dignity. (Authors can intrude in other, less public, ways by bothering veterans and infringing their right to privacy, etc., so they are not necessarily all saints either).

Yup, it is not just one Malta council. I also protested in a similar vane when the remains of the crew of the CSS Huntley were buried with a guard of US Civil War re-enactors at some US (CS?) state capitol. I feel it demeans the true seriousness and gravity of these occasions to mix a hobby, however educational and well-meaning in intent, with real life, death, blood, sweat, fear and sadness.

Reenacting certainly has its place, but not at the graveside.

Cheers,

Sid.

South
Financial supporter

Postby South » 17 May 2018 11:52

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/billsearch. ... &summary=B

Good morning Sid,

Believe it was at South Carolina's state capital, Columbia, S.C. where the CSS Hunley "lie in state" honor guard

occurred.

The guards were reeneactors but also each was an official of a prominent historical association or veterans' group.

Like I've said about eg Arlington National Cemetery, we are witnesses to reverence transitioning to hedonism.....involving places for tourism/pleasure.

The Peppermint Lounge, Greenwich Village, New York City, is now no less a sacred site than eg the Key West, Florida cemetery section with the USS Maine mast (portion of it) with KIA from the vessel.

At least we're also witnesses to the disestablishment of citizen militaries and the public's disdain for reverence. We know the truth.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”