Artillery Fire Tasks Query arising during BATTLEAXE

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Sheldrake

Re: Artillery Fire Tasks Query arising during BATTLEAXE

Post by Sheldrake » 23 Feb 2021, 15:59

Tom from Cornwall wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 18:59
I’m not a gunner but was just wondering if they were using the terms DF and CP to differentiate who was calling for the fire and who would adjust it?

DF called for and adjusted for the infantry through a FOO, whereas a CP would have been called for and directed via formal RA channels as part of an organised shoot by the Command Post of each battery. So one defensive and the other more offensive?

Having said that, it might mean “china plate” and refer to the quality of the food in the officers’ mess. :D Don’t tell the RHA that though...

Regards

Tom
Tom, nice ideas, especially the china plate, but no. It doesn't work that way. Check Nigel Evan's page on WW2 engagement of targets https://nigelef.tripod.com/maindoc.htm# ... %20TARGETS

ClintHardware

Post by ClintHardware » 25 Feb 2021, 19:21

Tom from Cornwall wrote:
I’m not a gunner but was just wondering if they were using the terms DF and CP to differentiate who was calling for the fire and who would adjust it?

DF called for and adjusted for the infantry through a FOO, whereas a CP would have been called for and directed via formal RA channels as part of an organised shoot by the Command Post of each battery. So one defensive and the other more offensive?

Regards

Tom
I hadn't thought of that but its a very logical possibility.

In terms of Counter Mortar there wasn't a lot of incoming mortar fire on the 16/6/41 to warrant such a differentiation - so probably not.
Imperialism and Re-Armament NOW !

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 25 Feb 2021, 20:39

ClintHardware wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 19:21
Tom from Cornwall wrote:

Regards

Tom
I hadn't thought of that but its a very logical possibility.

In terms of Counter Mortar there wasn't a lot of incoming mortar fire on the 16/6/41 to warrant such a differentiation - so probably not.
Again, it did not work like that. DFs were planned with the infantry as were the targets for an offensive fireplan, also given target numbers and sometimes grouped with a nickname. Artillery did not share Registration/check/calibration points with the infantry. These points were engaged purely to improve the accuracy of artillery fire and the sort of Gunner mumbo-jumbo that made the average infanteer or tankie's eyes glaze over. (along with "zone" "cold gun effect" "mixed batches" and "theatre survey")

ClintHardware

Post by ClintHardware » 02 Mar 2021, 18:38

Thanks for pointing that out Sheldrake.
Imperialism and Re-Armament NOW !

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”