Combeforce at Beda Fomm

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
jwsleser

Combeforce at Beda Fomm

Post by jwsleser » 22 Jan 2022, 20:19

I am attempting to establish the actual lay-down of Combeforce on the morning of 6 Feb 1941. From the materials to which I have access, there are several significant variations to the positioning of the various companies/squadron/batteries. I am hoping that someone here has access to the war diaries of the various units that could provide primary source information.

Lattimer’s Operation Compass 1940 (pp.75-76) has C/11 H to the west of the road, A Coy blocking the road, two coys east of the road, with one coy in reserve behind the two companies, along with the artillery. A/KDG is south of the position watching for Italian movement from the south.

Desert Rats has A and B Coys astride the road, S Coy between the road and the sea, and C Coy in reserve west of the road. C/11 H is east of the road and the artillery is behind the infantry (possibly west of the road).

Dando's The impact of terrain on British operations and doctrine in North Africa 1940-1943 p.59 states the artillery was 4 miles east (I assume of the road). The cite is the 11H War Diary.

Playfair and Macksey's Beda Fomm lack tactical detail.

Any assistance?

Grazie! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Urmel

Re: Combeforce at Beda Fomm

Post by Urmel » 25 Jan 2022, 16:03

The 4 RHA and/or Support Group war diary may have that detail? The Lt. Col. Campbell who commanded the artillery in Combeforce is none other than 'Jock' Campbell.
RHQ.
While at MSUS another Force was formed consisting of 11th Hussars, less A & B Sqns, plus one Sqn of the KDGs, the Rifle Bde and guns under Lt Col Campbell, the whole force under command of Lt Col Combe.
RHQ left MSUS at first light in the tracks of C Sqn. The remainder of the Force followed a little later. On reaching ANTELAT, the B vehicles were left there and the 4 ACs plus Col Campbell in an 8cwt truck went on towards the main road. On arrival at SIDI SALEH the Colonel and Colonel Campbell carried out a recce. A suitable position for RHQ was found and the rest of the Sqn sent for. They eventually arrived with the rest of the Force. The guns were positioned and the Rifle Bde took up positions on the road.
http://www.warlinks.com/armour/11_hussars/11huss_41.php
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 25 Jan 2022, 17:08

Thank you for the link.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 25 Jan 2022, 18:18

Presume you have a detailed map?
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 25 Jan 2022, 19:09

I have been working with maps downloaded from various sites, include U of Texas. Main issue has been the lack of a 1:50K map, preferably with a 5 meter contour interval or smaller. Most of the 1:100K and smaller lack an interval that displays the nuances of the ground. For example, The Pimple doesn't show on these maps. The terrain used by Combeforce is also missing.

If you have a recommendation, I would be interested to view it.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”