El Alamein

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 13 Jun 2006, 17:36

JonS wrote:As I was reading these, it dawned on me that the 1990/91 Gulf war is about (roughly) as far removed from us in time as the Vietnam War was from those guys then.
Sorry for the late post, but I mised this.

It can be looked at a different way as well, the two are actually much closer I think than they are far removed, history is tricky that way. For instance, I once explained to my eldest son on a visit to Gettysburg in 2001 that his grandfather had been a Boy Scout assisting the last Northern and Southern Veterans who were there for the 75th Anniversary. So in a sense he was just one remove physically from the Civil War. :)

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 14 Jun 2006, 01:37

JonS wrote:As I was reading these, it dawned on me that the 1990/91 Gulf war is about (roughly) as far removed from us in time as the Vietnam War was from those guys then.
I have something even more mind-bending for me personally. In 1964, Life magazine put out a commemorative issue for the First World War. Looking through its pages at that time, it all seemed so far away, and even quaint, like from another century entirely, even though it was only 50 years. Now it's been more than 65 years since the beginning of the Second World War. Yet that event does not seem so far away to me.

Michael

Brad Hunter

Post by Brad Hunter » 15 Jun 2006, 22:05

RichTO90 wrote:
Sorry for the late post, but I mised this.

It can be looked at a different way as well, the two are actually much closer I think than they are far removed, history is tricky that way. For instance, I once explained to my eldest son on a visit to Gettysburg in 2001 that his grandfather had been a Boy Scout assisting the last Northern and Southern Veterans who were there for the 75th Anniversary. So in a sense he was just one remove physically from the Civil War. :)
So true. All of my grandparents were born in the late 19th century. Several of my great-uncles fought in WWI, and one of my paternal great-uncles fought in the Spanish-American War. They were fortunate enough to have inherited longevity (most living into their 90s, and one living until he was 106!), and I was fortunate enough to have met and spoken to most of them before they past away. As for the ACW (the "War of Northern Aggression" where I come from :D ), my maternal great-grandfather surrendered at Appomattox. The tales of hardship in the reconstruction and post-reconstruction South that I heard from my grandparents were heart-rending, but that's for another post...

So yes, it is very true that these events are not that far removed.

tigre

The Battle of El Alamein traced.

Post by tigre » 20 Jun 2006, 04:44

The actions on 26 october.

The British side.

The Australian (9. ID)attack during the night of 25 to 26 october was fulfilled successfully: At midnight two companies of 2/48 Battalion set off due north for about 1100 yards to overcome several enemy posts and secure the intermediate objective. From this start line, a third company in carriers navigated a mine-free route at high speed to Point 29. Exactly timed to reach the point on the cessation of a heavy artillery concentration, the carriers completely surprised the German garrison and in a hand-to-hand engagement quickly subdued all resistance in the immediate vicinity. Attempts to exploit further north, however, met strong opposition. The next phase of the operation did not go so smoothly. At 4 a.m. on the 26th, 2/24 Battalion, having assembled on the intermediate objective, advanced in a north-easterly direction, but found the enemy in deep and well-protected defences. 300 german were KIA. Previously that evening (25 october) a sketch of the minefields was found (from a POW) and then, at dusk, an enemy party was seen approaching 2/48 Battalion's outposts. Allowed to come well inside the lines before being attacked, this party provided two valuable prisoners, the acting commanders of 125 Regiment and its II Battalion.

However the 1. AD could not progress toward the west in the Kidney hill area. Thus, by the evening of the 26th, the Army Commander's orders for a screen of armour on the west of the Australian front had not yet been fulfilled, a screen that was vitally necessary if the Australian crumbling operations were to continue without interference from the enemy's armoured reserve. The men of the tank formations were by this time beginning to show the strain of continuous action.

The Highlanders on the northern part of their division's front came under fire throughout the 26th, but were saved from direct engagement against the counter-attacks by the tanks and motorised infantry sharing their front. Further south, away from the protection of the tanks, the Argyll and Sutherlanders in the ‘Nairn’ locality, approximately in the centre of the division's front and just short of the planned objective, could still only be joined by hazardous foot patrols.

The 1. ID (South Africans) and the 2. ID (New Zealand) advanced up to 1000 meters in the Miteiriya’s front; this very night the 7. Brigade (Motorized) could establish itself on the Kidney hill.

The situation on 26 october was as follows:

That night the plans for the final breaching operation were prepared.

We had more than 800 serviceable tanks and the ammunition situation was satisfactory, artillery losses had been small both in men and guns, and though the very heavy expenditure of ammunition had at times strained the supply arrangements, there was no real shortage. The whole of the supply organisation dealing with food, water and other essential requirements was in fact working extremely well; but the assault infantry divisions had had a great number of casualties and replacement weren’t on hand. The British casualties since the evening of the 23rd were assessed as 4643 men in 30 Corps, 455 in 10 Corps and 1037 in 13 Corps, a total for the army of 6135. Although this was not a high rate of loss in proportion to the number of troops involved, the casualties came mainly from those whose task it was to be in the forefront of the assault.

The XXX Corps needed a pause to carry out some minor changes in its organization.

The attack’s tempo was decreasing and the armoured divisions could not reach open ground yet.

On the evening october 26 Montgomery decided a reorganisation of his forces in order to set fresh reserves.

The first phase of the reorganisation was accomplished as follows:

The 2. ID (New Zealand) was withdrawn as reserve.

The 1. ID (South Africans) took over the New Zeland sector.

The 4. ID (Indian) relieved the South Africans and passed under control of XIII Corps.

Sources: “El Alamein to the River Sangro”. Mariscal de Campo Vizconde B. L. Montgomery. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires. Noviembre 1949.
“Operación Victoria”. Major general sir F. De Guingand. Tomo I. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires. Junio 1948.
"El 9. Regimiento Real de Lanceros de la Reina, 1936-1945". Joan Bright. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires.
http://www.nzetc.org/etexts/WH2Alam/index.html

The German side.

During the night 25 to 26 october we suffered again a great barrage of artillery. Rommel slept a few hours and around 05:00 hours (26 october) he was at his command vehicle. The artillery fire had lasted all night long. Strong formations of panzers were in the line. Soon after midnight the enemy took the point 28 (Kidney hill). Several counterattacks were launched with elements of the 15. Pz D, Division “Littorio” and one battalion of Bersaglieri all supported by both field and anti-aircraft artillery. These counter attacks progressed slowly due to the enemy resistance. Blood’s rivers ran for those wretched grounds. At dusk part of the Bersaglieri’s battalion occupied the eastern and western edges of the hill (Kidney) but the british troops remained in the centre. Rommel watched the assault from the north. During the day it was ordered that the 90. Le D and the kampfstaffel (the HQ security company) were ready to recover the point 28. Rommel, also, send the Division “Trieste” toward the east of El Daba. Late that afternoon German and Italian dive bombers attempted to destroy the enemy columns of trucks which were heading northwest, but were at first intercepted by around 60 English fighters and later checked by anti-aircraft fire.

By afternoon a group of roughly 160 british tanks smashed one battalion of the 164 Le. D and pierced our line south of the point 28 advancing toward southwest. After a hard fight what remained of our tanks (German and Italian) compeled the enemy tanks to withdraw. In front of the I./ Pz.R. 8 (Hptm Otto Stiefelmayer) remained the remnants of 3 anti tank guns, 2 self-propelled guns and 9 MG-carriers. 61 tanks were destroyed in the 15. Pz D and 56 tanks in the Division “Littorio”. In the I./ Pz R 8 remained 31 serviceable tanks out of 39.

Our supply situation was each time worse. The tanker “Proserpina” carrying fuel was sunk in front of Tobruk. Nevertheless it was ordered that the 21. Pz D should move to the north. At the same time Rommel notified the OKW (Hitler himself) that the battle would be lost if supplies would not arrived in time.

By the 26 of october 1942 the casualties had been the following:

Germans, 148 KIA, 495 wounded and 1057 MIA; Italians, 195 KIA, 424 wounded and 1372 MIA. The 15 Pz D had 39 serviceable tanks out of 100; the 21. Pz D had 98 serviceable tanks out of 106. The “Trieste” had 34 tanks; the “Ariete” had 127 tanks, having lost only 2 and the “Littorio” had 60 tanks, having lost 56.

Sources: “Memorias del Mariscal Rommel”. Tomo II. B.H. Lidell Hart. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires. Marzo 1955.
“Rommel y el Afrika Korps”. H.G. von Esebeck. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires. Abril 1955.
“El Ejército Alemán bajo Hitler”. S. Westphal. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires. Marzo 1953.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... er/PR8.htm

Regards. Tigre.
Attachments
El Alamein 23 - 30 Oct.jpg
El Alamein 23 - 30 Oct.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 23280 times

tigre

Post by tigre » 01 Jul 2006, 06:06

The actions on 27 and 28 october.

The British side.

In the half light before dawn when 2 Rifle Battalion, hastily dug in short of its ‘Snipe’ objective, opened fire on the enemy tanks and vehicles almost surrounding it. The commander of 1 Armoured Division told 2 Armoured Brigade to make a daylight reconnaissance before sending its regiments to ‘Woodcock’ but directed 24 Armoured to start at 4.30 a.m., as previously planned. As the tanks came slowly forward, the rifle battalion on ‘Snipe’ continued its lone battle, its guns firing on the enemy tanks to damage or destroy several and force the rest to move further away. During these engagements around ‘Snipe’, 2 Armoured Brigade had been trying to gain the high ground by Point 33 on the right rear of the proper ‘Woodcock’ objective, but had been held up by intense enemy fire Thus by midday the men in ‘Snipe’, on the withdrawal of British tanks to north and south, were left completely unsupported, but fortunately the enemy also chose this time to slacken his efforts.

During the 27 october the enemy launched several counter attacks against Kidney’s hill with armoured forces. These counter attacks were carried out by the 15. Pz and 21. Pz divisions (the latter was previously shifted toward the north). The enemy was rejected with great casualties. The 1. AD itself destroyed roughly 50 enemy tanks.

The Highland Division, except for its artillery, took little active part in the actions of the 27th, though its men in the northern part of the sector spent an uncomfortable day as the British tanks passed and re-passed, drawing enemy fire. The division took the opportunity of the presence of the tanks to strengthen its line and make firm contact with the various isolated groups scattered over its front.

On neither the New Zealand nor the South African front was there any counter-attack, though both sectors reported air attacks and heavy shellfire in the morning. Freyberg himself, after viewing the battlefield from Miteiriya Ridge, felt that the shelling possibly signified the thinning out of the enemy in front and ordered vigorous patrolling for the evening.

There were few hostile exchanges on 13 Corps' front during daylight on the 27th. Having sent its main armoured reserve to the northern part of the battle, the southern half of the Panzer Army had little desire to invite attack. At the same time 13 Corps was busy with regrouping to extend its front into 30 Corps' area and to fill up the gaps caused by the transfer of the main part of 7 Armoured Division to the north.

On 28 october, the enemy reconnoitered Kidney’s hill seeking weak points, both panzer divisions waited in the rear. During the night they reached theirs assembly areas but the RAF bombed and straffed its positions accurately and the enemy was beaten even before he could start.

On october 27 the Plan to breach the front’s northern sector was prepared. It was ordered that the 9 ID (Australian) launch one strong attack toward the north during the night of 28/29 of october.

Montgomery wanted to destroy the enemy bulge on the cost and then proceed toward the west with the XXX Corps along the road and rail road of Sidi abd el Rahman. The tanks should operate on the south in order to retain the foe’s armoured forces.

The XIII Corps located on the south should carry out defensive action mainly, increasing patrols and artillery fire on the enemy sector.

The second phase of the reorganisation was ordered as follows:

The 7. AD (plus one 44. ID’s brigade), one 50. ID’s brigade and the Greek Brigade should be shifted toward the northern sector from the XIII Corps’s sector.

One 50. ID’s brigade, relieved the 20. Brigade (Australian) in order to concentrate the australian forces for the future attack.

Taking in account that the Afrika Korps was facing the northern corridor the 1. AD plus the 24. Armoured Brigade were both withdrawn as reserves.

The 2. ID (New Zealand) was chosen to head the march to the west; the XIII Corps’s brigades should reinforce it when it was ordered.

Sources: “El Alamein to the River Sangro”. Mariscal de Campo Vizconde B. L. Montgomery. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires. Noviembre 1949.
“Operación Victoria”. Major general sir F. De Guingand. Tomo I. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires. Junio 1948.
"El 9. Regimiento Real de Lanceros de la Reina, 1936-1945". Joan Bright. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires.

The German side.

Early on october 27, english troops attacked toward the southwest from the area located south of Point 28. Around 10:00 hours Rommel went toward the telegraph line. Two formations on enemy bombers, 18 planes each, dropped its cargo over our lines 10 minutes later. All over the front the bombardement was impressive. The overnight advances of the New Zealanders and South Africans against 433 Regiment's sector were reported as having been beaten off with losses to the Italian 61 Regiment. The action here enabled the compilers of the Corps' situation maps finally to remove II Battalion of 382 Regiment from the centre of the New Zealand front.

Before dawn 15 Panzer Division reported that it had restored its line except for some small infiltrations. The early morning tank losses (sustained by a detachment of II Battalion, 8 Panzer Regiment of 15 Division and 3 Battalion, 33 Armoured Regiment of Littorio Division) and the appearance of the two British armoured brigades in daylight caused 15 Panzer Division to change its mind and call for assistance. The II./ Pz R 8, counter attacked with its last 5 panzer and the last 7,62 PAKs and set up a blockade position towards the east, surveying also towards west and south. Due firefights with anti tank positions the commanding officer of the II. Abteilung Hptm Siemens and his Adjutant were shot. The I./Pz R 8 and one company of the Panzerjäger-Abteilung 33 supported the attack of the 21 Pz D against the British 1 AD.

That afternoon, the 90 Le. D should launch locals counter attacks against Point 28, while the 15. Pz and 21.Pz, “Littorio” and part of the “Ariete”should counter attack in the area of minefields L and I. Rommel viewed the situation as so critical that he ordered a major counter-attack on the front from the Kidney area north to Point 29, with 21 Pz Division coming in from the south-west, 15 Pz Division in the centre, and 90 Le Division from the north-west, the infantry in the line co-operating and the whole operation to be preceded by a short softening-up by artillery, the 88-millimetre batteries, and Stuka raids.

At 14:30 hours Rommel went again to the telegraph line, this time, accompanied by Major Ziegler.
During a period of 15 minutes, the elements of the Le. D 90, deployed on the ground were attacked three times by formations of 18 planes each. At 15:00 hours ours own dive bombers (Stukas) attacked the enemy lines. After all ours anti aircraft cannons and field guns furnished one strong barrage at the assault point, our tanks moved forward but the attack should be called off due to the strong anti tank defense carried out by half buried guns and tanks. The advance of the Le. D 90 was halted with artillery barrages and aerial bombardement. The division informed that the Point 28 had been taken but regretfully, this was erroneous.

During the night strong panzer detachments were launched in order to seal the gaps; several elements of the Le. D 90 occupied the front line too. This day only 70 tons of fuel were transported by the Luftwaffe, just for shorts and precises movements. The situation was notified to Rome and to the OKW but without any expectation and so far Montgomery has employed only part of his force.

The following day (october 28) more units were shifted to the north; the german units were replaced by one third part of the “Ariete”. The english launched three attacks against that sector in the morning, but all were rejected due to our panzer’s actions; unfortunately we lost a great number of tanks.

As usual the enemy had local air superiority, the Luftwaffe did all she could to help us but without change anything.

The supply situation was really bad, only few tankers were heading toward Tobruk, the rest were heading toward Bengasi so would take several days untill the fuel reached the front.

On october 28, at noon, strong enemy armoured forces were observed ahead of the minefield I. Due to the great casualties suffered by the german and italian infantry, all the Afrika Korps were deployed on the frontline.

Around 21:00 hours, started a strong english bombardment in the area located west of Point 28. Soon all the guns concentrated its fires on the sector occupied by the II / IR 125 to the north of the hill. The assault jumped off at 22:00 hours nevertheless the attack was driven back in front of the mine field I. To the north in the gap between the mine fields I and H the british infantry supported by tanks gained a foothold. The battle lasted six hours untill the II./ IR 125 and the 11. Bersaglieri Battalion were swept by the enemy.

Sources: “Memorias del Mariscal Rommel”. Tomo II. B.H. Lidell Hart. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires. Marzo 1955.
“Rommel y el Afrika Korps”. H.G. von Esebeck. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires. Abril 1955.
“El Ejército Alemán bajo Hitler”. S. Westphal. Círculo Militar. Buenos Aires. Marzo 1953.

Regards. Tigre.
Attachments
El Alamein 31 oct.jpg
El Alamein 31 oct.jpg (171.53 KiB) Viewed 23211 times

tigre

Post by tigre » 06 Jul 2006, 01:49

Hello folks, greetings from Argentina.

The actions on 28 and 29 october and during 29 and 30 october.

The British side.

The Australian attack ( 9 ID ) during the night of 28 / 29 october proceeded satisfactory and 200 POWs were taken. The enemy position was penetrated almost up to the road running between Sidi Abd el Rahman and Tel el Eisa. To the right the assault crashed with strong resistance and large mine fields nearby Thompson Post, the enemy bastion on the coast.

During the october 29 and at the first lights on october 30, the enemy launched several counter attacks with tanks and infantry but the Australian forces (9. ID) resisted and held the ground.

The situation on october 29 and 30.

In the morning of 29 of october, Montgomery was informed that the Le D 90 had been switched toward the area of Sidi Abd el Rahman, this showed that Rommel was reacted against the thread in the north and may be he had recognized the british plan of attack toward the west along the road and rail road.

Therefore, Montgomery changed his plan shifting to the south the attack axis so that the blow fall mainly over the area defended by the Italians.

The 9 ID (Australian) would renew its thread to the north, toward the sea, during the night of 30 / 31 october. This would prepare the way for the breakthrough toward the west, assuring the Le D 90 would stay in the Sidi Abd el Rahman’s surroundings.

During the night of 31 october / 01 november (was delayed 24 hours) the 2 ID (New Zealand) charging straight to the west should open a gap through the enemy positions right north of the northern corridor. Through this breach should pass the X Corps with its 1., 7. And 10. AD and two regiments equipped with armoured cars. The armoured divisions should destroy the Afrika Korps and the armoured cars should harass the enemy supply roads. The operation was called “Supercharge”.

The 2 ID (New Zealand) task represented a penetration of 5.500 meters in a frontage of roughly 4000 meters. Montgomery notified their commanders if the XXX Corps failed to reach its objectives the X Corps’s armoured divisions should make way by its own means.

By 01 november Montgomery knew that the 21. Pz D had joined the Le D 90 in the Rahman’s area, leaving the defense of the positions located in the southern sector to the Italians.

The German side.

At 03:00 hours on october 29, after barely had slept something, Rommel was thinking about a withdrawal to the west, however this should mean the loss of all the infantry on foot. Nevertheless, that morning Rommel decided the withdrawal toward the Fuka line before the british breakthrough.

During the morning of the 29 of october the english pressed forward over the sector of II./ IR 125 with strong fire support. The Le D 90 counter attacked in order to relieve them under hard fire. However, the remnants of the IR 125’s battalion made its way toward our own forces. The main attack did not came that morning.

At 07:00 hours, Oberst Bayerlein came back from Europe and after held a meeting went toward the Afrika Korps HQ. At 11:30 hours Rommel was told that the tanker Louisiana had been sunk. Rommel then, became furious with Grl Barbassetti, who was the special envoy of Marshall Cavallero. Rome did not recognize that the Army in Africa was threatened with its annihilation.

Rommel discussed with Westphal the details about the withdrawal’s plan when was informed that two enemy divisions had advanced via the Quattara hollow and had reached a point located 96 kilometers south of Marsa Matruh. Several rear units were alarmed when was discovered that all had been an Italian mistake.

On october 30 the front remained calm. The RAF increased its activity over the coast road. One Italian tanker brought 600 tons of fuel. On this day the Fuka line was reconnoitered. It was ordered that the 21 Pz D should withdraw from the line stretched west of the mine fields K and L during the night of october 30 in order to be used as a mobile force, it would be relieved by the Italian division “ Trieste”.

When such maneuvers were carried out this night, one strong artillery barrage fell over the sector where the IR 125 was deployed. Our own artillery replied the fire on the enemy assembly areas located south of mine field H but without stop the enemies columns of infantry and tanks. The artillery support lasted one hour and after that the Australian started the assault over the front and south flank of the IR 125.

During the morning on october 31, 30 heavy enemy tanks had reached the coast road, attacking the Grenadier Regiment deployed in the second line. The only unit on hand to carry out the counter attack was the AA 580. Rommel went to Sidi abd el Rahman inmediately and established his HQ east of the mosque located there. The IR 125 was isolated. At 10:00 hours arrived Grl von Thoma, who was in charge of carried out the counter attack with the 21 Pz D and the Le D 90. He was accompanied by Bayerlein.

The counter attack started at noon but without reach its objective. However the contact with the IR 125 could be established later. The last month’s day the 21 Pz. D had 41 tanks, the 15. Pz D 50 tanks, the “Trieste” 27 tanks, the “Ariete” 124 tanks and the “Littorio” 38 tanks.

During the night 31 Oct / 01 Nov, Oberst Willy Teege (Commander Pz R 8) established a blocking position to the east of the telegraph line with the I. and II. Abteilung and one Italian Pz Abteilung from the “Ariete”.

At early afternoon on 01 november, Rommel went to Point 16, accompanied by Grl v. Thoma, Grl Sponeck and Oberst Bayerlein. On top of the rail road station located near Tel el Aisa (called Thompson’s Post by the british) weawed a Red Cross flag, nearby 7 destroyed tanks could be seen, further on were another 30 or 40 damaged british tanks. The enemy was gathering their wounded so our artillery ceased the fire.

During the day wawes of 18 or 20 enemy planes attacked the front, north of Point 28 around 34 times.

The situation remained serious, only 40 tons od ammunitions arrived from Europe; the OKW and the Fuhrer were not better informed than the Comando Supremo of the Italians.

Supercharge follows. Regards. Tigre.
Attachments
El Alamein 01 Nov.jpg
El Alamein 01 Nov.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 23162 times

Brad Hunter

Post by Brad Hunter » 09 Jul 2006, 21:34

Since we're on the topic of El Alamein, I have an OoB that I would like the community to look at. I have been researching the OoB and ToE information for the battles of Gazala and El Alamein for 8 years now. For the Allied OoB, I started with Joslin as a base, and then referred to the British, Australian, New Zealand, South African, and Indian Official Records, and unit histories, as well as information gleaned from George Nafziger's site, including the excellent "The British Armies of the Second World War: An Organizational History" series, by David Hughes, and Dr. Leo Niehorster's site. I have done the same for the Axis OoB. I would greatly appreciate input form anyone with access to orginal sources.

ALLIED ORDER OF BATTLE – EL ALAMEIN
10/23/42

8th Army – Montgomery
HQ Protection Force
1 Troop / 4th-6th SA Armoured Car Rgt. – 3 x M-H III A/C
B / 6th Bn / RTR – 10 x Grant
Army Troops
566th Army Troops Co., RE
588th Army Troops Co., RE
--det / 1st Camouflage Co., RE
--det / 114th Mechanical Equipment Co., RE
655th General Construction Co., RE
517th Field Survey Co., RE
13th Field Survey Depot, RE
17th Railway Operating Co., NZE
18th Army Troops Co., NZE
82nd Workshop and Parks Co., SAEC
25th Roads Construction Co., SAEC
27th Roads Construction Co., SAEC
32nd Roads Construction Co., SAEC
36th Water Supply Co., SAEC
85th Camouflage Co., SAEC
95th Bomb Disposal Co., SAEC
Special Air Service Squadron (attached from Raiding Forces, Middle East)
3rd Bn / Libyan Arab Force (guard duties)
1st Army Tank Brigade (-)
42nd Bn / RTR (-) – 6 x Matilda Scorpion (2 Troops)
44th Bn / RTR (-) – 6 x Matilda Scorpion (2 Troops)
1st Armoured Brigade (Tank Reorganization Group)
4th Hussars (converged with 8th Hussars – see 4th Light Armoured Brigade)
8th Hussars (converged with 4th Hussars – see 4th Light Armoured Brigade)
2nd Royal Gloucestershire Hussars (no tanks – under quarantine)
Tank Delivery Regiment (extra/replacement tank crews)
21st Indian Infantry Brigade (airfield security)
1st Bn / 6th Rajputana Rifles Rgt.
3rd Bn / 7th Rajput Rgt.
2nd Bn / 8th Gurkha Rifles Rgt.
9th Field Co., IE
2nd AA Brigade (HQ and communications protection)
2nd LAA Rgt., RA – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
69th HAA Rgt., RA (-) – 16 x 3.7” AA Gun
12th AA Brigade (Army rear area protection)
14th LAA Rgt., RA – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
16th LAA Rgt., RA – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
27th LAA Rgt., RA (-) – 32 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
88th HAA Rgt., RA (-) – 16 x 3.7” AA Gun
94th HAA Rgt., RA (-) – 16 x 3.7” AA Gun
det / 27th Searchlight Rgt., RA

X Corps – Lumsden
HQ Protection Force
HQ – 2 x Grant
2 Troops / 73rd AT Rgt., RA – 8 x 6# ATG
Troop / 53rd LAA Rgt., RA – 4 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
Troop / 56th LAA Rgt., RA – 4 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
X Corps Troops
1st Bn / Royal Northumberland Fusiliers Rgt. (MG) (HQ only)
145th Field Park Sqn., RE
570th Corps Field Park Co., RE
--1st Armoured Division – HQ – 8 x Crusader II/III, 6 x A/C
----2nd Armoured Brigade – HQ – 1 x Grant, 2 x A/C
------The Queen’s Bays – 20 x Crusader II/III, 28 x Sherman I
------9th Lancers – 20 x Crusader II/III, 28 x Sherman I
------10th Hussars – 20 x Crusader II/III, 27 x Sherman I
------Yorkshire Dragoons (Motor Battalion)
------“X” Co / 1st Bn / Royal Northumberland Fusiliers Rgt. (MG) – 12 x Vickers MMG
------1st Field Sqn., RE
----7th Motor Brigade
------Special Tank Sqn. – “Kingforce” – 6 x Churchill I
------2nd Bn / The King’s Royal Rifle Corps (Motor Battalion)
------Support Co. / 2nd Bn / The Rifle Brigade (Motor Battalion) (see “Hammerforce”)
------7th Bn / The Rifle Brigade (Motor Battalion)
----"Hammerforce”
------1 Troop / The Queen’s Bays – 3 x Sherman I
------1 Troop / 9th Lancers – 3 x Sherman I
------1 Troop / 10th Hussars – 3 x Sherman I
------2nd Bn / The Rifle Brigade (-) (Motor Battalion) (3 Rifle Cos. only – see 7th Motor Brigade)
------“Z” Co / 1st Bn / Royal Northumberland Fusiliers Rgt. (MG) – 12 x Vickers MMG
------4th-6th SA Armoured Car Rgt. (-) (see 8th Army, XIII Corps, and XXX Corps HQ Protection Forces) –
--------30 x M-H III A/C
------73rd AT Rgt., RA (-) (see X Corps HQ Protection Force, and 24th Armoured Brigade) – 28 x 6# ATG
------56th LAA Rgt., RA (-) (see X Corps HQ Protection Force, and 23rd and 24th Armoured Bdes.) –
--------12 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
------7th Field Sqn., RE
------9th Field Sqn., RE (attached from 8th Armoured Division)
------572nd Army Field Co., RE (attached)
----12th Lancers – 55 x Humber II
----76th AT Rgt., RA – 48 x 6# ATG
------“ZZ” AT Battery – 16 x 6# SP “Deacon”
----42nd LAA Rgt., RA – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
----2nd RHA, RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----4th RHA, RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----11th RHA, RA – 24 x 105mm SP “Priest”
----1st Field Park Sqn., RE
--10th Armoured Division – HQ – 7 x Crusader II/III
----8th Armored Brigade – HQ – 2 x Crusader II/III
------3rd Bn / RTR – 18 x Grant, 15 x Crusader II/III, 10 x Sherman I
------Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers) – 13 x Crusader II/III, 11 x Sherman I, 20 x Grant
------Staffordshire Yeomanry – 15 x Crusader II/III, 10 x Sherman I, 19 x Grant
------1st Bn / The Royal East Kent Rgt. (The “Buffs”) (Motor Battalion)
------2nd Field Sqn., RE
----24th Armoured Brigade – HQ – 2 x Grant
------41st Bn / RTR – 15 x Crusader II/III, 31 x Sherman I
------45th Bn / RTR – 15 x Crusader II/III, 31 x Sherman I
------47th Bn / RTR – 15 x Crusader II/III, 31 x Sherman I
------11th Bn / The King’s Royal Rifle Corps (Motor Battalion)
------1 Btty / 73rd AT Rgt., RA – 16 x 6# ATG
------1 Btty / 56th LAA Rgt., RA – 16 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
------6th Field Sqn., RE
----133rd Lorried Infantry Brigade (attached from 44th Infantry Division)
------2nd Bn / Royal Sussex Rgt.
------4th Bn / Royal Sussex Rgt.
------5th Bn / Royal Sussex Rgt.
------“W” Co. / 1st Bn / Royal Northumberland Fusiliers Rgt. (MG) (attached) – 12 x Vickers MMG
------Minefield Clearing TF
--------3rd Field Sqn., RE
--------571st Army Field Co., RE (attached)
--------573rd Army Field Co., RE (attached)
----1st Royal Dragoons – 46 x Humber II and Daimler
----64th AT Rgt., RA – 48 x 6# ATG
----53rd LAA Rgt., RA (-) (see X Corps HQ Protection Force) – 44 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
----1st RHA, RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----104th RHA, RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----98th Field Rgt., RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----141st Field Park Sqn., RE

XIII Corps – Horrocks
HQ Protection Force
1 Troop / 4th-6th SA Armoured Car Rgt. – 3 x M-H III A/C
XIII Corps Troops
578th Army Field Co., RE
576th Corps Field Park Co., RE
4th Survey Regt., RE (-)
118th Bn + 124th Bn / RTR – Deception Units
--7th Armoured Division – HQ – 7 x Crusader II/III, 5 x A/C
----4th Light Armoured Brigade – HQ – 8 x A/C
------4th-8th Hussars (converged) – 48 x Stuart
------Royal Scots Greys (-) (see Minefield Task Force) – 16 x Stuart, 21 x Grant
------11th Hussars – 61 x Humber III
------2nd Bn / Derbyshire Yeomanry – 50 x Humber II and Daimler
------1st Bn / The King’s Royal Rifle Corps (Motor Battalion)
------3rd RHA, RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----22nd Armoured Brigade – HQ – 4 x Crusader II/III
------1st Bn / RTR – 19 x Stuart, 24 x Grant
------5th Bn / RTR – 16 x Crusader II/III, 10 x Sherman I, 14 x Grant
------4th Bn / County of London Yeomanry – 28 x Crusader II/III, 9 x Grant
------1st Bn / The Rifle Brigade (Motor Battalion)
----131st Infantry Brigade (attached from 44th Infantry Division)
------1st-5th Bn / The Queen’s Rgt.
------1st-6th Bn / The Queen’s Rgt.
------1st-7th Bn / The Queen’s Rgt.
------11th Field Co., RE
----"Minefield Task Force”
------44th Reconnaissance Rgt. (attached from 44th Infantry Division)
------1 Troop / Royal Scots Greys – 3 x Stuart
------1 Troop / 42nd Bn / RTR – 3 x Matilda Scorpion
------1 Troop / 44th Bn / RTR – 3 x Matilda Scorpion
------4th Field Rgt., RA – 16 x 25# Field Gun
------97th Field Rgt., RA – 16 x 25# Field Gun
------4th Field Sqn., RE
------21st Field Sqn., RE
----Household Cavalry Regiment – 42 x M-H III, 11 x Daimler
----65th AT Rgt., RA – 48 x 6# ATG
----15th LAA Rgt., RA – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
----143rd Field Park Sqn., RE
--50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
----69th Infantry Brigade
------5th Bn / The East Yorkshire Rgt.
------6th Bn / Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Rgt. (The “Green Howards”)
------7th Bn / Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Rgt. (The “Green Howards”)
----151st Infantry Brigade
------6th Bn / The Durham Light Infantry Rgt.
------8th Bn / The Durham Light Infantry Rgt.
------9th Bn / The Durham Light Infantry Rgt.
----1st Greek Infantry Brigade Group
------1st Greek Infantry Battalion
------2nd Greek Infantry Battalion
------3rd Greek Infantry Battalion
------1st Greek MG Co. – 12 x Vickers MMG
------1st Greek Field Rgt. – 24 x 25# Field Gun
------1st Greek Field Co. (Engineers)
----2er Brigade Francaise Libre (attached)
------5er Bataillon de marche
------11er Bataillon de marche
------21er Compagnie Nord-Africaine – 12 x 75mm Gun
------23er Compagnie Nord-Africaine – 4 x 75mm Gun
------2er Compagnie de sapeurs-mineurs
----2nd Bn / The Cheshire Rgt. (MG) (-) (3 Cos.) – 36 x Vickers MMG
----102nd AT Rgt., RA – 48 x 6# ATG
----34th LAA Rgt., RA – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
----74th Field Rgt., RA – 16 x 25# Field Gun
----111th Field Rgt., RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----124th Field Rgt., RA – 16 x 25# Field Gun
----154th Field Rgt., RA (attached) – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----233rd Field Co., RE
----505th Field Co., RE
----235th Field Park Co., RE
--44th (Home Counties) Infantry Division (-) (see 7th and 10th Armoured Divisions)
----132nd Infantry Brigade
------2nd Bn / The Royal East Kent Rgt. (The “Buffs”)
------4th Bn / The Royal West Kent Rgt.
------5th Bn / The Royal West Kent Rgt.
----1er Brigade Francaise Libre (attached)
------1er Bataillon de Legion etrangere
------3er Bataillon de Legion etrangere
------Bataillon d’infanterie de Marine du Pacifique
------1er Regiment de Marche de Spahis Marocains – 21 x M-H III, 3 x Humber II, 9 x 75mm Gun
------Compagnie de Chars de la Francaise Libre – 14 x Crusader II
------22er Compagnie Nord-Africaine – 2 x 75mm Gun
------2er Compagnie Antichar – 16 x 6# ATG
------1er Bataillon de Fusiliers marins (AA) – 12 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
------1er Regiment d’artillerie – 24 x 25# Field Gun, 4 x 5.5” Gun
------3rd Field Rgt., RA – 16 x 25# Field Gun
------1er Compagnie de sapeurs-mineurs
----4th Bn / The Cheshire Rgt. (MG) – 48 x Vickers MMG
----57th AT Rgt., RA – 48 x 6# ATG
----30th LAA Rgt., RA – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
----57th Field Regt., RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----58th Field Rgt., RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----65th Field Rgt., RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----53rd Field Rgt., RA (attached) – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----209th Field Co., RE
----210th Field Co., RE
----577th Field Co., RE
----211th Field Park Co., RE

XXX Corps – Leese
HQ Protection Force
XXX Corps Defence Sqn. (unknown organization)
3 Troops / 4th-6th SA Armoured Car Rgt. – 9 x M-H III A/C
XXX Corps Troops
11th Field Co., SAEC
13th Field Co., SAEC
22nd Field Park Co., SAEC
HQ, XXX Corps Royal Artillery
--7th Medium Rgt., RA – 8 x 4.5” Gun, 8 x 5.5” Gun
--64th Medium Rgt., RA – 8 x 4.5” Gun, 8 x 5.5” Gun
--69th Medium Rgt., RA – 16 x 4.5” Gun
--det / 4th Survey Rgt., RA
23rd Armoured Brigade
--8th Bn / RTR – See 1st South African Division
--40th Bn / RTR – See 9th Australian Division
--46th Bn / RTR – 49 x Valentine
--50th Bn / RTR – See 51st Division
--11th Bn / The King’s Royal Rifle Corps (Motor Battalion)
--121st Field Rgt., RA – 16 x 25# SP Field Gun “Bishop”
--1 Btty / 56th LAA Rgt., RA – 16 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
--295th Army Field Co., RE (attached)
5th Indian Infantry Brigade (“XXX Corps Reserve”)
--1st-4th Bn / The Essex Rgt.
--4th Bn / 6th Rajputana Rifles Rgt.
--3rd Bn / 10th Baluch Rgt.
--9th Australian Infantry Division
----20th Australian Infantry Brigade
------2/13th Australian Infantry Bn.
------2/15th Australian Infantry Bn.
------2/17th Australian Infantry Bn.
------40th Bn / RTR (attached from 23rd Armoured Brigade) – 42 x Valentine
----24th Australian Infantry Brigade
------2/28th Australian Infantry Bn.
------2/32nd Australian Infantry Bn.
------2/43rd Australian Infantry Bn.
----26th Australian Infantry Brigade
------2/23rd Australian Infantry Bn.
------2/24th Australian Infantry Bn.
------2/48th Australian Infantry Bn.
------2/7th Field Co., RAE
----"Composite Force”
------1 Co. / 2/2nd Australian MG Bn. – 12 x Vickers MMG
------1 Co. / 2/3rd Australian Pioneer Bn., RAE
------1 Co. / 9th Australian Divisional Cavalry Rgt. (unknown organization)
------1 Troop / 2/3rd AT Rgt., RAA – 4 x 6# ATG
----40th Bn / RTR (attached from 23rd Armoured Brigade) – 42 x Valentine
----1 Troop / 44th Bn / RTR – 3 x Matilda Scorpion
----9th Australian Divisional Cavalry Rgt. (-) (Total) – 5 x Stuart, 15 x Crusader II/III, 52 x Carriers
----2/2nd Australian MG Bn. (-) (see “Composite Force”) – 48 x Vickers MMG
----2/3rd Australian Pioneer Bn., RAE (-) (see “Composite Force”)
----2/3rd AT Rgt., RAA (-) (see “Composite Force”) – 60 x 6# ATG
----2/4th LAA Rgt., RAA – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
----2/7th Field Rgt., RAA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----2/8th Field Rgt., RAA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----2/12th Field Rgt., RAA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----146th Field Rgt., RA (attached) – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----66th Mortar Co., RA (-) (2 Sections) (attached from XXX Corps Troops) – 12 x 4.2” Mortar
--4th Indian Infantry Division
----7th Indian Infantry Brigade
------1st Bn / The Royal Sussex Rgt.
------4th Bn / 16th Punjab Rgt.
------1st Bn / 2nd Gurkha Rifles
----161st Indian Infantry Brigade
------1st Bn / The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Rgt.
------1st Bn / 1st Punjab Rgt.
------4th Bn / 7th Punjab Rgt
----6th Rajputana Rifles MG Bn. – 48 x Vickers MMG
----149th AT Rgt., RA – 54 x 6# ATG, 10 x 2# ATG
----57th LAA Rgt., RA – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
----1st Field Rgt., RA – 16 x 25# Field Gun
----11th Field Rgt., RA – 16 x 25# Field Gun
----32nd Field Rgt., RA – 16 x 25# Field Gun
----2nd Field Co., IE
----4th Field Co., IE
----12th Field Co., IE
----11th Field Park Co., IE
--51st (Highland) Infantry Division
----152nd Infantry Brigade
------2nd Bn / The Seaforth Highlanders Rgt.
------5th Bn / The Seaforth Highlanders Rgt.
------2nd Bn / The Cameron Highlanders Rgt.
----153rd Infantry Brigade
------5th Bn / The Black Watch Rgt.
------1st Bn / The Gordon Highlanders Rgt.
-----5th-7th Bn / The Gordon Highlanders Rgt.
----154th Infantry Brigade
------1st Bn / The Black Watch Rgt.
------7th Bn / The Black Watch Rgt.
------7th Bn / The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Rgt.
----50th Bn / RTR (attached from 23rd Armoured Brigade) – 44 x Valentine
----1st–7th Bn / The Middlesex Rgt. (MG) – 48 x Vickers MMG
----51st Reconnaissance Rgt.
----61st AT Rgt., RA – 48 x 6# ATG, 16 x 2# ATG
----40th LAA Rgt., RA – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
----126th Field Rgt., RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----127th Field Rgt., RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----128th Field Rgt., RA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----det / 78th Field Rgt., RA (attached) (see 2nd NZ Division) – 12 x 25# Field Gun
----274th Field Co., RE
----275th Field Co., RE
----276th Field Co., RE
----239th Field Park Co., RE
--2nd New Zealand Infantry Division
----5th New Zealand Infantry Brigade
------21st New Zealand Infantry Battalion
------22nd New Zealand Infantry Battalion
------23rd New Zealand Infantry Battalion
------2 Cos. / 28th (Maori) New Zealand Infantry Battalion
------2 Troops / Warwickshire Yeomanry – 6 x Crusader II/III
------1 Troop / 42nd Bn / RTR – 3 x Matilda Scorpion
------1 Btty / 7th New Zealand AT Rgt. – 16 x 6# ATG
------7th New Zealand Field Co.
----6th New Zealand Infantry Brigade
------24th New Zealand Infantry Battalion
------25th New Zealand Infantry Battalion
------26th New Zealand Infantry Battalion
------2 Cos. / 28th (Maori) New Zealand Infantry Battalion
------2 Troops / Warwickshire Yeomanry – 6 x Crusader II/III
------1 Troop / 44th Bn / RTR – 3 x Matilda Scorpion
------1 Btty / 7th New Zealand AT Rgt. – 16 x 6# ATG
------6th New Zealand Field Co.
----9th Armoured Brigade (attached) – HQ – 2 x Crusader II/III, 1 x Sherman I
------3rd Hussars – 16 x Crusader III, 12 x Sherman I, 9 x Grant
------Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry – 13 x Crusader II/III, 10 x Sherman I, 14 x Grant
------Warwickshire Yeomanry (-) (see 5th and 6th NZ Bdes.) – 5 x Crusader II/III, 13 x Sherman I,
--------14 x Grant
------14th Bn / The Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment (“Sherwood Foresters”) (Motor Battalion)
----28th (Maori) New Zealand Infantry Battalion (-) (see 5th and 6th NZ Bdes.) (HQ + Support units only)
----2nd New Zealand Divisional Cavalry Rgt. – 28 x Stuart, 52 x Carriers
----2nd New Zealand MG Bn. – 48 x Vickers MMG
----7th New Zealand AT Rgt. (-) (see 5th and 6th NZ Bdes.) – 27 x 6# ATG
----14th New Zealand LAA Rgt. – 48 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
----4th New Zealand Field Rgt. – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----5th New Zealand Field Rgt. – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----6th New Zealand Field Rgt. – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----det / 78th Field Rgt., RA (attached) (see 51st Infantry Division) – 12 x 25# Field Gun
----det / 5th Royal Horse Artillery, RA (attached) (see 1st SA Division) – 12 x 25# Field Gun
----8th New Zealand Field Co.
----5th New Zealand Field Park Co.
--1st South African Infantry Division
----1st South African Infantry Brigade
------Royal Natal Carabineers
------Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Rifles
------1st Bn / Transvaal Scottish Rgt.
------2nd Bn / Regiment Botha
----2nd South African Infantry Brigade
------1st-2nd Field Force Battalion
------Natal Mounted Rifles
------Cape Town Highlanders
----3rd South African Infantry Brigade
------1st Imperial Light Horse
------Royal Durban Light Infantry
------Rand Light Infantry
----8th Bn / RTR (attached from 23rd Armoured Brigade) – 51 x Valentine
----1 Troop / 42nd Bn / RTR – 3 x Matilda Scorpion
----3rd South African Reconnaissance Battalion – 55 x M-H III
----Regiment President Steyn (MG) – 48 x Vickers MMG
------1 Co./ Die Middlandse Regiment (MG) – 12 x Vickers MMG
----1st AT Rgt., SAA – 48 x 6# ATG, 16 x 2# ATG, 3 x 18# Field Gun, 6 x 50mm Pak
----1st LAA Rgt., SAA – 44 x 40mm Bofors AA Gun
----1st Field Rgt., SAA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----4th Field Rgt., SAA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----7th Field Rgt., SAA – 24 x 25# Field Gun
----det / 5th Royal Horse Artillery, RA (see 2nd NZ Division) – 12 x 25# Field Gun
----1st Field Co., SAEC
----2nd Field Co., SAEC
----3rd Field Co., SAEC
----5th Field Co., SAEC
----11th Field Co., SAEC
----13th Field Co., SAEC
----19th Field Park Co., SAEC
----22nd Field Park Co., SAEC
Last edited by Brad Hunter on 09 Jul 2006, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Hunter

Post by Brad Hunter » 09 Jul 2006, 21:49

AXIS ORDER OF BATTLE – EL ALAMEIN
10/23/42

Deutsche-Italienische Panzer Armee – Stumme (temporary)
Army Troops
15. Schutzen Brigade HQ (Controlling DAK reconnaissance units)
3. Panzeraufklarungs Abteilung (from 21. Panzer Division) – 1x Pzspah. Kp., 1 x Krad. Kp.,
--1 x schwere Kp.
33. Panzeraufklarungs Abteilung (from 15. Panzer Division) – 1x Pzspah. Kp., 1 x Krad. Kp.,
--1 x schwere Kp.
580. Aufklarungs Abteilung (from 90. leichte-Afrika Division) – 1x Pzspah. Kp., 1 x Krad. Kp.,
--1 x schwere Kp.
Harko “Afrika”
--1. “Afrika” Artillerie Rgt. (mot)
----I. Battailon – 3 x 210mm M18 How., 4 x 105mm K18 Gun, 4 x 25# Field Gun
----II. Battailon – 3 x 210mm M18 How., 4 x 105mm K18 Gun, 4 x 25# Field Gun
----III. Battailon – 3 x 210mm M18 How., 4 x 150mm sFH18 How., 6 x 76.2mm [r] Gun,
------4 x 25# Field Gun
--2. “Afrika” Artillerie Rgt. (mot)
----I. Battailon – 9 x 170mm K18 Gun
----II. Battailon – 12 x 155mm [f] Gun
----III. Battailon – 8 x 155mm [f] Gun, 4 x 4.5” [e] Gun
----IV. Battailon – 12 x 105mm K18 Gun
----1 Kp. / 612. Heer leichte Fla Abteilung (sfl.) – 12 x SdKfz 10/4
13./800. Lehr Regiment "Brandenburg" (Commando)
778. Pionier Kompanie (mot) (Landing)
--904. Pionier Kompanie (Assault Boat)
609. Heer leichte Fla Abteilung (sfl.) – 36 x SdKfz 10/4
612. Heer leichte Fla Abteilung (sfl.) (-) (see 2. “Afrika” Art. Rgt.) – 36 x SdKfz 10/4
617. Heer leichte Fla Abteilung (sfl.) – 24 x SdKfz 10/4, 6 x SdKfz 7/1
10. Panzernachrichten Rgt. (mot)

Deutsches Afrika Korps - von Thoma
DAK Corps Troops
135. Luftwaffe Flak Regiment (DAK Operational Control)
--II. / 25. Luftwaffe Flak Regiment (mot.) – 18 x 88mm Flak, 24 x 20mm Fla
--I. / 43. Luftwaffe Flak Regiment (mot.) – 18 x 88mm Flak, 24 x 20mm Fla
--I. / 53. Luftwaffe Flak Regiment (mot.) – 18 x 88mm Flak, 24 x 20mm Fla
--1. / 6. Luftwaffe schwere Flak Abteilung (mot.) – 6 x 88mm Flak
KG “Menton”
--Panzergrenadier Regiment “Afrika”
----I. Schutzen Battailon – 3 x Schutzen Kp., 1 x schwere Kp.
----II. Schutzen Battailon – 3 x Schutzen Kp., 1 x schwere Kp.
----Infanteriegeshutz Kompanie – 4 x 76.2 mm [r] Gun
----StuG – 2 x StuG IIId

--15. Panzer Division (33. Panzeraufklarungs Abt. detached to Panzer Armee)
----8. Panzer Regiment
------I. Panzer Abteilung – 3 x leichte Panzer Kompanien, 1 x mittler Panzer Kompanie
------II. Panzer Abteilung – 3 x leichte Panzer Kompanien, 1 x mittler Panzer Kompanie
[TOTALS – ToE
Rgt. HQ – 5 x Pz II, 2 x PzBef III
Pz. Abt. – HQ – 5 x Pz II, 1 x Pz III, 2 x PzBef III; Kp. Total – 20 x Pz II, 66 x Pz III, 10 x Pz IV)
Rgt. Total ToE – 55 x Pz II, 6 x PzBef III, 134 x Pz III, 20 x Pz IV
Actual Regimental Total – 14 x Pz II, 2 x PzBef III, 43 x Pz IIIh, 44 x Pz IIIj, 15 x Pz IVg]
----115. Panzergrenadier Regiment (mot)
------I. Schutzen Battailon – 4 x Schutzen Kompanien
------II. Schutzen Battailon – 4 x Schutzen Kompanien
------III. Schutzen Battailon – 4 x Schutzen Kompanien
------1 x Infanteriegeschutz Kompanie
------1 x Pionier Kompanie
----33. Panzerjager Abteilung (mot.) – 12 x 50mm ATG, 9 x Marder I
----33. Pionier Bataillon (mot.) – 3 x Pionier Kompanien
----707. sIG Kompanie (sfl) – 6 x sIG 33 (Pz II)
----33. Artillerie Regiment (mot.)
------I. leichte Abteilung – 12 x 105mm le FH18 How.
------II. leichte Abteilung – 12 x 105mm le FH18 How.
------III. schwere Abteilung – 4 x 105mm K17 Gun, 8 x 150mm sFH18 Gun
------IV. Abteilung (sfl) – 8 x SdKfz 135/1 150mm sFH18 Gun
----I. / 33. Luftwaffe Flak Regiment (mot.) (attached) – 8 x 88mm Flak, 24 x 20mm Fla
--21. Panzer Division (3. Panzeraufklarungs Abt. detached to Panzer Armee)
----5. Panzer Regiment
------I. Panzer Abteilung – 3 x leichte Panzer Kompanien, 1 x mittler Panzer Kompanie
------II. Panzer Abteilung – 3 x leichte Panzer Kompanien, 1 x mittler Panzer Kompanie
[TOTALS – ToE
Rgt. HQ – 5 x Pz II, 2 x PzBef III
Pz. Abt. – HQ – 5 x Pz II, 1 x Pz III, 2 x PzBef III; Kp. Total – 20 x Pz II, 66 x Pz III, 10 x Pz IV)
Rgt. Total ToE – 55 x Pz II, 6 x PzBef III, 134 x Pz III, 20 x Pz IV
Actual Regimental Total – 19 x Pz II, 6 x PzBef III, 53 x Pz IIIh, 43 x Pz IIIj, 7 x Pv IVe, 15 x Pz IVg]
----104. Panzergrenadier Regiment (mot)
----39. Panzerjager Abteilung (mot.) – 17 x 50mm ATG, 18 x Marder I
----200. Pionier Bataillon (mot.) – 3 x Pionier Kompanien
----708. sIG Kompanie (sfl) – 6 x sIG 33 (Pz II)
----155. Artillerie Regiment (mot.)
------II. leichte Abteilung – 12 x 105mm le FH18 How.
------III. schwere Abteilung – 12 x 150mm sFH18 Gun
------IV. Abteilung (sfl) – 11 x SdKfz 135/1 150mm sFH18 Gun
----I. / 18. Luftwaffe Flak Regiment (mot.) (attached) – 8 x 88mm Flak, 24 x 20mm Fla
--90. leichte Afrika Division (580. Aufklarungs Abt. detached to Panzer Armee)
----155. Panzergrenadier Regiment (mot)
----200. Panzergrenadier Regiment (mot)
----361. Panzergrenadier Regiment (mot)
----190. Panzerjager Abteilung (mot.) (2 Kp.) – 11 x 50mm ATG
----900. Pionier Bataillon (mot.) – 2 x Pionier Kompanien
------850. Sturm Pionier Kompanie
----190. Artillerie Regiment (mot.)
------I. leichte Abteilung – 8 x 105mm le FH18 How., 4 x 150mm sFH18 Gun
------II. leichte Abteilung – 8 x 105mm le FH18 How., 4 x 150mm sFH18 Gun
------190. leichte Fla Kompanie – 12 x 20mm Fla
----605. Panzerjager Abteilung (sfl.) (attached) – 2 Kp. x Panzerjager Ib, 1 Kp. x SdKfz 6/3 "Diana"
----606. Heer Fla Abteilung (mot.) (attached) - 24 x SdKfz 10/4, 6 x SdKfz 7/1
--164. leichte Afrika Division (580. Aufklarungs Abt. detached to Panzer Armee)
----125. Panzergrenadier Regiment (mot)
----382. Panzergrenadier Regiment (mot)
----433. Panzergrenadier Regiment (mot)
----220. Panzeraufklarungs Abteilung – 1x Pzspah. Kp., 1 x Krad. Kp., 1 x schwere Kp.
----220. Panzerjager Abteilung (mot.) (2 Kp.) – 18 x 50mm ATG
----220. Pionier Bataillon (mot.) – 3 x Pionier Kompanien
----220. Artillerie Regiment (mot.)
------II. leichte Abteilung – 4 x 75mm leGeb Gun
--"Ramcke” Fallshirmjager Brigade
----I. / 2. Fallshirmjager Regiment (“Schweiger Battalion”) – 4 x Fallshirmjager Kp.
----I. / 3. Fallshirmjager Regiment (“von der Heydte Battalion”) – 5 x Fallshirmjager Kp.
----II. / 5. Fallshirmjager Regiment (“Hubner Battalion”) – 4 x Fallshirmjager Kp.
----Fallshirm-Lehr Battailon / XI. Fleigerkorps (“KG Burkhardt”) – 4 x Fallshirmjager Kp.
----Brigade Panzerjager Kompanie – 12 x 37mm ATG
----Tietjen Fallshirm-Pionier Kompanie
----II. / Fallshirm-Artillerie Regiment – 12 x 105mm LG40 Gun
--Divisione Motorizzata 136 "Giovani Fascisti"
----Reggimento Motorizzato 136 (mot)
------Battaglione GGFF 1 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione GGFF 2 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Controcarri 4 “Granatieri di Sardegna” – 3 x Compagnie Controcarri
----Battaglione Fanteria 9 (Independent) (mot) - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
----Battaglione Autoblinda 3 “Lancieri di Monferrato” – 2 x Compagnie Autoblinda (AB 40/41)
----Reggimento Artiglieria 136 - (mot) (all “autocannoni” - portee)
------Battaglione (Autoportati) Artiglieria 14 – 12 x 65/17mm Gun
------Battaglione (Autoportati) Artiglieria 15 – 12 x 65/17mm Gun
------Battaglione (Autoportati) Artiglieria 16 – 12 x 75/27-37mm Gun
------Battaglione (Autoportati) Artiglieria 17 – 12 x 100/17mm Gun
----Battaglione Genio Misto 125

Corpo d' Armata X
X Corps Troops
Reggimento Bersaglieri 9(mot)
--Battaglione Bersaglieri 28 - 2 x Compagnie Bersaglieri, 1 x Compagnie Controcarri
--Battaglione Bersaglieri 57- 2 x Compagnie Bersaglieri, 1 x Compagnie Controcarri
Raggruppamento Artiglieria 16 (mot)
--Battaglione Artiglieri 15 - (detached to XX Corps Troops)
--Battaglione Artiglieri 49 - 12 x 105/28mm Howitzer
--Battaglione Artiglieri 147 - 12 x 149/28mm Howitzer (attached from XXI Corps Troops)
Battaglione Guastatori del genio31 (mot) - 2 x Compagnie Guastatori
Battaglione Collegamenti del genio10
Battaglione Artieri del genio15
Compagnie Arresto del genio 14

--Divisione Fanteria 17 "Pavia"
----Reggimento Fanteria 27
------Battaglione Fanteria 1/27 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Fanteria 2/27 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Compagnie Mortaio – 6 x 81mm Mortar
----Reggimento Fanteria 28
------Battaglione Fanteria 1/28 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Fanteria 2/28 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Compagnie Mortaio - 6 x 81mm Mortar
----Reggimento Artiglieria 26 (mot)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 2/26 - 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 3/26 - (detached to Divisione Paracadutisti 185 “Folgore”)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 4/26 - (detached to Divisione Paracadutisti 185 “Folgore”)
------Compagnie Controaerea 77 - 6 x 20/35mm AA Gun
------Compagnie Controaerea 432 - 8 x 20/35mm AA Gun
----Battaglione Genio Misto 17
--Divisione Fanteria 27 "Brescia"
----Reggimento Fanteria 19
------Battaglione Fanteria 1/19 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Fanteria 2/19 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
----Reggimento Fanteria 20
------Battaglione Fanteria 1/20 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Fanteria 2/20 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Fanteria 3/20 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Compagnie Mortaio - 6 x 81mm Mortar
----Reggimento Articelere 1 (mot)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 1/C1 - 12 x 100/17mm Howitzer
------Battaglione Artiglieri 3/C1 - (detached to Divisione Paracadutisti 185 “Folgore”)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 4/C1 - 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Controaerea 5/C1 - 8 x 88/54mm Flak, 16 x 20/35mm AA Gun
------Compagnie Controaerea 401 - 8 x 20/35mm AA Gun
------Compagnie Controaerea 404 - 8 x 20/35mm AA Gun
----Battaglione Genio Misto 27
--Divisione Paracadutisti 185 “Folgore”
----Reggimento Paracadutisti 186
------Battaglione Paracadutisti 5 - 3 x Compagnie Paracadutisti
------Battaglione Paracadutisti 6 - 3 x Compagnie Paracadutisti
------Battaglione Paracadutisti 7 - 3 x Compagnie Paracadutisti
------Compagnie Cannoni Controcarri – 10 x 47/32mm AT Gun
----Reggimento Paracadutisti 187
------Battaglione Paracadutisti 2 - 3 x Compagnie Paracadutisti
------Battaglione Paracadutisti 4 - 3 x Compagnie Paracadutisti
------Battaglione Paracadutisti 9 - 3 x Compagnie Paracadutisti
------Compagnie Cannoni Controcarri – 10 x 47/32mm AT Gun
----Reggimento Artiglieria 185 (mot)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 1/185 - 12 x 47/32mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 3/185 - 12 x 47/32mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 3/C1 (attached from Divisione Fanteria 27 "Brescia") – 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 3/26 (attached from Divisione Fanteria 17 "Pavia") – 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 4/26 (attached from Divisione Fanteria 17 "Pavia") – 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 1/21 (attached from Divisione Motorizzata 101 "Trieste") –
--------12 x 100/17mm Howitzer
------Compagnie Controaerea 146 (attached from Divisione Motorizzata 101 "Trieste") –
--------8 x 20/35mm AA Gun
------Compagnie Controaerea 411 (attached from Divisione Motorizzata 101 "Trieste") –
--------8 x 20/35mm AA Gun
----Battaglione Guastatori del genio 8 - 2 x Compagnie Guastatori
----Compagnie Genio Misto 185

Corpo d' Armata di' Manovra XX
XX Corps Troops
Battaglione Artiglieri 15 (mot) (detached to Divisione Corazzata 132. "Ariete")
Battaglione Artiglieri 32 (mot) (detached to Divisione Corazzata 133. "Littorio")
Battaglione Controaerea 18 (mot) (2 Co.) – 8 x 88/56mm Flak
Battaglione Controaerea 42 (mot) (2 Co.) – 8 x 75/50mm Flak
Compagnie Controaerea / Battaglione Controaerea 17 (mot) - 4 x 75/50mm Flak
Compagnie Controaerea 8 / Battaglione Controaerea 132 - (mot) 8 x 20/35mm AA Gun
Battaglione Genio Misto 24 (mot)

--Divisione Motorizzata 101 "Trieste"
----Reggimento Motorizzato 65 (mot)
------Battaglione Motorizzato 1/65 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Motorizzato 2/65 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Compagnie reparti accompagnamento
----Reggimento Motorizzato 66 (mot)
------Battaglione Motorizzato 1/66 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Motorizzato 2/66 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Compagnie reparti accompagnamento
----Battaglione Carri 11 – 34 x M13/40-41 (ToE = 53 x M13/40-41)
----Battaglione Autoblinda Bersaglieri 8 - (2 x Co.) – 6 x AB41 (ToE = 39 x AB41)
----Reggimento Artiglieria 21 (mot)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 1/21 - (detached to Divisione Paracadutisti 185 “Folgore”)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 2/21 -12 x 100/17mm Howitzer
------Battaglione Artiglieri 3/21 -12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Compagnie Controaerea 5 - 4 x 75/50mm Flak
------Compagnie Controaerea 146 - (detached to Divisione Paracadutisti 185 “Folgore”)
------Compagnie Controaerea 411 - (detached to Divisione Paracadutisti 185 “Folgore”)
----Battaglione Genio Misto 3 (mot)
--Divisione Corazzata 132 "Ariete"
----Reggimento Corazzato 132
------Battaglione Carri 9 - 3 x Compagnie Carri M
------Battaglione Carri 10 - 3 x Compagnie Carri M
------Battaglione Carri 13 - 3 x Compagnie Carri M
[TOTALS – Regimental ToE = 165 x M13/40-41 + 27 M13/40-41 in Reserve Detachment
Actual Regimental Total – 92 x M1340/41]
----Reggimento Bersaglieri 8 (mot)
------Battaglione Bersaglieri (reparti accompagnamento) 3 - 12 x 47/32mm AT Gun
------Battaglione Bersaglieri 5 - 2 x Compagnie Bersaglieri, 1 x Compagnie Controcarri
------Battaglione Bersaglieri 12 - 2 x Compagnie Bersaglieri, 1 x Compagnie Controcarri
----Battaglione Autoblinda 3., Reggimento "Nizza Cavalleria” (2 Co.) – 12 x AB41 (ToE = 39 x AB41)
----Reggimento Artiglieria 132 (mot)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 1/132 - 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 2/132 - 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 3/132 - 12 x 105/28mm Howitzer
------Battaglione Artiglieri 15 - 12 x 105/28mm Howitzer (attached from XX Corps Troops)
------Battaglione Semovente 551 - 8 x Semovente da 75/18 (+ 2 Command Semovente w/o gun)
------Battaglione Semovente 552 - 8 x Semovente da 75/18 (+ 2 Command Semovente w/o gun)
------Battaglione Controaerea 31 - 8 x 88/56mm Flak
------Battaglione Controaerea 501 - 8 x 90/53mm Flak, 12 x 20/35mm AA Gun
----Battaglione Genio Misto 32 (mot)
--Divisione Corazzata 133 "Littorio"
----Reggimento Corazzato 133
------Battaglione Carri 4 - 3 x Compagnie Carri M
------Battaglione Carri 12 - 3 x Compagnie Carri M
------Battaglione Carri 51 - 3 x Compagnie Carri M
[TOTALS – Regimental ToE = 165 x M13/40-41 + 27 M13/40-41 in Reserve Detachment
Actual Regimental Total – 85 x M1340/41]
----Reggimento Bersaglieri 12 (mot)
------Battaglione Bersaglieri (reparti accompagnamento) 21 - 12 x 47/32mm AT Gun
------Battaglione Bersaglieri 23 - 2 x Compagnie Bersaglieri, 1 x Compagnie Controcarri
------Battaglione Bersaglieri 36 - 2 x Compagnie Bersaglieri, 1 x Compagnie Controcarri
------Compagnie Moto
----Battaglione Carri 3, Reggimento "Lancieri di Novara” (2 x Co.) – 20 x L6 (ToE = 58 x L6)
----Reggimento Articelere 3 (mot)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 2/133 - 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 32 - 12 x 100/17mm Howitzer (attached from XX Corps Troops)
------Battaglione Controaerea 29 - 8 x 88/56mm Flak
------Battaglione Semovente 554 - 8 x Semovente da 75/18 (+ 2 Command Semovente w/o gun)
------Battaglione Semovente 556 - 8 x Semovente da 75/18 (+ 2 Command Semovente w/o gun)
------Compagnie Controaerea 406 - 6 x 20/35mm AA Gun
------Compagnie Controaerea 5/133 - 6 x 20/35mm AA Gun
----Battaglione Genio Misto 133 (mot)

Corpo d' Armata XXI
XXI Corps Troops
Reggimento Bersaglieri 7(mot)
--Battaglione Bersaglieri 10 - 2 x Compagnie Bersaglieri, 1 x Compagnie Controcarri
--Battaglione Bersaglieri 11- 2 x Compagnie Bersaglieri, 1 x Compagnie Controcarri
Raggruppamento Artiglieria 8(mot)
--Battaglione Artiglieri 33 - 12 x 149/40mm Gun
--Battaglione Artiglieri 52 - (1 x battery) 4 x 152/37mm Howitzer
--Battaglione Artiglieri 131 - (detached to Divisione [Motorizzata] 102 "Trento”)
--Battaglione Artiglieri 147 - (detached to X Corps Troops)
Battaglione Artiglieri 354 (mot) - (detached to Divisione [Motorizzata] 102 "Trento”)
Battaglione Artiglieri 355 (mot) - (detached to Divisione [Motorizzata] 102 "Trento”)
Battaglione Artiglieri 357 (mot) - (detached to Divisione Fanteria 25 "Bologna”)
Battaglione Controcarri 4 “Granatieri di Sardegna” (mot) - (detached to Divisione Motorizzata 136
--"Giovani Fascisti")
Battaglione Controaerea 43 (mot)
Compagnie Controaerea / Battaglione Controaerea 17 (mot) - 4 x 75/50mm Flak
Battaglione Collegamenti del genio 65
Battaglione Artieri del genio27

--Divisione Fanteria 25 "Bologna"
----Reggimento Fanteria 39
------Battaglione Fanteria 1/39 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Fanteria 2/39 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
----Reggimento Fanteria 40
------Battaglione Fanteria 1/40 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Fanteria 2/40 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Fanteria 3/40 - 3-4 x Compagnie Fucilieri
----Reggimento Artiglieria 205 (mot)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 1/132 - 12 x 100/17mm Howitzer
------Battaglione Artiglieri 2/132 - 12 x 100/17mm Howitzer
------Battaglione Artiglieri 3/132 - 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 4/132 - 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 357 - 12 x 77/27mm Howitzer (attached from XXI Corps Troops)
------Compagnie Controaerea 4 - 8 x 20/35mm AA Gun
------Compagnie Controaerea 437 - 8 x 20/35mm AA Gun
----Battaglione Genio Misto 25
--Divisione [Motorizzata] 102 "Trento" (Transport stripped for XX Corps mobile units)
----Reggimento [Motorizzato] 61
------Battaglione Motorizzato 1/61 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Motorizzato 2/61 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Motorizzato 3/61 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
----Reggimento [Motorizzato] 62
------Battaglione Motorizzato 1/62 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Motorizzato 2/62 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
------Battaglione Motorizzato 3/62 - 3 x Compagnie Fucilieri
----Reggimento Artiglieria 46 (mot)
------Battaglione Artiglieri 1/46 - 12 x 100/17mm Howitzer
------Battaglione Artiglieri 2/46 - 12 x 100/17mm Howitzer
------Battaglione Artiglieri 3/46 - 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 4/46 - 12 x 75/27mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 131 (attached from XXI Corps Troops) – 12 x 149/28mm Howitzer
------Battaglione Artiglieri 354 (attached from XXI Corps Troops) – 12 x 77/28mm Gun
------Battaglione Artiglieri 355 (attached from XXI Corps Troops) – 12 x 77/28mm Gun
------Battaglione Controaerea 43 - 12 x 75/50mm Flak
------Compagnie Controaerea 412 - 8 x 20/35mm AA Gun
------Compagnie Controaerea 414 - 8 x 20/35mm AA Gun

JonS

Post by JonS » 09 Jul 2006, 23:28

Hi Brad, I don't have original sources, but I'll throw in a few copper coins anyway:
1) I believe the NZOH 2nd NZ Divisional Artillery explains that 7th A-Tk Regt (and poss 14th LAA Regt) wasn't at full strength equipment-wise, due to low manning. One troop had been omitted from the OoB of each bty (Eg, page 389: "The three troops of 32 Battery [7th A-Tk]..." Page 356 has qtys of 6-pr held by the regt as-at 10th Aug-)
2) By this time I'm pretty sure 1 Survey Tp was with NZ Div Arty.
3) You've omitted most of 4th (Durham) Survey Regt, RA

David W

Post by David W » 10 Jul 2006, 08:53

Superb looking work Brad! :D

I will look at it tonight in greater detail, and offer any comments.

I know it's not El Alamein, but I would love to see your Gazala work. Perhaps you could start another thread?

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 10 Jul 2006, 21:31

Brad Hunter wrote:AXIS ORDER OF BATTLE – EL ALAMEIN
Gliederung der Heeres Artl. des Pz. A.O.K. Afrika (T313, R458, F4983) shows (my interpretation of the battery manning is in parenthesis):

6 7.62cm FK (r) in 1 battery (HKAB 364)
12 8.76cm FK (e) in 3 batteries (HKAB 363 and HKAA 533?)
4 11.4cm FK (e) in 1 battery (elements II./s.Artillerie-Regiment 115)
4 15cm s.FH in 1 battery (1./s.Artillerie-Abteilung 408)
5 15.5cm s.FH (f) in 2 batteries (1. and 3. HKAA 532?)
16 10cm s.FK in 4 batteries (2. and 3. s.Artillerie-Abteilung 408 and ?)
4 10cm s.FK (i) in 1 battery (4./s.Artillerie-Regiment 115)
20 15.5cm s.FK (f) in 5 batteries (1., 2., .3 HKAA 528 and 1. and 3. HKAA 523)
9 17cm s.FK 18 i. Mrs. Laf. in 3 batteries (4./HKAA 149, HKAB 362 and HKAB 902)
4 21cm Mrs. 18 in 1 battery (5. and 6./s.Artillerie-Regiment 115)
Total 84 pieces and 22 batteries

If anyone can help fill in some of the holes it would be appreciated.

HARKO Afrika (ARKO 104)
--Afrika-Artillerie-Regiment 1
---Stab (Artillerie-Regiments-Stab 221)
---I. (Stab/II./s.Artillerie-Regiment 115)
---II. (Stab/Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 532)
---III. Stab/(s.Artillerie-Abteilung 408)
----10. (Heeres- Küsten-Artillerie-Batterie 364)
--Afrika-Artillerie-Regiment 2
---Stab (Artillerie-Regiments-Stab z.b.V. 623)
---I. (Stab/Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 533?)
----2. (4./ Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung. 149)
---II. (Stab/Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 528)
---III. (Stab/Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 523)
---IV. (Stab/Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 529)
--le.Artillerie-Beobachtungs-Abteilung Afrika (le.Artillerie-Beobachtungs-Abteilung 11)

And the Abendmeldung for 24 October 1942 gave the following operational strengths:

Kasta DAK: 4 PzIII (k), 2 PzIII (l)
15. PzD: 12 PzII, 32 PzIII (k), 40 PzIII (l), 12 PzIV (l), 1 PzBefWg
21. PzD: 18 PzII, 41 PzIII (k), 43 PzIII (l), 6 PzIV (k), 15 PzIV (l), 3 PzBefWg
It was reported that 2 PzIII (k), 2 PzIII (l), 1 PzIV (k), and 1 PzIV (l) had been lost during the day.

XX AK (i):
Ariete: 129 medium tanks
Littorio: 115 medium and 20 light tanks
Trieste: 34 medium tanks

I have more if you are interested.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 10 Jul 2006, 21:46

RichTO90 wrote:If anyone can help fill in some of the holes it would be appreciated.
For instance, in the Gliederungen from circa February 1941 to February 1942 the third battery of 21cm Mrs. 188 allocated to Africa is idenified as 4./772, presumably s.Artillerie-Abteilung 772. But then after that it is identified as HKAB 362, which previously shared the manning of 6 7.62cm (r) with HKAB 363 in the Gliederungen?

Very odd. :(

David W

Post by David W » 11 Jul 2006, 10:52

II/115 renamed I/1 Afrika 05/10/42.

523 K renamed III/2 Afrika 06/10/42.

528 K renamed II/2 Afrika 06/10/42.

529 K renamed IV/2 Afrika 19/10/42.

533 K renamed II/1 Afrika 05/10/42.

408 S remaned III/1 Afrika 22/06/41.(or after).

HKAA 532 D.N.E it's usually a typo for HKAA 533. The mistake occurs in genuine original contemporary documents. (No one's perfect! Even Germans!) :wink: :D

Like I said before, great work Brad!!

I have loads of comments, but will restrict myself to the above for now.

Brad Hunter

Post by Brad Hunter » 11 Jul 2006, 14:06

RichTO90 wrote:
Brad Hunter wrote:AXIS ORDER OF BATTLE – EL ALAMEIN
Gliederung der Heeres Artl. des Pz. A.O.K. Afrika (T313, R458, F4983) shows (my interpretation of the battery manning is in parenthesis):

6 7.62cm FK (r) in 1 battery (HKAB 364)
12 8.76cm FK (e) in 3 batteries (HKAB 363 and HKAA 533?)
4 11.4cm FK (e) in 1 battery (elements II./s.Artillerie-Regiment 115)
4 15cm s.FH in 1 battery (1./s.Artillerie-Abteilung 408)
5 15.5cm s.FH (f) in 2 batteries (1. and 3. HKAA 532?)
16 10cm s.FK in 4 batteries (2. and 3. s.Artillerie-Abteilung 408 and ?)
4 10cm s.FK (i) in 1 battery (4./s.Artillerie-Regiment 115)
20 15.5cm s.FK (f) in 5 batteries (1., 2., .3 HKAA 528 and 1. and 3. HKAA 523)
9 17cm s.FK 18 i. Mrs. Laf. in 3 batteries (4./HKAA 149, HKAB 362 and HKAB 902)
4 21cm Mrs. 18 in 1 battery (5. and 6./s.Artillerie-Regiment 115)
Total 84 pieces and 22 batteries

If anyone can help fill in some of the holes it would be appreciated.

HARKO Afrika (ARKO 104)
--Afrika-Artillerie-Regiment 1
---Stab (Artillerie-Regiments-Stab 221)
---I. (Stab/II./s.Artillerie-Regiment 115)
---II. (Stab/Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 532)
---III. Stab/(s.Artillerie-Abteilung 408)
----10. (Heeres- Küsten-Artillerie-Batterie 364)
--Afrika-Artillerie-Regiment 2
---Stab (Artillerie-Regiments-Stab z.b.V. 623)
---I. (Stab/Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 533?)
----2. (4./ Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung. 149)
---II. (Stab/Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 528)
---III. (Stab/Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 523)
---IV. (Stab/Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 529)
--le.Artillerie-Beobachtungs-Abteilung Afrika (le.Artillerie-Beobachtungs-Abteilung 11)

And the Abendmeldung for 24 October 1942 gave the following operational strengths:

Kasta DAK: 4 PzIII (k), 2 PzIII (l)
15. PzD: 12 PzII, 32 PzIII (k), 40 PzIII (l), 12 PzIV (l), 1 PzBefWg
21. PzD: 18 PzII, 41 PzIII (k), 43 PzIII (l), 6 PzIV (k), 15 PzIV (l), 3 PzBefWg
It was reported that 2 PzIII (k), 2 PzIII (l), 1 PzIV (k), and 1 PzIV (l) had been lost during the day.

XX AK (i):
Ariete: 129 medium tanks
Littorio: 115 medium and 20 light tanks
Trieste: 34 medium tanks

I have more if you are interested.
I'm very interested in your info....

Thanks,

Brad

Brad Hunter

Post by Brad Hunter » 11 Jul 2006, 14:07

David W wrote:II/115 renamed I/1 Afrika 05/10/42.

523 K renamed III/2 Afrika 06/10/42.

528 K renamed II/2 Afrika 06/10/42.

529 K renamed IV/2 Afrika 19/10/42.

533 K renamed II/1 Afrika 05/10/42.

408 S remaned III/1 Afrika 22/06/41.(or after).

HKAA 532 D.N.E it's usually a typo for HKAA 533. The mistake occurs in genuine original contemporary documents. (No one's perfect! Even Germans!) :wink: :D

Like I said before, great work Brad!!

I have loads of comments, but will restrict myself to the above for now.
Whatever comments/suggestions you may have, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”