8th Army supply sources after El Alamein

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Ropey

8th Army supply sources after El Alamein

Post by Ropey » 16 Mar 2018, 12:09

Hi

I was looking for some discussion of where 8th Army sourced supply once they were past Cyrenaica in early '43. Presumably Benghazi and Tripoli were used, but does anyone have any detail on capacity for these ports, and whether it was sufficient on its own or supplemented by rail/truck from Egypt still?

I read that in Axis hands they had capacity of approx. 2700 tons/day for Benghazi, but (surprisingly) only 1500 tpd for Tripoli which I thought was the larger port. On these figures there'd only be sufficient supply for approximately 3 Divs. by my reckoning.

Any help is welcome.

Perry

Aber

Re: 8th Army supply sources after El Alamein

Post by Aber » 16 Mar 2018, 14:47

Ropey wrote: I read that in Axis hands they had capacity of approx. 2700 tons/day for Benghazi, but (surprisingly) only 1500 tpd for Tripoli which I thought was the larger port. On these figures there'd only be sufficient supply for approximately 3 Divs. by my reckoning.
Advance from El Aghelia to Tripoli was:
7th Armoured
51st Division
2nd New Zealand Division
22nd Armoured Brigade

much in line with your figures.

Tripoli figures look low.

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 18 Mar 2018, 05:13

Not sure where you read this, but it is wrong. I wrote this up on van Creveld's analysis a while ago:

https://rommelsriposte.com/2011/06/01/c ... ours-1941/

You are also forgetting Tobruk.

Nevertheless, in the short space of time from 3rd Alamein to the capture of Tripoli, I doubt Benghazi would have contributed much, if at all.

Aber, you are forgetting RAF needs methinks?
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Aber

Post by Aber » 18 Mar 2018, 10:14

Urmel wrote: Nevertheless, in the short space of time from 3rd Alamein to the capture of Tripoli, I doubt Benghazi would have contributed much, if at all.

Aber, you are forgetting RAF needs methinks?
IIRC RAF needs for re-establishing airfields to cover supply runs to Malta took first priority over supplies at Benghazi.

There were nearly 2 months between the capture of Benghazi and the final advance to Tripoli, so that it was up and working again.
Benghazi handled 3,000 short tons (2,700 t) a day by the end of December, rather than the expected 800 short tons (730 t)
IIRC Benghazi was shut by storm damage in early January 1943 for several days, slowing the supply build-up which resulted in Montgomery removing 50th Division from the attack on Tripoli.

NZ official history gives 2,000 t/d for Tripoli shortly after re-opening.

LColombo
Banned

Post by LColombo » 18 Mar 2018, 10:58

Several damaged ships were scuttled in Tripoli before the abandonment of the city, I suppose this would diminish the port's capacity for some time?

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 18 Mar 2018, 12:54

Ropey wrote:Hi

I was looking for some discussion of where 8th Army sourced supply once they were past Cyrenaica in early '43. Presumably Benghazi and Tripoli were used, but does anyone have any detail on capacity for these ports, and whether it was sufficient on its own or supplemented by rail/truck from Egypt still?

I read that in Axis hands they had capacity of approx. 2700 tons/day for Benghazi, but (surprisingly) only 1500 tpd for Tripoli which I thought was the larger port. On these figures there'd only be sufficient supply for approximately 3 Divs. by my reckoning.

Any help is welcome.

Perry
Only a part of the Eighth army that fought at El Alemein followed up in pursuit. Thress divisions in fact: 7th armoured, 2 NZ and 51st Highland. Certainly reinforcements traveled by road from Egypt. Jack Schwab an officer replacement for 51st Highland Division describes the journey.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 18 Mar 2018, 12:57

Ropey wrote:Hi

Any help is welcome.

Perry
Only three divisions of the Eighth army that fought at El Alamein followed up in pursuit. 7th Armoured, 2 NZ and 51st Highland. At least some reinforcements for Tunisia traveled by road from Egypt. Jack Schwab an officer replacement for 51st Highland Division describes the journey in Fields of Fire.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”