Battle of Galatas, Crete; call for help on information, esp aerial recon photos anyone?

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Agyoung33

Battle of Galatas, Crete; call for help on information, esp aerial recon photos anyone?

Post by Agyoung33 » 03 Jun 2018, 23:36

Hello, I'm currently researching this battle, originally with an eye to exploring the role NZ forces played.

I have easy access to the NZOH, and ofcourse many of the more popular books published over the last 30 odd years. Information on the fallschirmjager being similarly plentiful.

However with time that scope has widened and I'm intrigued by the role the Greek 6th regiment played. I have just finished "Ten days to Destiny", by Kiriakopoulos, which has given me a rough breakdown and evaluation of the state of this hastily trained formation.

Any information on the above would be of particular interest and greatly appreciated. And aerial recon photos would be "home run! "

Thanks very much, and look forward to hearing of any leads/information.

Cheers
Gary

jwsleser

Re: Battle of Galatas, Crete; call for help on information, esp aerial recon photos anyone?

Post by jwsleser » 21 Jan 2019, 00:05

I don't know how I missed this post (or I read it and forgot about it).

I realize this post is six months old and Gary (the poster) only made this one post. Who knows, he still might be looking for an answer. :)

Info is from the English translation of the Greek official history The Battle of Crete May 1941 published by the Hellenic Army General Staff, 2000.

Note that these Greek 'regiments' were in reality no more than battalion size units. They were mainly formed by recruits who were called-up in early April and just started their training. Senior officers were assigned from the pool of those fit for duty. Junior officers were mostly those recently graduated from the training platoon. NCOs were selected from recent mobilization classes. This was all put together in April. These units were to be ready to move at a short notice by 15 April. If ordered to move, they were to carry all their issued equipment, their existing weapons, one blanket, and all their available ammunition. In all, eight training battalions were moved to Crete.

6th (Cretan) Infantry Regiment - Established from one battalion of the Nauplion Training Center that was transported to Crete on 26 April 1941. Originally titled Training battalion VI, but renamed as an infantry regiment on 11 May. Strength was 39 officers, 1350 enlisted men. Organized as five infantry companies, one machine-gun company. No data on weapons, but approximately half the men were unarmed. The unit had little training. The regiment received ammunition on 19th but had not finished its distribution.

A map of the regiment's position on 20 May.

Pista! Jeff
CreteGKOfficalMap420190120_15303016.jpg
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Agyoung33

Re: Battle of Galatas, Crete; call for help on information, esp aerial recon photos anyone?

Post by Agyoung33 » 08 Feb 2019, 00:04

Hello Jeff!

First of all, thankyou for the information, very interesting. It's of great help!!

I'd forgotten that I even made this post here, and it turned up in a google search and I found your reply!!

Again, thanks for the information!

Cheers
Gary

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”