What is some good introductory reading to the North Africa theatre?

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Komi

What is some good introductory reading to the North Africa theatre?

Post by Komi » 22 Apr 2021, 16:34

Could anyone recommend a few books that provide good coverage of the North African theatre in WW2 for someone like myself who isn't particularly well-read on this part of the war? I'm interested in learning about any and all regions and campaigns of this theatre, from Morocco to Egypt, from 1940 all the way to 1943.

Sheldrake

Re: What is some good introductory reading to the North Africa theatre?

Post by Sheldrake » 22 Apr 2021, 17:14

One starting point might be Alan Mooreheads Desert Trilogy. It is a well written account form the allied side. It is contemporary reporting rather than analytical, but does capture atmosphere.

Another might be George Forty's Desert War or Warren Tute's North African War. Both British accounts - though Manfred Rommel wrote the forward to Tute's book.

Balance this with Rommel's North African Campaign by American Jack Green and Italian Alessandro Massignani.

Komi

Post by Komi » 22 Apr 2021, 17:51

Sheldrake wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 17:14
One starting point might be Alan Mooreheads Desert Trilogy. It is a well written account form the allied side. It is contemporary reporting rather than analytical, but does capture atmosphere.

Another might be George Forty's Desert War or Warren Tute's North African War. Both British accounts - though Manfred Rommel wrote the forward to Tute's book.

Balance this with Rommel's North African Campaign by American Jack Green and Italian Alessandro Massignani.
Thanks.

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 23 Apr 2021, 12:00

My go-to as intro text remains Jackson's 'Battle for North Africa'. There's a new work coming by Cédric Mas this year I hope.

A lot of the official histories are available online (Australia, New Zealand, first part of UK, Italian OH Vol. III in English).
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 23 Apr 2021, 13:24

Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Gooner1

Post by Gooner1 » 23 Apr 2021, 14:50

Urmel wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 12:00
My go-to as intro text remains Jackson's 'Battle for North Africa'. There's a new work coming by Cédric Mas this year I hope.

A lot of the official histories are available online (Australia, New Zealand, first part of UK, Italian OH Vol. III in English).
Volume III of the Italian OH in English is available online?

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 23 Apr 2021, 17:20

The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 10 May 2021, 08:03

The Mediterranean and Middle East series by Playfair and the Path to Victory by Douglas Porch are good for starters :)
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”