Australians at Derna

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
jwsleser

Australians at Derna

Post by jwsleser » 26 Sep 2021, 18:43

I am seeking some help in identifying Australian infantry company designations during the Battle for Derna in January 1941.

My main source is Long’s To Benghazi. The problem I have encountered is that Long exclusively uses the company commander’s names to identify the units, not the unit designations. I have tried to Google the names to see if I can find any service information, but the records only state the battalion, not the company. The Australian battalion histories are rare and generally unavailable, either from libraries or for sale (as my focus is on the Italians, buying Australian histories is something I rather not do).

Below is what I have been able to establish. If any can connect the name to the company during that battle, that would be great. Note I had to use the account of the attack on Tobruk to assemble this list, so there might be some errors due to changes between Tobruk and Derna. Cpt. Campbell commanded C/2/8 but was killed at Tobruk. I believe Challen replaced him, but not sure. Any recommended reading on the battle itself would be welcome as well. I am looking for tactical details, not the brief overview provided in most histories.

19th Aust. Bde. - Col. H. Robertson

2/4 Aust. Inf - Lt Col. I.N. Dougherty
Cpt. C.B.N. Rolfe
Cpt. H.S. Conkey
Cpt. J. McCarty
Cpt. M.K. Rungie

2/8 Aust. Inf - Col. J.W. Mitchell
Maj. H.H. McDonald - A or B Coy
Cpt. C.J.A. Coombes - A or B Coy
Cpt. H.R. Challen - C?
Cpt. J.A.H. Smith - D Coy.

2/11 Aust. Inf - Lt Col T.S. Louch
Cpt. E.W. Egan
Cpt. R. Honner
Cpt. R.J. Horley
Cpt. P.M. Shanahan

Molte grazie! for any assistance!

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Ружичасти Слон

Re: Australians at Derna

Post by Ружичасти Слон » 27 Sep 2021, 18:09

You can to read war diarys on Australia infantry online. Maybe you can to find datas you was want on war diarys.

jwsleser

Re: Australians at Derna

Post by jwsleser » 27 Sep 2021, 21:25

Thank you.

I didn't know they're online. Found and used.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”