US Military Railroad Operation - Repairing Destroyed Railroad Bridges - Italy 1943 & 1944 - Part 2

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Richard Stone

US Military Railroad Operation - Repairing Destroyed Railroad Bridges - Italy 1943 & 1944 - Part 2

Post by Richard Stone » 30 Jul 2022, 06:30

The attached article, which is the 2nd Part of a 2-Part Series, describes some of the methods used by the US Army Engineer Battalions and US Army Military Railroad Operating Battalions, in combination with the British Royal Engineer and British Royal Engineer Railway Operating units, to rebuild wrecked railway bridges in Italian Theater during the 1944 period. The Wehrmacht demolished numerous Italian Railway bridges during their retreats and these required extensive repairs by the Allies in order to return the Italian railway lines to operation.

The original article was printed in the December 23, 1944 edition of the USA railroad industry magazine 'Railway Age’.

Due to this site’s limitation of the attachment file size I had to break up each page into separate attachments. Where necessary, the attachment quality can be improved by clicking on it. This post contains the attachments of the first 3 pages. I will post the remaining pages in 1 more post shortly.

This article was a difficult one to copy due to the large size of the original bound volume of 'Railway Age'. I hope the quality of my copies will not make these difficult to read.

I will place a duplicate of this post in this website's sections ‘WW2 In Africa & the Mediterranean’ and the United Kingdom & Its Empire and Commonwealth 1919 -1945 since the article discusses the considerable efforts of the British units with the railway bridge rebuilding work.

In 1946 the British Royal Engineers printed their own book,'Railway Reconstruction Italy 1943-1946’, about their railway rebuilding activities during the Italian Campaign. The book contains much useful information about the large scope of the railway rebuilding work the Royal Engineers performed, sometimes with the assistance of the US Railway Battalions, to repair the extensive Wehrmacht demolitions.
MRS - Bridges Italy2 -1A.png
MRS - Bridges Italy2 -1B.png
MRS - Bridges Italy2 -2A.png
MRS - Bridges Italy2 -2B.png
MRS - Bridges Italy2 -3A.png

Richard Stone

Re: US Military Railroad Operation - Repairing Destroyed Railroad Bridges - Italy 1943 & 1944 - Part 2

Post by Richard Stone » 30 Jul 2022, 06:32

These are the remaining pages.
MRS - Bridges Italy2 -3B.png
MRS - Bridges Italy2 -4A.png
MRS - Bridges Italy2 -4B.png

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”