Allied forces in Corsica 1943

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Lupo Solitario

Allied forces in Corsica 1943

Post by Lupo Solitario » 24 Sep 2003, 18:34

Hi all

I'm looking for the complete OOB for allied forces (mainly french gaullistes) which landed in Corsica at mid-september 1943.

Overall I'm interested in seeking if there was or not an american special forces (or assault) unit which is given only in some sources

any help is appreciated
Lupo

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 24 Sep 2003, 21:27

Ok, I will try to help but I have no exhaustive information ....

1) ALLIED TROOPS :

Commander of the Free French Troops in Corsica : General Henry Martin

Operation "Vésuve" (landing and liberation of Corsica) is an enterely french-led operation (organized by General Giraud and led by Général Henry Martin ). The French resistance and the French troops liberated the island which has been used later as an interesting basis for the Provence landings where French troops were also strongly involved, constituting more than 50% of the troops involved.

FRENCH TROOPS :

- 1st Bataillon de Choc (Colonel Gambiez)
- HQ and various elements of the 4th DMM (Division de Montagne Marocaine)
- 1st RTM (Régiment de Tirailleurs Marocains) (Colonel Jean Jacques De Butler)
- 2nd GTM (Groupement de Tabors Marocains)
- 1st and 2nd Squadrons of the 4th RSM (Régiment de Spahis Marocains)

After the liberation of Sicily the French partisans in Corsica began full scale armed actions against the occupants.
On 10th, 11th an 13th September 1943 : landing of the 1st bataillon de Choc making its junction with the partisans
On 17th September 1943 : landing of the other troops

Colonel Jean Jacques De Butler

French resistants in Corsica

2 French soldiers and 2 French partisans near Bastia in Corsica

I know various French navy elements were involved but I have no complete list of them :

- Fantasque counter-torpedo boat
- Alcyon torpedo boat
- Fortune torpedo boat
- Tempête torpedo boat
- Jeanne d'Arc cruiser
- Fantasque light cruiser
- LSTs
- Casabianca submarine (infiltrating troops and helping the resistance since 1942, providing weapons etc.)

Casabianca French submarine

About the aerial component 2 French fighter groups and at least 1 French bombing group were involved but most of the support came from the USAF.

------------------------------------------------

2) AXIS FORCES :

a) GERMAN FORCES (12000 men)
Army Commander of Sardinia and Corsica
Generalleutnant Fridolin von Senger und Etterlin
# SS Sturmbrigade "Reichsführer SS" (SS Obersturmbannführer Karl Gesele)
- Grenadier battalion Sturmbrig Reichsführer SS
- Panzerjäger Abt Reichsführer SS
- Sturmgeschütz Abt Reichsführer SS (StuG III Ausf F)
- Flak Abt Reichsführer SS (8,8 cm and 2 cm)

# III/IR 870 from the 356.ID (Hauptmann Meyer)

# 90 Pz.Gren.Div (Generalleutnant Carl-Hans Lungershausen)
- Panzer.Abt 190 (Sardinien Panzer Btl with Pz IV and Beute Pz) : Major Josef Zugner
- Panzer.Gren.Rgt (mot) 155 (Sardinien 1) : Major Erich Kayser
- Panzer.Gren.Rgt 200 (Sardinien 2) : Oberstleutnant Heinrich baron von Behr
- Panzer.Gren.Rgt 361 (853 Sturm.Rgt) : Oberstleutnant Albert Panzenhagen
- Artillerie. Rgt 190 (mot) : Oberstleutnant Kurt Kischke
- Pionier.Batl 190 (mot) : Hauptmann Rudolf Kube
- Panzerjäger Abt 190: Major Helfried Studnitz
- Sturmgeschütz Abt 242
- Panzer Flak Abt 190 (LW)
- Versorgs Kp
- Le.Pio.Kolonne (mot)
- Brücken.Kolonne (mot)
- Nachrichten Abt190 (mot): Major Dietrich Kretschmer
- Div.Naschub.Tr 190 (mot): Hauptmann Paul Bott

b) ITALIAN FORCES (80000 men) :
Commanders of the VII Army Corps
1943 : General Giovanni Magli

- 184 Division Nembo (paratroopers)
- 175 Rgt Alpini
- Division Cremona
- Division Friuli
- 205 Artiglieria division
- 30 Artiglieria division
- 47 Artiglieria division
- 204 Division Costiera
- 205 Division Costiera
- 225 Division Costiera
- 226 Division Costiera
- 107 Btg MTR Autoblindo
- 182 Rgt Costiero
- 10 Rgt Celere
- 7 Rapp di Artig
and others units ... I am not sure of the Italian OB ... Lupo could you help ? I think only few units fought actually.

Regards,

David

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 25 Sep 2003, 16:53

Thanks David for great info :D

I don't know why but i'm interested of Corsica and Sardinia in WW2.Go figure :roll:

/Juha

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 25 Sep 2003, 17:42

thanks David

your infos largely meet mine. May I use your pics? My considerations:

- about French, I'm trying to fix if the two colonial regiments had four or six battalions as different sources tell. Sources I saw indicated french landings started september 14
Overall I see you exclude presence of american units which is one of the most debated points. I'm wondering this possibility: while colonial battalions had still 1940 french equipment, the choc battalion was probably just US equipped so it could have been confused with an american unit. What do you think?

-about German, the III/870 battalion was full part of RFSS Sturmbrigade and lack many little units. Again the 90th PG was first in Sardnia and reached Corsica between 10 and 16 September. Overall I've still not well identified armored units of 90th

-about Italian: I'm sorry but your OOB list many units which were in Sardinia. A list more correct is:
20th Infantry Division "Friuli"
44th Infantry Division "Cremona"
225th Coastal Division
226th Coastal Division
Raggruppamento Sud
10th Raggruppamento Celere
175th Alpini Regiment
182th Coastal Infantry Regiment
1st CCNN Landing Group
7th Corps Artillery Group
(I could give it until battalion level, if you need)
Italian forces suffered about 600 KIA and 2000 MIA in Corsica which would show a real involvement in action. However it must be told that italian forces were fighting against germans, too

Regards
Lupo

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 25 Sep 2003, 18:00

Thanks for your precisions Lupo.
Sorry for the bad Italian OB but as I said I knew it was not good :) By saying I am not sure the Italian forces actually fought I didn't meant they ran to surrender but I heard that part of the forces fought with the Germans, an other part didn't fight and other units more or less fought against the Germans and I have no clear idea of who did what on the Italian side.

The photos are taken from various websites (click right on the photos and go to properties). I have never heard of US ground forces in Corsica but USAF units definitively yes and probably USN too. What unit have you heard could have been in Corsica ?

The 1st RTM had 3 battalions + regimental elements :
http://mapage.noos.fr/4edmm/odb_1e_rtm.htm

David

PS : what means CCNN ? Could that be the famous US signal unit CNN ? :)

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 28 Sep 2003, 16:43

Hi david

I got some source which tells that an american "special" or "assault" unit (probably company level) should have fought in Corsica but other sources consider only french units. We are certainly speaking about a land combat unit. As I told, I'm wondering if this unit could be simply the battalion du choc which having american equipment could have been seen as a US unit...my hypothesis.

thanks for the link. I don't speak french so I'm not sure having understood well but it's interesting

CCNN means Camicie Nere, "Blackshirts" or MVSN or Fascist Militia as you prefer

About italians, there were about 80000 italians in corsica. Of these the number who chose to stand aside germans could have been no more of 1000 to whom shouldbe added a similiar contingent (mainly the XII para battalion) which came from sardinia with 90th PzGrenDiv. Many italians effectively did nothing but they were distant from germans (western part of island) and were not mobile units. The largest part of italian forces stood compact under their command and fought against germans. Anyway that is the main argument of my researches (I'm trying to write an article for a magazine). Having a good vision is uneasy, for example, italian and partisan forces fought aside in many sectors but in their relations tend to forget each other, germans seem always believe fighting against regular gaullistes forces, etc. etc.

The most curious element of Corsica campaign is that all parties take it as victory, cause
for Frenchmen, is the liberation of the first part of their metropolitan territory by a french force
for Germans, is a succesful retreat of about 30000 men with equipment thru an enemy controlled sea
for Italians, is the only case in which an italian great unit reached to stay compact after armistice and fight against germans with success...

anyway an interesting campaign
Lupo

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 28 Sep 2003, 17:07

Well, Sicily for example is considered a victory I guess even if the allied suffered more than 5000 KIAs and if the German and Italian forces succeeded in their huge evacuation for only one KIA during the evacuation itself.

The German evacuation operation was called "Lehrgang" and if you add to it the German evacuation operated between the 1st and 16th August, a total of 40000 men, 15000 WIAs, 10000 vehicles, 51 tanks (one single Tiger I), 163 guns and 16791 t of various supply were saved.
During the same time the Italian admiral Pietro Barone evacuated 70000-75000 men, 500 vehicles, 100 guns and 12 mules :)

The German used the famous Siebel and MFP (Fährpramm) here a MFP :

Regards,

David

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 29 Sep 2003, 16:27

Hi Panzermeyer, so what exactly were the german and italian casualties during the confrontation with the allies, excluding the 1 KIA you mentioned during the withdrawal.

olive

Post by olive » 13 Oct 2003, 19:17

Hi everybody!
two Us units,apart from the USAAF,participated in the liberation of Corsica:a PT-boats squadron and a US comando specialized in the antitank warfare.This last unit fought with Italians in the "vallée du Golo",near Barchetta.

michalst

Post by michalst » 10 Feb 2008, 23:54

Are there any good books in English about fighting in Corsica in 1943?

HMan

Re: Allied forces in Corsica 1943

Post by HMan » 11 Nov 2008, 22:41

Any idea how big a total the French forces were?

The following is a link to info of a US OSS unit
on Corsica:

http://www.ossog.org/italy/fourthgroup.html

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 22 Dec 2008, 00:44

HMan wrote:Any idea how big a total the French forces were?

The following is a link to info of a US OSS unit
on Corsica:

http://www.ossog.org/italy/fourthgroup.html
During the campaign on Corsica 6600 French and North African trops were landed along with 1276 tons of material, 208 guns and vehicles.

On the 13th, the French submarine Casabianca (Capitaine de Fregate Jean L'Herminier) anchored at Ajaccio and landed 109men. In addition to Davids naval listing the cruiser Montcalm was also involved.

The figure most quoted for French 'partisans' on Corsica is 20,000

Regards

Andy H

Post by 500 » 03 Mar 2009, 19:50

Hi guys - its all so interesting. There was definately a British RAF unit in corsica REALLY early while the Germans and Italians were still there. It was 500 County of Kent Squadron who were on detachment from La Senia, Blida and Bone at the time and flew in to Ghisonaccia, Corsica. Some flew to Sardinia first and then Corsica. All had similar orders -"to establish squatters rights'. Fred ('Torso') Bennett (so called because of his great physique like the newspaper cartoon character of the time), was in the first Lockheed Hudson into Ghisonaccia Corsica - taking supplies for the rest of the squadron detachment to follow. The plane was loaded with supplies and even a motor bike. Fred Bennett was usually ground crew but flew on occasions as aircrew when needed. Fred and the rest of the crew, were according to some first hand information, the first plane to arrive with orders to deliver supplies and set up base in I believe Sept 1943! For all of them the trip was exciting but for a time Fred read the last few pages of his book 'The Count of Monte Cristo' awaiting a landing into the unknown. On arrival, they took a few Italian prisoners and liberated several small but unknown villages whilst setting up base at the aerodrome near the railway station (Ghisonaccia Gare). The runway was all bombed up and the hudson had to hop in over the crators. The railway yard and carriages etc had also been left blown to smithereens by the Germans. I have pics but can't get them on this site for some reason. I believe very shortly after, around 3.11.43, Hal Hallonqvist also of 500 squadron flew in on a Hudson too having been to Sardinia first with Jimmy Thompson, wireless operator, and two Australians: Arthur Dick (Navigator) and Tom Renwick with similar orders and under the same conditions - dangerous landings for all! (Tom Renwick had replaced Billy Swift who in Blida/Bone a short time before had been called out his tent and had volunteered for another mission. Billy never returned and had crashed near Algiers ). Two other hudsons also took supplies. Once set up, the commanding officer / station commander at Ghisonaccia was C.O Bruce McKenzie of the S.A Airforce, I believe attached to 500 Squadron. The billets were on the main road about five minutes walk from the Aerodrome and the station ( Ghisonaccia Gare ). Fred Bennett and Hallonqvist died recently ( Hal more recently than Frederick ), Jimmy Thompson is still fine and having a great time remembering and a great source of information! All are and were really nice guys from whom I hear /heard many amazing true stories of their adventures on arrival in Ghisonaccia. Corsica late in 43. Long Live 500 Squadron!

500 and 1

Post by 500 and 1 » 06 Apr 2011, 22:39

Re 500's entry: I knew these guys and its true. RAF (UK) 500 County of Kent Squadron was one of the first squadrons in. Its such a shame as they are often not remembered over the Americans. I think we flew from La Senia or Bone. Fred Bennett was indeed in the first plane into Ghisonaccia Gare! When we got there Fred Bennett ( Torso ) was also put in charge of the Italian prisoners when any were captured. He led a small group of 500 squadron men down a quiet ravene and up the other side to where a bell was ringing randomly in a village. He was infact a very brave man as noone particularly wanted to go as the Nazis were still on the island at the time. When they got to the village all the villagers were hiding and Fred proclaimed they had been liberated..much to the joy of the locals! Hand granades and other ingenious devices were often used by 500 to gather food from the lakes and many were riding around on three wheeled Italian or corsican bikes. I have several photos of him just landed in a Lockheed Hudson. Hallonqvist also came in in a Hudson. Fred was a real character and a very popular and valuable member of the squadron as he was good at everything. Although he didn't enjoy flying much, he often went making him all the more brave! I think he joined the Control Comission Herford Germany directly after the war where he met his English wife. I have his son's email. [email protected]. I visited him once and he showed me some really great photos of his dad in Corsica - Ghisonaccia Gare of which I have some too.

Post by 500 » 16 Nov 2012, 00:53

The British SOE and Blida.
It was not just French resistance forces which went into Corsica in August / September 43. I see you have a long list already so I will give you some more info. Secret Operations - SOE RAF had a special station in Blida N. Africa in July 43. They were working on many things including under wing rockets and new Radar as well as sending secret SOE missions into Corsica. SOE in Blida was 624 Squadron but they often used planes, equipment and men from other squadrons based there. At that time and together with UK Naval SOE, they worked with other squadrons based in Blida and Bone. These included some of the french Spitfire Squadrons, RAF 500 Squadron and a unit of RAF 458 Squadron. Missions were being sent to fly to Corsica in Lockheed Hudsons for drops and pick ups taking in resisters and supplies. 500 used Hudsons, 458 used Wellingtons.458 was also stationed at Protville but the Protville unit mainly flew anti submarine recce missions in and around Corsica.Royal Navy UK SOE units in MTB boats were sent to areas around Bastia in September 43 where they were often supplied with Italian and German boats because they were quieter. Only if the wind was in the right direction! They even came with Italian crews which on occasions, still shouted Heil Hitler and clicked their heels by mistake which unnerved the commanders. Missions to Ghisonaccia including SOE were made by 500 in September, October and November of 1943. 458's Col Bruce McKenzie was the first Station Commander there. He flew his personal Hurricane into Bastia on October the 4th 43. On the morning of the 4th, he watched his own 458 Wellingtons bomb Bastia... from the underneath! We know the result luckily for him but not for many others. He then flew to Ghisonaccia to meet up with the 500 squadron detachment there where, he became station commander for RAF 500 detachment.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”