Sicily evacuation - why did the Allies fail to stop it?

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
JeffreyF

Post by JeffreyF » 27 Jul 2004, 03:11

Yes I've read your reference to these sources several times. Probably going to send money to a cousin to start buying a few of those until I get back over there next year. My suitcases always contain more food than clothes when I come back to the states as it is. :D

DrG

Post by DrG » 27 Jul 2004, 14:45

JeffreyF, in this page you can see the list of the old numbers of "Storia Militare" still avaible: http://www.storiamilitare-aes.com/index.html (see the image at the bottom: "Servizio Arretrati").
In this un-official site there are the summaries of all the numbers of Storia Militare, just like in the site above, but here the images of the covers are more clear: http://www.amv-lilliput.org/smil/smil.htm. If you think you would like to buy a number of Storia Militare but you're not sure about it, you may send me a PM and, if I have that number, I'll tell you what you need.
Tuttostoria has really a huge catalogue, but it's not very fast (you'll have your books at least a week after the order), thus I hope you'll stay in Italy enough time. Moreover, old numbers of Storia Militare (those untill 2002) are going to be sold out rather quickly, if you have relatives in Italy you might ask them to buy the old numbers you would like before your return here next year, since it's possible that in 2005 you'll be no more able to buy them.

DrG

Post by DrG » 28 Jul 2004, 16:07

My friend has sent to me these details from that article of Storia Militare n.82.
The CL Scipione Africano, that was directed to Taranto from La Spezia, discovered four MTBs at a distance of 10,000 m at 2:04am of 17 July 1943. The MTBs (315, 260, 313, 316) were of the 10th Flotilla. The Scipione attacked at 30 knots, the 315 and 316 tried to attack with torpedoes, while the 260 and 313 retreated. The 316 was destroyed by Scipione's gunfire at 2:18am, while the torpedoes of the 315 missed the target (now at 36 knots). Then also the other two MTBs attacked with torpedoes, but again they were avoided by Scipione. Meanwhile German coastal batteries of Calabria had started to fire at Scipione, but he wasn't hit. The cruiser directed to East at 2:30, followed for a few time by the MTB 260 that, sailing at 38 knots, was unable to reach him (in fact the cruiser was at 40 knots now). The 316 and 260 returned to the base with superficial damages, but the commander and a sailor of the 260 were wounded.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”