Question on the Italian unit GGFF.

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
JeffreyF

Question on the Italian unit GGFF.

Post by JeffreyF » 05 Aug 2004, 03:17

Was it possibly here someone had written up an account of the Giovani Fascisti fighting a defensive battle against the commonwealth in Tunisia with the GGFF holding the high ground? If memory serves and I'm just not making things up it was an attack involving Valentines that got bogged down trying to get across some anti-tank ditch or natural terrain that impeded travel and engineers hadn't been able to get the tanks across it properly.

Also anyone know where I could find a good English language retelling of the second battle of Bir el Gobi involving the GGFF? Don't care if it's a book I have to buy. Best account I can recall reading is in Rommel's North AFrica Campaign by Greene and Massignani which really doesn't provide much detail. Might break down and buy the Italian book on the Giovani Fascisti but that will be a bit slower reading.

Thanks for any help or corrections on my spotty memory

panzertruppe2001

Post by panzertruppe2001 » 05 Aug 2004, 18:46

Excuse my ignorance but what is it the GGFF?

Thanks

Jack Nisley

Post by Jack Nisley » 05 Aug 2004, 23:33

JeffreyF, you are thinking of the Battle of Mareth in March 1943 and the attack of 50th Div and 50th R.T.R. Good info in History of the Second World War, The Mediterranean and Middle East, Vol IV by I. S. O. Playfair, the British Official History of WW II.

Don't know where you are, but in USA larger college/university library's probably have it.

Jack Nisley

JeffreyF

Post by JeffreyF » 06 Aug 2004, 05:10

I'm in the wonderful state of Texas. Been awhile since I last attended college though. Thanks for the information.

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 16 Aug 2004, 21:58

panzertruppe2001 wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what is it the GGFF?

Thanks
GGFF, acronym for Giovani Fascisti (Young Fascists)

Volunteer unit of Italian Army, formed by universitary students of GIL (universitary fascist organization).
Organized in early 1941 as a "group" of two battalions, sent in North Africa in fall 1941. Fought in Crusader, substaing an hard battle at Bir-el-Gobi in december 1941.
Upgraded to regiment in first half of 1942; in summer 1942 is chosen to serve as base for a new armored division which had to be called "Giovani Fascisti".
The division was never formed as armored but, reorganizing forces survived to Alamein, it was created on regiments Giovani Fascisti, 8th Bersaglieri and 136th Artillery.
Division fights in Tunisia and is there destroyed in May 1943

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 17 Aug 2004, 01:44

The regimental history of the 50th RTR is by Stephen D Hamilton and published by The Lutterworth Press. ISBN 0718829387

It details this battle with emphasis on the Regimental action and only a passing (general) reference to the Italian/German forces, though it has a couple of pics of knocked out Valentines within the ditch you mentioned.

Not worth buying but get it via your library

Andy H

panzertruppe2001

Post by panzertruppe2001 » 21 Aug 2004, 18:08

Lupo Solitario wrote:
panzertruppe2001 wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what is it the GGFF?

Thanks
GGFF, acronym for Giovani Fascisti (Young Fascists)

Volunteer unit of Italian Army, formed by universitary students of GIL (universitary fascist organization).
Organized in early 1941 as a "group" of two battalions, sent in North Africa in fall 1941. Fought in Crusader, substaing an hard battle at Bir-el-Gobi in december 1941.
Upgraded to regiment in first half of 1942; in summer 1942 is chosen to serve as base for a new armored division which had to be called "Giovani Fascisti".
The division was never formed as armored but, reorganizing forces survived to Alamein, it was created on regiments Giovani Fascisti, 8th Bersaglieri and 136th Artillery.
Division fights in Tunisia and is there destroyed in May 1943

Thanks people

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”