Pictures from Yugoslavia 1941-1945: take a look!

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 02 Apr 2006 15:00

I tried that already twice. Never got an answer-"Balkane,Balkane,Balkane moj..."
Why don't you then search or order them via Bosnian or Serbian National Library? :|

Gaius, do you know this man?
URL: http://bs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavo_Jusuf ... jevi%C4%87
.... Kako su ove regimente spadale u najodlikovanije regimente k.& k. armije, Urban je angažovao jednog austrijskog autora, da napiše knigu o ovim jedinicama te o učešću Bošnjaka u Svjetskom ratu. Nakon određenog vremena predviđenog za prikupljanje potrebnog materijala, ispostavilo se da je pronađena dokumentacija isuviše oskudna te da se na njoj ne može temeljiti jedan historijski spis....
Kakve gluposti so ovo? :roll:

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 02 Apr 2006 15:01

What a cute girl she is! :D

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 02 Apr 2006 15:29

Gaius, do you know this man?
URL: http://bs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavo_Jusuf ... jevi%C4%87

.... Kako su ove regimente spadale u najodlikovanije regimente k.& k. armije, Urban je angažovao jednog austrijskog autora, da napiše knigu o ovim jedinicama te o učešću Bošnjaka u Svjetskom ratu. Nakon određenog vremena predviđenog za prikupljanje potrebnog materijala, ispostavilo se da je pronađena dokumentacija isuviše oskudna te da se na njoj ne može temeljiti jedan historijski spis....

Kakve gluposti so ovo? Rolling Eyes
No,I don't know him. What's the catch with the "gluposti" part? I really don't get it.

Cheers,

Gaius

BKG

Post by BKG » 02 Apr 2006 16:33

rommel_gaj wrote:Hi iterumruditleo,

if any more pics of Trieste fall in to my hands,I'll be more than happy to post them.
By the way,do you know some stories about the battle?

Cheers,

Gaius
Well as far as I know, the germans were kept under siege and didnt surrender. They surrendered from another point, Villa Geirlinger. They retreated from the Palace of Justice (shown in one of the pics posted) from the beehive bunker known as "Kleine Berlin", which connected that important buldings with many others occupied houses in the near streets. Nowadays Kleine Berlin has been reopened and explored, but some of the branches were shutdown shortly after may 1945, since the germans put alot of boobytraps to prevent the partisans to follow them. The german snipers were very active from the roof of the Palace and there is one story of a partisan hit and left there for 2 days,in a small square which is about 100 meters from the building.There are some reference books about those days, but its not easy to put all the pieces together. What I'm studying now is exactly to find out where all the fights happened in 1945 around Trieste, when the partisans entered town.

streljko1

Post by streljko1 » 09 Apr 2006 15:41

Hello iterumruditleo,
According to Yugoslav sources, 4. Yugoslav Army quickly advanced into Trieste because local antifascist forced German garrison to abandon defence of entire city and to retreat to few strong points. Local partisans could not alone liberate entire city, but they linked with regular Yugoslav forces and guided them into town. Without their help, Yugoslavs would be lost in large city, and surely NZ division could alone claim Trieste garrison.
In many cases German troops, surrounded and in desperate situation, usually refused surrender to Yugoslavs if they learn that Allies are near. That led to more bitter combat and high casualties for both sides.
Some of fortified positions (where most of combat took place) in Trieste itself were:

Elba factory- Yugoslav 3. and 4.Dalmatian brigade aided with Slovenian and Italian antifascist overrunned estimated 1200 ss troops, sailors, Četnik and Italian fascist. In factory were 3 AT and 6 AA guns. On the walls around factory were bunkers. After mortar and AT fire Yugoslav assault groups reached roof of the building and defenders surrendered.

Rocol(Monte Bello) barracks- 11.Dalmatian brigade surrounded the barracks and captured them after short exchange of fire(including panzer faust fire) Yugoslavs had 4 dead and 2 wounded, around 600 Germans were POW. Germans even improvised bunkers of food bags.

San Marco Shipyard- German navy infantry unit there refused surrender to 11.Dalmatian brigade because German commander obviously had contact with NZ tank unit and waited for their intervention. But Yugoslav commander, irritated by NZ capture of San Giusto fortress that was surrounded by his troops threatened to use his AT guns against any non Yugoslav tank in his zone of responsibility, and NZ troops retreated. Yugoslav casualties there were 14 KIA and 10 WIA. Around 400 Germans were captured (including 21 officer) and 54 lay dead.

Palatia Beltrano in Via Zanelli street and ex Jewish school in Via del Monti (ss and sailors) - were captured by combined force of Trieste partisans and Yugoslav regular troops after workers improvised fire throwers of fireman equipment and used them on both buildings.

Trieste garrison had 10 battalions and 37 batteries, in all 11.000 men (parts of 188 division, 509.Sich. battalion, 7. ss replacement battalion, navy, artillery and policy units +Italian fascist militia and navy, 600 NDH sailors, Slovenian Homeguard units).

Map of Trieste operation, from Rako/Družijanić book "11.dalmatinska brigada":

BKG

Post by BKG » 09 Apr 2006 15:56

stunning informations and map! THanks a lot
could you find any reference on mentioned book on the german positions at Castle "Villa Geirlinger" and the bunkers around Opcina "Obelisco" area and Basovizza woods ? There were heavy fightings in those areas, but i cannot get any source about that. Local stories here tell about an episode which i would like to document : Partisans arrived and camped near the University (on the hills of Trieste) in the morning the entire camp was destroyed by german mortars placed in Villa Geirlinger,which was still an unspotted position.

streljko1

Post by streljko1 » 24 Apr 2006 16:18

Info about Trieste operation from NZ point of view could be found on http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-W ... c12-1.html
11.Dalmatian brigade infantry and NZ tanks, Tribunal : http://www.nzetc.org/etexts/WH2-20Ba/WH2-20Ba038b.jpg
More pictures: http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/name-001410.html

Befehl227

Wounded Yugoslav partisans reach Malta

Post by Befehl227 » 29 Apr 2006 02:28

A nice "WAR OFFICE PHOTO".(Picture issued Feb.1944)

A large number of Yugoslav guerilla fighters have arrived in Malta.Among them are a number of young boys and girls,who have all taken part in the fighting.They disembarked from the Hospital carrier "Dinard" and were taken to the 29th General Hospital there they are cared for.
Picture shows two young girls guerillas who have arrived in Malta suffering from gunshot wounds.

Victor

Post by Victor » 30 Apr 2006 09:33

Befehl227, please also mention the source of the photo, as requested by the forum rules

streljko1

Post by streljko1 » 05 May 2006 19:23

Few pictures from site http://www.modrojezero.org/docs/history/WWII/index.html, dedicated to Imotski, small town in Dalmatia and its surrounding area.
Italian troops arrive in Imotski, 1941:

Colonel Šimić with his scout plane:

Croatian legionares – 369ID, near Imotski:

Ustaše, Imotski(1943?):

Germans(118JD I guess) and Ustaše inspect wreck of plane shot down over Imotski, Ričice,august 1944.:

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 11 May 2006 11:08

Here are a few photos dealing with the liberation of Zagreb,May 8th,1945,taken from

http://forum.slobodnajugoslavija.com/vi ... &highlight

First partisans on the Jelacic square:

JA units marching trough Jelacic square:

Armour on the square:

Victor

Post by Victor » 21 May 2006 11:46

An off-topic discussion was split off: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=101633
Last edited by Victor on 22 May 2006 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 21 May 2006 23:01

Victor wrote:Hrvat and rommel_gaj, you are off-topic. Please stick to the photos and leave your discussion for threads dedicated to the NDH regime. Should you continue, the posts will be deleted without any further warning.
I beg your pardon,but would you quote my posts which went "off topic"? Unless the photos of war-time Zagreb are off-topic...

Gaius

Victor

Post by Victor » 22 May 2006 08:18

Sorry rommel_gaj, don't know why I wrote that. I meant alibegoa.

Befehl227

Post by Befehl227 » 27 May 2006 03:05

Victor wrote:Befehl227, please also mention the source of the photo, as requested by the forum rules
Please excuse the delay! The photo is from my private collection.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”