Pictures from Yugoslavia 1941-1945: take a look!

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Horthy68_57

Post by Horthy68_57 » 24 Dec 2006 02:43

Bulgarian troops:

What gun is this?

streljko1

Post by streljko1 » 25 Dec 2006 22:30

Page http://oklop2.tripod.com was updated with new info and pictures of tanks, unfortunately, not in english language, so here is translation of few facts taken from book: Mladen Paver ''Bataljon ''Feniks''

Italian tanks: http://oklop2.tripod.com/fiat.htm
H-39: http://oklop2.tripod.com/h39.htm
During first few attempts to relieve their garrison in Korenica Italian troops suffered heavy losses, and after partisans captured hospital and cut water supply, HQ of 5.Corps organised relief column on 22.01.1942. of around 1.000 soldiers with artillery and air support. Platoon of tankettes lead the column.

Only 152 Partisans ambushed column in village Rakići on 23.01.1942. and after short combat captured one Fiat L3/33 tankette and driver Celestin Airighi who later decided to stay with partisans.
The next day, under command of major Giufriddo Italians attacked again, but were driven back, losing aditional tankette.

Partisans used tankettes during attack on Prijeboj, 27.04.1942. Ustaša garrisson was suprised(oxes were used to transport tankette near Prijeboj, and when Ustaše first saw it, they belived that is Italian, also no AT defences were organised) and quickly routed.
Next day tankettes were used against Plitvice garrisson(60 Ustaša and HG soldiers), during the fighting one rammed doors of hotel where enemy was blocked.
During the attack on Udbina one tankette was heavy damaged, but later was repaired.
Tankettes were also used for AT training.

2.Lika brigade captured one and destroyed two tankettes near Poloj, september 1942.
Tank platoon was used against enemy in Tušilović and Cetingrad.
End 1942. tank platoon left Lika Group of Partisan Detacments and entered 1.Corps NOVH and was put under direct Corps command and attached to brigades at need.
When Axis offensive started in january 1943. tankettes were without fuel, so instead to destroy them, partisans masked them temporaly into stone wall.

During offensive more tanks and tankettes were captured, so on 07.03.1943. tank company of Supreme HQ for NOVH was formed, company had 11 tanks/tankettes and 36 men.
H-39 tank was added to company(during the 7.SS “Prinz Eugen” division attack on positions of 8 .Kordun division near Drenovača, one tank slided from the road, and when Germans retreated, slightly damaged tank remained behind Yugoslav lines).

In april Italians started to retreat from their positions in Lika, and partisans pursued them,on 10.04.1943. partisan infantry and tanks attacked Italian column that retreated from Otočac to Senj, one Italian AB-41 AC ambushed partisan tanks, destroyed two tankettes with crew and damaged H-39.

In following attack on Gospić garrisson one tankette was lost(AT gun), in all during two months of partisan spring offansive tank company had 6 killed and 11 wounded.

During june company got one more Hotchkiss tank(captured near Drvar).

After fall of Italy unit was reorganised into Tank battalion of Supreme HQ for Croatia.
Bat. had 22 tankettes(L3/33 and L3/35), 7 AC, 1 H-39 tank, 2 L6/40 tanks and around 100 soldiers.

Interesting tank battle happened during battle for Generalski Stol near Ogulin, partisan AB-41 was sent to patrol and encountered column of German infantry who obviously thougt that AC is one of their vehicles, but AC suddenly opened fire and drove by, at that moment behind corner appeared 3 German tanks(type Somua and PzKpfw II) Yugoslav AC quickly fired 8 times and retreated without any damage sustained or inflicted.
Also interesting is that one member of crew was Johann Jorgensen, Dane who escaped from German army.

Tankettes took part in attack on Cazin,which was briefly held by units of 7. Banija Division.
Week later tank company took part in unsucessfull attack on German garrisson of Glina, where one tankette was destroyed by 47mm AT gun.

Because of lack of fuel vehicles were buried in the corn field near Velika Kladuša on 01.05.1944.
Begining of june-orders came to activate tanks, partisans discovered that corn was knee high, thus securing completely vehicles from enemy troops.

During the bitter fighting for Bihać in 1945. Tank battalion met 1. Yugoslav tank brigade(Stuart tanks).
Last actions of Tank battalion were in Istra peninsula against German troops.
Last edited by streljko1 on 25 Dec 2006 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

streljko1

Post by streljko1 » 25 Dec 2006 22:38

Non-yugoslavs in partisan tank units-right Russian Vladimir Komarav, left Dane Johann Jorgensen:

Partisan AC:

To fight bunkers partisans developed this “tank” ,it had crew of 4, and was drawn by horses to the battlefield, than crew should move vehicle on foot toward enemy positions, it is not clear was it used in real combat, picture was taken after the war:

Victor

Post by Victor » 26 Dec 2006 08:40

streljko1, please don't forget to mention the source of the images. Thank you.

streljko1

Post by streljko1 » 26 Dec 2006 10:15

Befehl227

Post by Befehl227 » 30 Dec 2006 06:24

Murdered civilians in Yugoslavia

[Private collection]

pavle

Post by pavle » 30 Dec 2006 14:58

Horthy which bulgarian division is this ? if it's the 15th or 17th fighting in Macedonia?

15.JG.52_Vukodlak

Post by 15.JG.52_Vukodlak » 01 Jan 2007 21:00

streljko1 wrote:Here`s one picture from Rijeka(at that time Fiume) Yugoslavia&exodus, what is that vehicle, are these Yugoslav or Italian troops, please help:
Yugoslav and Italian officers,Rijeka,Sušak,06.04.1941.(For Gaius)
Picture from Rijeka with this text-"Fiume, 4 maggio 1945. Prigionieri italiani lungo il vecchio confine italo-jugoslavo (Fiume - Sussak). Molti di loro verranno infoibati a Costrena" can anbody translate this(italian prisoners walk near old It-Yu border...)?
Before they abandoned Rijeka,germans destroyed shipyard:
All images are from: http://www.fiume-rijeka.it
Prva fotka Izgleda kao americki Stewart vjerojatno M5A1 varijante koje su partizani koristili...tenkovi tog tipa su dobijeni kroz lend lease program. Trupe su vjerojatno Partizani i zarobljeni Talijani...to predpostavljam zbog teksta na talijanskom koji govori o Foibama (prirodnim spiljama-jamama koje su koristene kao masovne grobnice sa strane Talijana i Partiznana). Tekst kaze: "Talijanski zarobljenici na staroj talijansko-jugoslavenskoj granici kod Rijeke-Susak. Mnogi od kojih ce kasnije biti baceni u jamu kod Kostrene".

The first photo looks like an american Stewart possibly M5A1 which partisans did recieve thru the lend liese program. The troops are probably Partisans and captured Italians...I assume this because of the text which speaks of the Foiba (a natural type of cave-pit that were used as mass graves by both Italians and Partisans). The text says: "These are the captured Italians on the old Italian-Yugoslav border at Fiume-Sussak. Most of which will later be thrown into a pit at Costrena.

streljko1

Post by streljko1 » 01 Jan 2007 22:31

Thanks, 15.JG.52_Vukodlak, actually I came to same conclusion, but I forgot to post it.
Anyway, here is one small correction: in my post in this thread, page 10, post dated 17 Jun 2005 14:00, there is picture named "Group of croat or german prisoners(legionares?),may, 1945" taken from http://www.hdpz.htnet.hr/ , actually, according many Yugoslav books(I guess from which this photo was taken) these are captured germans , 264 ID, near Knin end 1944.
Jure

Horthy68_57

Post by Horthy68_57 » 01 Jan 2007 23:11

pavle wrote:Horthy which bulgarian division is this ? if it's the 15th or 17th fighting in Macedonia?
I think it might be both. And some of the pics might be from '44 when the Bulgarians decar on the Germans.

Befehl227

Post by Befehl227 » 03 Jan 2007 08:44

Kumanovo,April 1941

Yugolsav troops march into captivity

[Private collection]

GH

Post by GH » 14 Jan 2007 00:42

rommel_gaj wrote:; Column of 6. East Bosnian Brigade,Vrbnicke Kolibe,11.June 1943.
The man in the middle is Ferdo Diklan, native of St. Filip i Jakov near Zadar. He was in the 9th Dalmatian division during Neretva offensive, and suffered from typhoid during Sutjeska. The 6. East Bosnian Brigade wasn't his unit, he probably got mixed up with them during the march trough the woods. His identity was quite a mystery after the war, since other partisans from the picture didn't know who he really was. It was only discovered in 1977, when weekly magazine Arena published that picture and started searching for him.
He survived the war, and later even got a job as a driver for the CK KPH.

HPP

Boško Buha

Post by HPP » 21 Jan 2007 23:51

I was reading a book "Josip Broz Tito - Monografija" and look what I found ... A small picture of a war hero Bosko Buha - he's the first from the right ... I wrote a small article about him on this link http://povijest.net/content/view/279/55/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Edge

Post by The Edge » 23 Jan 2007 14:53

Horthy68_57 wrote:Bulgarian troops:

What gun is this?
1st photo - German K98 rifles, one with granade launcher
2nd photo - German MG-34 in front, Maxim 09 at back
3rd photo - Czech ZK-383 SMG (Bulgarian Army standard)
4th photo - Madsen LMG left, PPSh SMG right
5th photo - British Sten Mk.II SMG
6th photo - German MP-40 SMG
7th photo - British Bren Mk.II LMG

(I'm amased with so many British weapons used by Bulgarians 8O )

THECLASH

Post by THECLASH » 27 Jan 2007 21:27

Wonderful! These are some great photos - I'm hoping to try to study abroad next year in Slovenia - hopefully I'll be able to meet some Yugoslav Partisan veterans! How many Americans were in Yugoslavia during WWII (shot down pilots, for special operations with the Yugoslavs)?

http://www.geocities.com/roav1945

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”