Fallschirm regiments in Tunisia

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
antoniop

Fallschirm regiments in Tunisia

Post by antoniop » 06 Mar 2006, 10:44

I would like to know if the Fallschirmjaeger Regiment 5. and the Fallschirmjaeger Regiment Barenthin are the same unit or not.

I would like to know also which were the strength and units that formed Ramcke brigade while in Tunisia.

Best Regards

Antonio

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 06 Mar 2006, 12:42

The Barenthin Regiment was a newly-raised regiment which was sent to Tunisia in 1943. It was raised from staff and pupils of the Luftwaffe parachute schools. It had no direct relation to the 5th FJ Regiment. In Alexander's assessment the Barenthin Regiment was 'perhaps the best German troops in Africa' (pdf link)

However, a Storm Regiment Koch served alongside Regiment Barenthin in Tunisia. This regiment was originally formed as Fallschirmjägerregiment 5.

According to Feldgrau the Ramcke Parachute Brigade originally had four battalions named after their commanders: Kroh, Hübner, Burkhardt, and von der Heyte. Battaillon Hübner was formed from the 2nd battalion FJ Regiment 5. Although the Ramcke Brigade escaped destruction at Alamein there was not much left of the unit by the time it reached Tunisia.

antoniop

Post by antoniop » 06 Mar 2006, 14:14

Thanks a lot.

I believe that Fallschirmjaeger regiment Barenthin was part of von Broich/Manteuffel Division and had 3 battalions.

The Fallschirmjaeger regiment 5. had only I and III (II batt was part of ramcke brigade) and during Tunisian campaign was transferred to Hermann Göring division and renamed Jäger regiment HG.

In some orders of battle I've seen a Sturm Regiment Koch or H.G. as part of Panzer Division 10. I suppose that it would be only a temporary attachement and that this regiment is the same Fallschirmjaeger regiment 5.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 06 Mar 2006, 14:55

As regards Ramcke's brigade:

Kampfgruppe Kroh--I/FJR 2
Kampfgruppe von der Heydte--I/FJR 3
Kampfgruppe Hübner--II/FJR 5
Kampfgruppe Burckhardt--Fallsch Lehr-Bataillion

Burckhardt's Lehr-Bataillion had previously served in Libya,January-March 1942,then redeployed back to Germany.

My understanding is that the remnants of FJR 5 were merged into the existing Jäger regiment HG.

Ramcke's survivors from Egypt could only muster one company equivalent,Fallsch Komp Sauer.

Fallschirmjäger

BEST TROOPS IN TUNISIA

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 10 Mar 2006, 02:08

I think the fallschirmjäger units where the best troops fighting in tunisia,just my biased opinion,and the 5th regt being the main force besides the ramcke brigade remanents,the barenthin regt and any other fallschirmjäger units there. 8-)

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 10 Mar 2006, 02:44

According to this from WAF,re the Barenthin Regiment :

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... php?t=9124
The "Luftwaffen-Jägerregiment" (the official name) arrived in Tunisia, in the area of Mateur in November 1942. CO was Oberst Walter Barenthin. It was composed of personnel from parachute jump schools, the "kraftfahrschule Helmstedt" (Driving School Helmstedt), the Segelflieger-Ergänzgruppe Posen" (Glider Pilot Replacement Group Posen) and one parachute antiaircraft machine gun battalion.....

In the order of battle of Division von Manteuffel dated March 18th 1.943 appears an unit designated Fallschirmjäger Regiment (mot) "Barenthin" and also is named in the previous designation of that unit in January 30, 1.943 as part as the then designated Division von Broich and formed by three bataillons, I and II, Infantry and the III Panzerjäger, but on March all three were Inafantry. Acording to my source during the time from February 26 till March 15, 1.943 this division was split in three groups, one of them formed by Regiment "Barenthin", the other "Gruppe Witzig" and the third an Italian unit.

Previous discussions here as well:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=4267

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=75148

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”