SANTA MARIA 1943

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
TALITHA

SANTA MARIA 1943

Post by TALITHA » 03 Apr 2006 15:51

Hi all, Im trying to find out a little about Santa Maria.Which axis units were there on 09 Feb 1943. Ive got a photo of my wifes Grandfather whom sent the picture from there.He is dressed in tropical luftwaffe uniform. The problem is there is a Santa Maria on the Gustav line/Italy and in Sicily, I believe he could of belonged to Goerings Panzer Division,but the fact that he was there in Feb doesnt quite add up because records say they arrived in May.Anyone know for sure if they were at either of these locations on 09 Feb 1943.I dont seem to find confirmation of either.Your help would be grateful.

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 03 Apr 2006 17:23

My guess would be Santa Maria, Sicily. The majority of the Herman Goering division fought in Tunisia during Feb '43, where it was destroyed. It was then rebuilt in May as the Herman Goering Panzer division. It could be that Santa Maria, Sicily was the HQ or transhipment point for HG soldiers heading into Tunisia, but that is just a guess on my part.

Is there anyway you could scan and post the pic here? Even the most minute detail can tell a lot about the subject, and the guys here are good at finding those out.

TALITHA

Post by TALITHA » 03 Apr 2006 18:52

Thanks for your reply. This is the only photo or relevance we have to my wifes grandfather,maybe you can see something os significance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 03 Apr 2006 19:37

Do you have any other information that would lead you to believe he was in the HG division? There was another Luftwaffe formation that fought in Tunisia - the Barenthin regiment.

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 03 Apr 2006 19:44

Kingfish wrote:There was another Luftwaffe formation that fought in Tunisia - the Barenthin regiment.
But do we know that he actually got to Tunisia?

TALITHA, did this man survive the war? If not, do you know where he was killed?

Michael

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 03 Apr 2006 23:20

Michael Emrys wrote:
Kingfish wrote:There was another Luftwaffe formation that fought in Tunisia - the Barenthin regiment.
But do we know that he actually got to Tunisia?
Not suggesting he did, just that he may have been assigned to one of those units, or even possibly with Luftwaffenwaffen-Jäger-Brigade 1.

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 04 Apr 2006 19:29

Or...he might not have been in one of the ground fighting units at all.

:D

Michael

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”