The Sinking of the ex-US Battleship at Salamis

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Davide Pastore

Post by Davide Pastore » 27 Dec 2005 18:41

Windward wrote: Portugal
The inclusion of Portugal is debatable, since its only "coast defence ship" (Vasco de Gama) was little more than a gunboat (less than 3,000t). Even the Scandinavian coastal battleships were giants against her.

Finland also had a couple of similar ships, though only in the 1930s.

Technically, also Ukraine should be listed, since Volya (former Imperator Aleksandr III) and half a dozen of older pre-dreadnoughts flew briefly its flag in 1918.

Davide

Windward
Financial supporter

Post by Windward » 28 Dec 2005 10:23

Davide Pastore wrote:
Windward wrote: Portugal
The inclusion of Portugal is debatable, since its only "coast defence ship" (Vasco de Gama) was little more than a gunboat (less than 3,000t). Even the Scandinavian coastal battleships were giants against her.

Finland also had a couple of similar ships, though only in the 1930s.

Technically, also Ukraine should be listed, since Volya (former Imperator Aleksandr III) and half a dozen of older pre-dreadnoughts flew briefly its flag in 1918.

Davide
But "JANE'S FIGHTING SHIPS OF WORLD WAR I" listed Vasco da Gama as "old battleship" :oops:

Davide Pastore

Post by Davide Pastore » 28 Dec 2005 11:40

Windward wrote:But "JANE'S FIGHTING SHIPS OF WORLD WAR I" listed Vasco da Gama as "old battleship" :oops:
Well, I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder :wink:
The biggest Peruvian ship, the small light cruisers of Almirante Grau class, were bigger than her. Actually she was about the same size as the biggest Polish warship (the big destroyers of Grom class).

Davide

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”