Cold War; Stalin's Funeral

Post by South » 05 Mar 2018, 18:17

wm

Re: Cold War; Stalin's Funeral

Post by wm » 06 Mar 2018, 04:15

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 06 Mar 2018, 12:45

I can't see that picture without thinking about this.

wm

Post by wm » 06 Mar 2018, 21:45

A comedy of terrors. Mandatory watching for everyone.
DJMAOQxW0AQDnJX.jpg-large. jpeg
Attachments
DJMAOQxW0AQDnJX.jpg-large.jpeg

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Cold War - Joseph Stalin's Funeral.

Post by Robert Rojas » 25 May 2018, 05:18

Greetings to both brother south and the community as a whole. Howdy Bob! Well sir, in light of your media related introductory posting of Monday - March 05, 2018 - 8:17am, old yours truly was astounded over the quality and clarity of Major Martin Manhoff's quite striking cinematography of Koba The Terrible's funeral cortege. Given the commercial realities of year 1953, I was not all that aware that the technology for handheld filming had progressed as far as it had. Now, I do not know where the good major acquired his motion picture film, but it was clearly above and beyond any of the commercial grade product one would see in the private home movies of Joe and Jane Six Pack in the decade of the 1950's. One must give pause and wonder if Major Martin Manhoff was really doing any of this upon his own volition. On an incidental note, I was also mildly surprised to observe the relatively modest State Funeral that was bestowed upon the ever omnipotent General Secretary. Given the long shadow that this Georgian once cast, some comradely bystanders might naturally assume that the pomp and circumstance of his celestial send off would have been worthy of the Tsars of old. With that said, the events surrounding October 31, 1961 are still eight years into the future. So much for resting in peace. Well, that's my initial two cents or kopecks worth on this Byzantine topic of interest - for now anyway. In any case, I would like to bid you a copacetic day over in the OLD DOMINION that is the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Cold War - Joseph Stalin's Funeral.

Post by Robert Rojas » 25 May 2018, 06:55

Greetings to both citizen 'wm' and the community as a whole. Howdy 'wm'! Well sir, in light of your cinematic "directive" of Tuesday - March 06, 2018 - 11:45am, old yours truly is more than a wee bit curious over your motive OR motives for suggesting that the celluloid epic entitled as THE DEATH OF STALIN ought to be mandatory watching for everyone. Apart from its sheer entertainment value, would there be some sort of unique idea or concept within this film that might make it worth the while for everyone to collectively share in it? Incidentally, I have seen THE DEATH OF STALIN and I can assure you that I found very little to laugh at within this so-called "comedy of terrors". On the other hand, maybe there is something lacking within my Yankee sense of humor to fully appreciate the off beat humor of the film's creators. Is it possible that I've missed something here? Thank you in advance for entertaining my pointed inquiries. Well, that's my latest two cents or kopecks worth into the surreal - for now anyway. In any case, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day over in the ever enduring land of Poland - the land that gave a fledgling United States of America two of her great sons - Tadeusz Kosciuzko and Casimer Pulaski!

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

South

Post by South » 27 May 2018, 16:38

Good morning Uncle Bob,

The modest funeral for General Secretary Stalin probably because the new First Secretary Khrushchev was busy writing the first-draft of a speech for the 1956 Party Congress. The secret speech provided constructive criticism of Tavarish Stalin. It wasn't that far away from 1953, especially when the palace coup'd s required ducking Police Chief Beria's tanks, cannons and aircraft.....not to forget the patrol officers.

In those days it took more than a resume and campaign contributions to get the good jobs.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “Other eras”