Egyptian 3rd Army

Discussions on other historical eras.
Spearfish

Egyptian 3rd Army

Post by Spearfish » 13 Jun 2021, 12:57

Can anyone provide me with information about the Egyptian 3rd Army from 1967 onwards?
I would like to know when it was activated (I believe 1969). I know that two commanders were General Mohammed Fahaiq Bourini and General Mohammed abd-el Moneim Wassel but I would like to know when they were appointed and whether or not there were any other commanders

Tinhat

Re: Egyptian 3rd Army

Post by Tinhat » 03 Aug 2021, 20:50

This is what I could find, I’m sure you know that phonetic name translations, non-standard indexing and the lack of Egyptian openness in this regard make it a challenge.

Third army was established in Nov 1968, this was a recommendation of the Soviets because they considered the area too large for the Second Army alone – slightly ironic that this structure created the point for Israel to exploit and cross the canal.
I found a refence that the Soviets were not impressed with initial exercise under the command of General Hassan. (I couldn’t find anything more than this and not sure if this is the same General Abdel Kader Hassan who later became Egypt’s Deputy Defense Minister). It doesn’t look like he was in position long.

General Mohammed Fahaiq Bourini, I have a reference that he was already in command in April 1970

In October 1972, General Sadek, Armed Forces Commander in chief was dismissed along with “two Generals and an Admiral” for reluctance to go to war, no direct mention but would make sense that Bourini was one of these as Wassel was in place by the start of the war.

Ahmed Badawi Sayyid Ahmed was commander of the encircled divisions of the Third Army after the cease fire until it returned to the west bank of the Suez.

Wassel was relieved of his command in 1975 (the same time as Mohammed Sa'ad Ma'moun of the Second Army) for failings during the war.

I can’t find anything from 1975 onwards until:

Sedki Sobhi Commander of the Third Field Army (August 2009-August 2012)
Osama Askar Commander of the Third Field Army (August 2012-January 2015)
Muhammad Abdellah Commander of the Third Field Army (January 2015 to present)

Steve.

Spearfish

Post by Spearfish » 04 Aug 2021, 10:26

Steve
Once again many thanks for plugging a gap for a second time.
Can you make it three with details of British pumps used against the Bar-Lev Line(LoL)?
Spearfish

Tinhat

Post by Tinhat » 04 Aug 2021, 16:43

The pump question is a tough one, I did start looking but didn't come up with anything, might have to come at it from a different direction, there would have been a limited companies able to ship 300 industrial pumps as relatively short notice.

Spearfish

Post by Spearfish » 04 Aug 2021, 17:34

Steve
Many thanks for trying.
You are a star.

Return to “Other eras”