Guerrillero Heroico (Che Guevara) Photo 1960

Discussions on other historical eras.
Hans1906
Banned

Guerrillero Heroico (Che Guevara) Photo 1960

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Jan 2022, 18:13

On the search for the german term "Baskenmütze", I found this in the german/english Wikipedia the other day:
Emphasizing the image's ubiquitous nature and wide appeal, the Maryland Institute College of Art called the picture a symbol of the 20th century and the world's most famous photograph.[6] Versions of it have been painted, printed, digitized, embroidered, tattooed, silk-screened, sculpted or sketched on nearly every surface imaginable, leading the Victoria and Albert Museum to say that the photograph has been reproduced more than any other image in photography.[7] Jonathan Green, director of the UCR/California Museum of Photography, has speculated that...
Source (E) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrillero_Heroico
Source (G) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrillero_Heroico

Baskenmütze (G) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baskenmütze

Any comments on this photo, please share, thank you very much...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Guerrillero Heroico (Che Guevara) Photo 1960

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Jan 2022, 18:30

Recommended movie about "Che" is the 2008 production "Che – Revolución", starring Benicio del Toro as Ernesto Che Guevara.

Link: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_–_Revolución

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

wm

Post by wm » 18 Jan 2022, 18:31

What can you say, he is a good communist now.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Jan 2022, 18:56

wm,

my question relates to the "iconic" photo from the year 1960, taken by Alberto Korda in Havana, Cuba.

I remember our schoolmate Peter D., wearing this photo on a red thirt already in the early 1970s.
This shirt caused a lot of trouble back then, they wanted to kick him out of the local "Gymnasium" (secondary school),
just for wearing this shirt.

Hans
Last edited by Hans1906 on 18 Jan 2022, 19:13, edited 2 times in total.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 18 Jan 2022, 19:01

I can’t disagree in it being “a symbol of the 20th century and the world's most famous photograph” of a person.
Try an image search with just “che” and you’ll see nearly every second image is some sort of version of the above photo. I can show my children (18, 22 and 25 years of age) a picture of Himmler, Goebbels or other top nazis and they would go “dooooh… no idea..???”.
Show them the famous b/w graphics of Che and they know it’s him! Not sure they know who/what he was etc. but they sure know it’s Che.

Waleed

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Jan 2022, 23:25

Thanks Waleed,

I remember a former workmate from Cuba, we were working together at the "Bauhauswerkstätten" here in Wiesbaden.

A very nice cuban man, who came to Germany already in the era of the former GDR.
We talked a lot about the revolution, and the later years, a lot.
He took care about his family, sending money from his german benefits every month to Cuba, and he
was married to a german wife.

Talking about "Che", he always refused another answer, because he was in the need, to return to his homeland one day...

The man from Cuba always smiled, he was very homesick, like all of us...

Hans

Return to “Other eras”