The end of tanks as we know it?

Discussions on other historical eras.
Cult Icon

Re: The end of tanks as we know it?

Post by Cult Icon » 21 Jun 2022 14:06

lartiste wrote:
19 Jun 2022 23:28

I disagree with your point. The basic argument is, that until now, we have not seen proper use of tanks on Russian side. They are trying to use the tanks, but they are far from rational use of tanks. At first I would like to point out the lack of any kind of security of tank units.

Example:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1518889360581697538

As you can see, usual russian modus operandi, all guns straight forward, no one is covering flanks, no drone or helicopter. I have seen hundreds of such videos and photos, when attacked from flanks, it is turkey shooting. Just compare it with this photo from Vietnam:

f32.jpeg

Tanks, even massed might be used, but first of all they need proper recon tools (drones, even equipped with thermovision), cover tools - helicopters or planes of close support, infantry and must be deployed reasonably and properly. We will see whether UA army will be able to perform any better in offensives.

My point is tank is still great tool, but need to be used properly with necessary support.
Don't agree with your entire post, I think you have the wrong impressions of what is going on.

I will no longer post about the Ukraine war. Since discussion of the Ukraine war is banned on this forum my PM box is open.

lartiste

Post by lartiste » 21 Jun 2022 20:43

ljadw wrote:
20 Jun 2022 18:44
And when these recon tools are not available ?
Don't forget that Russia attacked with a tiny manpower and as substitution, they used a lot of fire power .
My point was more general concerning use of tanks in wars of 21st century.

The Russians have different strategy, they tried to use tanks, but failed due to lack of recon tools, infantry and knowledge how to operate tanks formations. Now they came back to what is their army ready for and are slowly destroying everything with artillery and tanks are deployed only to support slow move of infantry to positions destroyed by artillery.

I am still shocked, how poorly they were operating tank formations. I read even opinions, that basic problem was lack of crew and that the tanks were operated only by 2 man crew instead 3.

Otherwise I am not aware whether UA army is any better, because roots of education of officers are at the end of the day same.

lartiste

Post by lartiste » 21 Jun 2022 20:46

Indeed interesting topic on possibly 2 man crew:

https://twitter.com/The_Tech_Son/status ... 3384527877

Return to “Other eras”