news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Discussions on other historical eras.
Tom Peters
Financial supporter
Posts: 987
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 25 Jan 2023 03:16

Cult Icon wrote:
24 Jan 2023 19:08
Wagner on their progress. The 'finger' pointing at the Southwestern supply routes reminds me of previous Russian offensives.
What ? Very slow, generating huge amounts of RU casualties and equipment losses, with multiple RU generals being cashiered, and 50% likely to lose it back to the UKR when they attack ?

I guess we agree.

Mad Dog

Michael Kenny
Member
Posts: 7557
Joined: 07 May 2002 19:40
Location: Teesside

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Michael Kenny » 25 Jan 2023 03:46

Tom Peters wrote:
25 Jan 2023 03:14


The west is most of the economy. Thats what counts.

Only to 'the west' Unfortunately other parts of the world (there is indeed more to the world than the west) do not have that mindset.
For instance look at the line Israel has to walk in pursuit of its OWN national interests.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/na ... e-00077408

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 3602
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Cult Icon » 25 Jan 2023 05:11

Some boomers here are stuck in 1970 :lol:

Image

ljadw
Member
Posts: 13816
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 17:50

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by ljadw » 25 Jan 2023 10:11

Tom Peters wrote:
25 Jan 2023 03:14
Cult Icon wrote:
24 Jan 2023 18:49
EU and the 'West' is hardly "the world". More like 11% of the world population.
The west is most of the economy. Thats what counts.

Mad Dog
The West WAS most of the economy .You live in the past .
Alibaba is as big (at least ) as Amazon .
China owns 13 % of the US debt ,maybe the liberals who are whining because China oppress its Muslims ,should not forget this .
What part of the Chinese debt is owned by the US ?

Gooner1
Member
Posts: 2310
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 12:24
Location: London

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Gooner1 » 25 Jan 2023 12:12

ljadw wrote:
25 Jan 2023 10:11
The West WAS most of the economy .You live in the past .
Graphics disabled on your computer or something?

ljadw
Member
Posts: 13816
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 17:50

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by ljadw » 25 Jan 2023 13:36

Gooner1 wrote:
25 Jan 2023 12:12
ljadw wrote:
25 Jan 2023 10:11
The West WAS most of the economy .You live in the past .
Graphics disabled on your computer or something?
Global economy is 104 trillion, West is less than 52 trillion .
Thus .......

Gooner1
Member
Posts: 2310
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 12:24
Location: London

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Gooner1 » 25 Jan 2023 14:18

ljadw wrote:
25 Jan 2023 13:36
Global economy is 104 trillion, West is less than 52 trillion .
Thus .......
Your definition of the 'West' is probably wrong. :D

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 3602
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Cult Icon » 25 Jan 2023 14:30

Russian marines are attacking Ugledar again, frontally after outflanking attacks yesterday. The whole fortified zone here should be outflanked in a major offensive operation.

While 60 odd Ukrainian infantry battalions are tied down at Bakhmut-Soledar, it would have been profitable for Russia to commit major forces to outflanking the defense in depth of the entire southern Donbass. It remains to be seen how much 'juice' is left in Wagner.

Perhaps in the coming days they will commit significant forces to outflanking Ugledar. The fall of the region is the key to outflanking Southern Donbass and ending the glacial frontal attacks against the fortified zones.

In the 2023 campaign it makes more strategic sense if Russia focuses on seizing Z-Oblast/Southern Donbass first, then roll up the flanks from the south. In the North, they should focus on re-capturing Lyman, taking Siversk. Only until the Southern offensive culminates should they engage the remainder of central Donbass frontally.

ljadw
Member
Posts: 13816
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 17:50

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by ljadw » 25 Jan 2023 16:21

Gooner1 wrote:
25 Jan 2023 14:18
ljadw wrote:
25 Jan 2023 13:36
Global economy is 104 trillion, West is less than 52 trillion .
Thus .......
Your definition of the 'West' is probably wrong. :D
Outside Europe the West is
US
Canada
Australia
NZ Land
SA is not the West
Mexico is not the West
Turkey is not the West

Gooner1
Member
Posts: 2310
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 12:24
Location: London

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Gooner1 » 25 Jan 2023 17:16

ljadw wrote:
25 Jan 2023 16:21
Outside Europe the West is
US
Canada
Australia
NZ Land
SA is not the West
Mexico is not the West
Turkey is not the West
Image

Though most of Latin America is generally considered Western too.

User avatar
Aida1
Member
Posts: 2697
Joined: 04 Aug 2019 08:46
Location: Brussels

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Aida1 » 25 Jan 2023 17:31

Cult Icon wrote:
25 Jan 2023 14:30
Russian marines are attacking Ugledar again, frontally after outflanking attacks yesterday. The whole fortified zone here should be outflanked in a major offensive operation.

While 60 odd Ukrainian infantry battalions are tied down at Bakhmut-Soledar, it would have been profitable for Russia to commit major forces to outflanking the defense in depth of the entire southern Donbass. It remains to be seen how much 'juice' is left in Wagner.

Perhaps in the coming days they will commit significant forces to outflanking Ugledar. The fall of the region is the key to outflanking Southern Donbass and ending the glacial frontal attacks against the fortified zones.

In the 2023 campaign it makes more strategic sense if Russia focuses on seizing Z-Oblast/Southern Donbass first, then roll up the flanks from the south. In the North, they should focus on re-capturing Lyman, taking Siversk. Only until the Southern offensive culminates should they engage the remainder of central Donbass frontally.
Wishfull thinking of an imagined russian armchairgeneral. :lol: :lol:

Tom Peters
Financial supporter
Posts: 987
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 25 Jan 2023 23:07

ljadw wrote:
25 Jan 2023 10:11

Alibaba is as big (at least ) as Amazon .
China owns 13 % of the US debt ,maybe the liberals who are whining because China oppress its Muslims ,should not forget this .
What part of the Chinese debt is owned by the US ?
Thanks for making one of my points for me. The US and China is inter-dependent. if China has to choose, it will choose the US over RU any day of the way, no doubts.

Mad Dog

Tom Peters
Financial supporter
Posts: 987
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 25 Jan 2023 23:09

Cult Icon wrote:
25 Jan 2023 14:30

In the 2023 campaign it makes more strategic sense ......
...if RU fucked off back to RU. Oh well, cold war 2.0, here we come ! At least this time the economic mis-match is so extreme, we can look forward to the RU economy going into the toilet faster than a bad curry.

Mad Dog

Tom Peters
Financial supporter
Posts: 987
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 25 Jan 2023 23:11

ljadw wrote:
25 Jan 2023 16:21
Gooner1 wrote:
25 Jan 2023 14:18
ljadw wrote:
25 Jan 2023 13:36
Global economy is 104 trillion, West is less than 52 trillion .
Thus .......
Your definition of the 'West' is probably wrong. :D
Outside Europe the West is
US
Canada
Australia
NZ Land
SA is not the West
Mexico is not the West
Turkey is not the West
Japan ? South Korea ? Not NATO, but definitely allied.

Mad Dog

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 3602
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Cult Icon » 25 Jan 2023 23:56

We have some 'experts' in Russian geopolitics here, who don't read anything in Russian and only recite propaganda journalism :lol:

Return to “Other eras”