Reenactment Groups??????

Discussions on other historical eras.
DJMOON17

Reenacting

Post by DJMOON17 » 14 Jun 2006, 00:44

Well I am just as happy the NVA never fought. My grandfather served with the 4th Armor Division, Headquarters branch in Germany from 1958 to 1960. He has never really spoke about the Soviets or the Germans, but he did tell me other incredible storries (Like having his APC swept down a river in the middle of a training excerise on a German River) and such.

I was just throwing the reenacting out there. I don't glorifiy warfare at all. My main concern is to establish a NVA Living History unit. I what I really want is for this to be it to be more of a club, a place where NVA and DDR collectors and such can meet and discuss and show off their collections. Then we can go to some airshows and other large, military-orientated events and showcase our unit of choice and educate the public of the signicance of East Germany in the world we live in.

As for "What if" scenarios, I see no problem. But they would come much later, after we have stablished ourselves. We won't be glorifying warfare or anything, just a historical portrayal of what might have happened. One could even argue that it maybe a deterrent. I mean imagine it the Cold War did turn hot? At the least we'd have millions dead, and that's without the use of tactical and stragetic nukes. Without a doubt all of Germany would have been destroyed and judging by the amount firepower on both sides, it would have been a very costly and evenly matched campagian.

As for dress. It depends on what rank. I don't have any dress uniforms, just Field, Service and mainly walking-out. However once I get this unit started, I'll buy the nessecary articles to make one of my walking out uniforms a dress one.

soldat_m56

Post by soldat_m56 » 14 Jun 2006, 02:11

iannima,
I would probably most likely do a soldier - motorisiert Schützen or Grenztruppen. Finding Wachregiment tunics is difficult as most army tunics already have a different cuff title on them. Did the Grenztruppen wear the helmets as well? As I am still a teenager, I would probably too young to be an officer.

iannima

Post by iannima » 14 Jun 2006, 08:39

Oh why am I not still a teenager?? :cry: :cry: I want to be a teenager again :)
Seriously though. These photographs are taken from Bob Gowen's website. My guess is that this is the cheapest order of dress you can put together:
for parade you should wear the helmet and not the hat. Points to note: the black leather belt is worn between the last two buttons of the tunic and the buckle is aligned with the edge of the buttoned side. You can add many things like badges or shooting chords. Only the Grenztruppen and the (three) Wachregiment had cuff titles.

iannima

Post by iannima » 14 Jun 2006, 08:41

For the Strichtarn field dress here is a basic references for where things go. Most of this stuff is readily available in surplus shops and costs very little.
Last edited by iannima on 14 Jun 2006, 21:06, edited 2 times in total.

iannima

Post by iannima » 14 Jun 2006, 08:44

And given that i am a notorious show off :) here is me wearing the full lot :)
The binoculars are the truly expensive piece of equipment and they would have been carried by the Grenztruppen

iannima

Post by iannima » 14 Jun 2006, 08:56

But given that you are young, tall and slim, why not be a touch more glamorous...? The girls will love you! :)
reproducing this order of dress should not that expensive either as you can always sow a cuff title onto an officer tunic. And these are probably the commonest of all tunics. I picked one up for as little as £2
Then you can impress everybody doing this:
You will not go unnoticed... I can guarantee that :)
But I feel like I am corrupting a teenager towards my all consuming passion of the Wachregiment 8O :o :) :roll:

panzerIV

Post by panzerIV » 14 Jun 2006, 13:39

iannima wrote: Then you can impress everybody doing this:
I can do that. :wink:

Ingsoc75

Post by Ingsoc75 » 14 Jun 2006, 14:30

If any of your looked through the NVA thread in the reenactment area you can see a photo of myself and I in a "what if" shot ;)

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 9&start=15

My interest in the subject is from a photography/visual effect aspect. I take photos (in the case of the above photo I had to take photos of just myself) and then I go into Photoshop/Shake and manipulate-composite the images together.

My goal is to create an arsenal of "virtual weapons" (all created in 3D) and then put them together.

For example: I can 3D model an RPG-2 or a BMP and then put it into the photos I took of somebody posing like they were holding one/riding on one.

I am interested in getting others together to achieve this because it is going to look fake if all the faces are just me ;)

Does this make sense?

iannima

Post by iannima » 14 Jun 2006, 14:32

panzerIV wrote: I can do that. :wink:
I bet you can!! :) from the last photograph I have seen of you I would say that you cannot be that much older than 16 if that!! (i'm very envious of all these youngsters...)
But the true challenge is still to be able to do it at my age, and sadly I shall turn 38 next week :cry: But I can still goose step :)
One serious point amidst this banter.
The example I have posted is one of the "Extreme Paradeschritt". It is unclear whether it was imported in the DDR from Soviet Russia where it is still practised by the guards at the Kremlin, or whether it had a longer tradition. Because of its slow pace it does not match any of the tempos of traditional Prussian and German marches, and therefore one is tempted to conclude that it is a Soviet import in the DDR but was unknown before then. Here are the Russian guards practising for the victory celebrations last year:
The "normal" Exerzierschritt is instead this one, which is a rather fast step. Regulations indicate that it should be between 114 and 120 steps per minute and that the foot should be at most 30 cm (=1 foot ca.) above ground.
This is not difficult to do (as I keep repeating to my friends... :x ) but it will still be tiring.

soldat_m56

Post by soldat_m56 » 14 Jun 2006, 17:43

Great photos iannima! Very helpful.

btw what is that strange-looking grey undershirt that is worn with field dress. I have seen it in photos of NVA in the field as well as your pic.

iannima

Post by iannima » 14 Jun 2006, 19:30

It is a Kragenbinde. Also used by the Wehrmacht earlier in the war. It is not a shirt but just a double sided strip of cloth, grey on one side and white on the other. It is buttoned onto the collar of either the tunic or the Feldienstanzug (=BDU). the idea is that you would not soil the collar and that you could replace the Kragenbinde more frequently.
I am not an expert on WH uniforms but from what i have read the M36 tunic (the dark collared one) required a Kragenbinde whereas the M40 (or 42? in any case the plain collar one) didn't any more.

panzerIV

Post by panzerIV » 14 Jun 2006, 22:49

iannima wrote:
panzerIV wrote: I can do that. :wink:
I bet you can!! :) from the last photograph I have seen of you I would say that you cannot be that much older than 16 if that!!
Those pics were taken some time ago, I'm 18 now(still a teen though). :wink:

Ingsoc75

Post by Ingsoc75 » 15 Jun 2006, 00:18

iannima

Please tell me you don't walk around the house all the time in your uniform ;)

iannima

Post by iannima » 15 Jun 2006, 07:38

Not "all the time" no... :)

panzerIV

Post by panzerIV » 17 Jun 2006, 12:08

Now it's my time to show off!

Took some pics today, with myself as a Grenztruppen soldier home on leave, sometime during the 80s(hence the glasses)!

With his German Shepheard

Ah, die brillen!(know you will hate this inannima :wink:)

Return to “Other eras”