Reenactment Groups??????

Discussions on other historical eras.
soldat_m56

Post by soldat_m56 » 13 Dec 2006, 05:02

DJMOON,
Well, they come up on ebay occasionally, but go for about $45 or so (better than $90), but German ebay lists two different sizes that do not correspond and conversion charts vary depending on who prints them!

I've had a similar experience with surplus. The most I ever found was a surplus store in Alabama that carried a bunch of East German helmets, ushanka caps, and flags (but nothing else EG).

I just got this reply from Sportsman's Guide:
Dear Nikolas,

Thank you for the E-mail.

I was unable to locate any east german boots at this time. It is possible we could carry them at a later time. You can keep checking in online.

If you have any other questions please contact us.

Enjoy the Outdoors,

Jessica Ibarra
I just won a lot of East German uniform items for $14 (strichtarn jacket, pants, mag pouch, and grey webbed belt with DDR buckle). What a deal!

DJMOON17

Yeah, Sport's man's guide has some good deals

Post by DJMOON17 » 14 Dec 2006, 00:11

I can recall, a few years a go when I first got into collecting purchasing fifty field caps for only twenty bucks. Amazing.

But be forewarned, they do lie. ONe prime example is with their 88mm flak shell. I can remember (and I still have the issues) times when the vintage 88mm flak shell would switch from WWII surplus to East German surplus. They wouldn't even bother to change the picture. They would insert a little east German flag (sometimes even just a modern German flag) and write on of their witty East German puns next to it.

I also can remember purchasing a Czechslovakian shoulder holster, simply because ti was cheap and looked nice. To my delight I discovered it was stamped Mdi, meaning it was East German! Now that worked for my favor, but you never know.

soldat_m56

Post by soldat_m56 » 14 Dec 2006, 01:07

The East German uniform lot I actually got off ebay, and it does not look like Czechoslovakian rain camo.

I will drop in the local surplus store down the street tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath that I will turn up any East German items...

hta1970

Post by hta1970 » 21 Dec 2006, 05:09

In the Maryland area there is the East German living history unit which has been around for 4 years or so.
http://hometown.aol.com/ddrnva/MSR-16.html

We also have plans for a naval living history aboard the Rudolf Egelhofer
http://hometown.aol.com/ddrnva/7RSB.html

Harry

soldat_m56

Post by soldat_m56 » 29 Dec 2006, 21:00

I am working with AHF member hta1970 to start a Gruppe of his unit here in Florida. To try and get the word out, I started a website:
http://www.geocities.com/nvalivinghistory/ddr.html

I also created a Yahoo group for NVA reenacting if anyone is interested:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nationale_volksarmee

Nikolas

soldat_m56

Post by soldat_m56 » 02 Feb 2007, 22:44

After a long hunt, I finally located boots in my size a couple weeks ago. Hessen Antique just received a stock of East German boots in size 10 and 11 for WWII reenactors, so I snatched a pair of size 11 while I could. I also have my service uniform, so other than a few odds and ends, my impression is complete. Starting the group is the hard part!

Nikolas

Slobo

Post by Slobo » 12 Feb 2007, 03:38

Many years ago I picked up two different types of the original, pre-rain pattern NVA camo -- splotch, jigsaw, whatever you want to call it. Can't rememebr what I paid but winder what they would fetch today as I'm focusing on the dress, service and parade uniforms.

iannima

Post by iannima » 13 Feb 2007, 21:19

Slobo wrote:Many years ago I picked up two different types of the original, pre-rain pattern NVA camo -- splotch, jigsaw, whatever you want to call it. Can't rememebr what I paid but winder what they would fetch today as I'm focusing on the dress, service and parade uniforms.
It is called Blumentarn. It all depends on what you have (jacket, trousers or Zeltbahn etc.) and in what conditions and size. But I have seen a set of these being sold on Ebay.de last week. The jacket went well over €100 and the trousers not far off, when I lost interest and stopped watching them. I do not know the final prices. I obviously do not know the American market for these things but if I were you I would put them up for sale on Ebay to finance further purchases of parade and other gear. Depending on conditions (how faded they are), you could make quite a bit.

Slobo

Post by Slobo » 13 Feb 2007, 23:16

Thanks Ian --

I might do that. They're in near mint. One had some patch things sewn to it originally (as designed) for sticking foliage or something and those have been removed (found them in the pocket), but other than that they're basically unissued.

Gotta get out the digital and do some posting.

--Ian

Big Bizo

Re:

Post by Big Bizo » 23 Dec 2008, 10:06

iannima wrote:For the Strichtarn field dress here is a basic references for where things go. Most of this stuff is readily available in surplus shops and costs very little.

Does anyone know where I can find that bag for the chemical suit? I really need one!

Ingsoc75

Re: Reenactment Groups??????

Post by Ingsoc75 » 25 Dec 2008, 20:44

Wow! I forgot all about this thread. 8O

TBC

Re: Re:

Post by TBC » 25 Aug 2009, 21:32

Big Bizo wrote:Does anyone know where I can find that bag for the chemical suit? I really need one!
Long time ago...
But if you are still searching, look here http://nva.4mg.com/

Ingsoc75

Re: Re:

Post by Ingsoc75 » 26 Aug 2009, 16:59

TBC wrote:
Big Bizo wrote:Does anyone know where I can find that bag for the chemical suit? I really need one!
Long time ago...
But if you are still searching, look here http://nva.4mg.com/
Neat site. Too bad you have to spend 100 euros minimum for overseas orders.

jenjr9899

Re: Reenactment Groups??????

Post by jenjr9899 » 24 Aug 2011, 03:52

Is anybody doing living history or any other events yet as NVA? There is a few guys here in NC interested in doing some events.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Moorman

Re:

Post by Moorman » 29 Oct 2018, 03:42

soldat_m56 wrote:
12 Jun 2006, 16:51
Well, really I think I'll try to get scrap together a local East German reenactment group in North Florida. I know a guy who is interested in German military stuff and he has several buddies with the same interest. Also have a few local German friends who might know some others who would be interested. The WWII group I'm in wouldn't be good for recruits because most of the guys live in South Florida and I'm in the northern part of the state (most reenactments are in the central part of Florida). Since most of the guys I'm trying to recruit know at least a little German (including me), this could be interesting if it turns out right.

Living history would be great, especially since a lot of people don't know anything about the NVA. Which unit is it the easiest to find equipment for and portray though? Seems like everyone's doing Motorized Rifles, but how about regular infantry, Fallschirmjäger, or combat polizei?
Hey! I actually am in the North Florida area actually and very interested in this idea of a East German airsoft/blank fire unit indeed! I'd love to discuss more on this with you!

Return to “Other eras”