Wehrmacht soldiers in other wars...

Discussions on other historical eras.
tyskaorden

Post by tyskaorden » 26 Sep 2003, 20:29

The French Foreign Legion in fact has a long tradition with Germanic legionaires. Remember reading that during WW 1 German (and Austrian) legionaires where keept in the units remaining in Morocco fighting the tribes in the Atlas Mountains, and not sent to the trenches on the Western Front. Primarily to keep them from facing their countrymen.

//Tyskaorden alias Marcus Karlsson

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 26 Sep 2003, 20:35

Today there are more people from Central/Eastern Europe (Poland, Slovenia etc.).

David

Locke

Post by Locke » 26 Sep 2003, 21:11

Today there are more people from Central/Eastern Europe (Poland, Slovenia etc.).

David

Are you sure about Slovenia? I m interested, because I havent't heard of any Slovenians who are now in Foreign Legion.

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 26 Sep 2003, 21:32

I am not especially aware of many Slovenians that was an example but yes I saw a TV documentary about the Foreign Legion and one man told he came from Slovenia ...
It is clear that there are many from Eastern/Central Europe nowadays but I have no idea of the proportions of the different origins.

In 1998 there were 138 different nationalities.
42% of the men were francophones (90% of the officers are French)
40% of the men were slavic

David

Locke

Post by Locke » 27 Sep 2003, 11:17

Thank you for your answer. I thought it was an example. I know only about one Slovenian who was in the Foreign Legion and he gave many interviews but he never mentioned that there are more Slovenians in the Legion.

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 27 Sep 2003, 12:51

Panzermeyer wrote:Today there are more people from Central/Eastern Europe (Poland, Slovenia etc.).

David
I heard about 25% of legionists are Poles.
BTW
Neither a small part of Poland nor Slovenia is placed in Eastern Europe. Check it on the map if you don't believe.

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 27 Sep 2003, 13:46

:roll: yeeeeees I know that Poland is in Central Europe and that Slovenia is located in the Balkans ..... I said that today many of the men come from Central and Eastern Europe in general ...... and I just added examples of countries I know that are present in the Foreign Legion ...... There are also Ukrainians, Russians, British, several from Asian countries etc. etc. etc.

Locke

Post by Locke » 28 Sep 2003, 12:16

Sorry, but I have to correct you again :D Slovenia is also in central Europe (or, at least, we would like to be :D )

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 28 Sep 2003, 13:58

I don't expected this thread to shift to a geography thread :lol:
Slovenia was in the former Yugoslavia or am I wrong ? And Yugoslavia is located in the Balkan Peninsula for me ... that's why I located Slovenia in the Balkans. But when taking Slovenia alone I think your are 100% right since Slovenia lies in Central Europe and has borders with Italy, Austria, Croatia and Hungary.
To come back to the Legion ..... today most of the men come from European countries located to the EAST of France ... is that general enough ? :wink:

David

Oberst Mihael

Post by Oberst Mihael » 30 Sep 2003, 21:56

Slovenia is in Central Europe. That is not negotiable. :?

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 30 Sep 2003, 22:32

Oberst Mihael wrote:Slovenia is in Central Europe. That is not negotiable. :?
Herr Oberst :) :wink: ,
the middle of the middle of Europe is in Poland, so how can Slovenia be in Central Europe? She is placed so looking from west to east, but looking from the north to south she is placed about 1000 km (or a bit more) away from the middle, which is placed in Poland.
BTW
For many people from the EU the only Europe is EU and that make us very irritable. They say ALL the counties which were Warsaw Pact members are placed in Eastern Europe. In the addition many of them can't show their own home city on the map or a city which is placed 200 km away (in their own country). I met many positive exceptions on this forum and they are not bad at geography. However many ordinary people from EU really don't know the world they are living.
I hope I did not offend anybody - it was not my purpose.

Ti.P

Post by Ti.P » 01 Oct 2003, 02:47

are u saying that eastern euro nations arnt part of europe and cant join the EU?

Edward L. Hsiao

Getting back to the Subject!

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 03 Oct 2003, 23:48

Hi Fellow!

You guys are off the subject about "Wehrmacht Soldiers in Other Wars." I did know that a former WW2 Luftwaffe pilot named Friedrich Herz had flown T-6 flying trainers that were converted to attack planes against the Nigerians during the late 1960's. I forgot what war it was. I should have posted that information many weeks ago. :)

Regards,

Edward

Zygmunt

Re: Getting back to the Subject!

Post by Zygmunt » 20 May 2004, 00:52

Edward L. Hsiao wrote:...I did know that a former WW2 Luftwaffe pilot named Friedrich Herz had flown T-6 flying trainers that were converted to attack planes against the Nigerians during the late 1960's. I forgot what war it was...
Sounds like the Biafra conflict (1967-1970) to me. This link:
http://www.brushfirewars.org/
has infomation about two aircraft used by Biafran forces, this one:
http://www.brushfirewars.org/aircraft/m ... fran_1.htm
and the one you mentioned:
http://www.brushfirewars.org/aircraft/t ... _texan.htm
Zygmunt

Edward L. Hsiao

Ex-Kriegsmarine sailors in the Foreign Legion

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 21 May 2004, 08:17

Hello Fellows,

I'm pretty sure that German sailors from the Kriegsmarine had joined the French Foreign Legion as well. Quite a few of them might have manned some armed river boats that were used by the Legion. Others of coarse had to be trained as infantrymen. The Legion takes Germans who used to be in any three branches of the Wehrmacht and the Waffen-SS. How many ex-Luftwaffe pilots that joined the Legion besides Siegfried Freytag is anyone guess but probably not many. :|

Sincerely,

Edward

Return to “Other eras”