Civil war warships being raised

Discussions on other historical eras.
Galahad

Post by Galahad » 11 Jan 2003, 20:51

There's one more.....The USS Weehawken, the monitor that forced the CSS Atlanta to surrender.

" Sunk in a gale off Morris Island, Charleston, 6 December 1863, due to shipping water through the hawsepipe and hatches while at anchor."

ChristopherPerrien

Weehawken

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 11 Jan 2003, 22:25

Thought she was raised and sold. I will look into it. I did see a special on the Tecumseh wreck a few years back, there is not alot of rotting of the hull because she is buried in silt, As to a fragile shell I don't think 18 inch
iron plate buried for 140 years qualifies. Fragile as Japanese fishing boat?
I hope them Yankees build better boats than that.

A big part of the cost of these operations is the depth of the water. 30 Feet
is nothing. Could build a coffer dam around the ship if you have to but I think that may prove expensive.

The Monitor was so far gone that it can't be raised intact. But I really have a problem with anyone (navy included) taking souvenirs from a gravesite(engines included).

Also about cost, the navy,will not run this show for that reason.

Why the hell raise that GD fishing boat in the first place?

ChristopherPerrien

Weehawken

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 11 Jan 2003, 22:32

Thought she was raised and sold. I will look into it. I did see a special on the Tecumseh wreck a few years back, there is not alot of rotting of the hull because she is buried in silt, As to a fragile shell I don't think 18 inch
iron plate buried for 140 years qualifies. Fragile as Japanese fishing boat?
I hope them Yankees build better boats than that.

A big part of the cost of these operations is the depth of the water. 30 Feet
is nothing. Could build a coffer dam around the ship if you have to but I think that may prove expensive.

The Monitor was so far gone that it can't be raised intact. But I really have a problem with anyone (navy included) taking souvenirs from a gravesite(engines included).

Also about cost, the navy,will not run this show for that reason.

Why the hell raise that GD fishing boat in the first place?

ChristopherPerrien

USS Weehawken and USS Milwaukee

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 17 Apr 2003, 02:38

Found this recently,

USS Weehawken, Passaic Class. Accidentally sank near Charleston 6 Dec 1863 (31 killed). Wreckers salvaged engines and destroyed turret and pilothouse prior to 1870; remainder of wreck removed after 1870.

USS Milwaukee, Milwaukee Class. Struck a mine and sank in Blakely River above Mobile Bay 28 Mar 1865 (0 killed). Wreck raised 1868 and scrapped; some iron may have been used to build Eads Bridge at St. Louis.

Info from: Mark Jenkins and warships.com

Still got feelers out for raising the USS Tecumseh.

Zygmunt

Post by Zygmunt » 26 Apr 2003, 15:22

Interesting idea guys, but I say steer clear of anything sunk in combat; a war grave is a war grave. Surely there are some things which were scuttled which could tickle your fancy?

I was interested to hear how possessive you say the US Navy is of anything it has lost; the British RAF takes a similar line. For example, until recently (and perhaps even now) we had a recurrent problem with the canopies on our aircraft; they kept falling off! Sometimes this was due to faulty ejector mechanisms breaking the canopy (to let the pilot eject) even if the pilot did NOT try to eject, on other occasions the entire canopy simply detached from the aircraft in flight.

On occasions like these, the RAF sends a team of investigators to collect up anything which has fallen off. They have strong legal powers to search for and seize anything which is theirs. On the plus side, they are usually willing to pay compensation for anything damaged (if a droptank lands on your car, they'll buy you a new one).

Some of this makes perfect sense; the pieces of the wreckage are clearly useful in enabling them to work out what went wrong, and to try to prevent it from happening again. But there is no statute of limitations on their work; if a farmer finds something which looks like it fell off an aircraft in the 20s, they'll be on site to take possession of it within hours!
They really seem determined to collect ANYTHING which was once theirs.

I think (at least as far as the compensation part goes) there's a parallel with spaceflight; I understand that there is an international agreement amongst those who launch satellites (or whatever) that the launcher is responsible for what they send up; if a satellite or booster rocket comes back down again (ever) then the launcher is liable for any compensation claim which may be made. It seems reasonable, but I'm wondering; what if a US satellite crashes onto Cuba; Would Uncle Sam hand over the cash to a farmer whose tractor got totalled? Would sanctions permit that?

But now I'm rambling... time I went and had a beer!

Good luck raising some ships
Zygmunt

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Post by David C. Clarke » 26 Apr 2003, 16:11

Hi Christopher, thanks for the information on U.S.S. Milwaukee! So part of her became a bridge? Well, a good use for an ex-warship, to help people. A pity though about the loss of the Eads turret due to salvaging.
It would have offered an interesting glimpse into naval designs and construction in that era.

Best Regards, David

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 26 Apr 2003, 21:43

Well if we get the Tecumseh raised we will have a real interesting piece of engineering to look at.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 01 May 2003, 05:41

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (April 30) - An underwater survey found what might be remnants of the Confederate ironclad warship Virginia, the former USS Merrimack that fought the Union's ironclad Monitor in the 1862 battle that redefined naval warfare.

``It would be a stroke of incredible luck to discover it after all these years,'' said Dick Hoffeditz, curator of the Virginia War Museum in Newport News.

The underwater survey, for the proposed construction of a marine terminal on the Elizabeth River, describes two shipwrecks in the area and says there is ``a distinct possibility'' that they might be parts of the Virginia and of a schooner that hit the submerged wreck and sank next to it.

The Monitor and the Virginia - which was built on part of the salvaged hull of a Union sailing ship, the USS Merrimack - fought a pounding battle near Newport News on March 9, 1862.

It was the first clash of wooden ships armored with steel plates to repel cannon balls. Most historians consider the four-hour battle a draw.

On May 11, 1862, the Virginia ran aground near Craney Island. After the crew was evacuated, the ship was set afire, detonating the 16,000 pounds of black powder in the ship's magazine. Documents show that salvage companies later removed two boilers and parts of the wooden hull.

What was left of the ship was again blown up, and some sections were dragged to the Navy Yard in Portsmouth.

Several parts of the Virginia survive in museums, including dented armor and the ship's wheel at the Mariners' Museum, and an anchor and part of a propeller shaft at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond.

The Virginia Department of Historic Resources has called for a follow-up investigation to decide if the wreck spotted in the survey is the Virginia. If it is, federal and state laws require that the ship's remains be removed before any dredging can take place.

The Monitor sank at the end of 1862, landing upside down in 240 feet of water, 16 miles off Hatteras, N.C. A joint Navy and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration team has raised the Monitor's turret and other parts.

The Mariners' Museum in Newport News has custody of Monitor artifacts.

04/30/03 13:54 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Return to “Other eras”