Anniversary of the Battle of Isandlwana - Jan 22 - 1879

Discussions on other historical eras.
The Desert Fox

Anniversary of the Battle of Isandlwana - Jan 22 - 1879

Post by The Desert Fox » 22 Jan 2003, 10:00

Today is an important aniversary of another favourite history subject of mine the Zulu wars.

On this date, the 22nd of January 1879 the British army was dealt one of its greatest defeats at the hands of the Zulu at the battle of Isandlwana.
On this very day in South Africa, 124 years ago 1500 British and Colonial troops perished, victims of overconfidence of their commander Lord Chelmsford.

The victory of the Zulu, a native army with few firearms over what was at the time one of the most modern armies in the world was pretty special.

Anyone on this forum with a passion for this period as well? Happy to corespond if you do.

regards
The Desert Fox

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 22 Jan 2003, 11:45

I saw the movie Zulu and enjoyed it, but that's about all. It was however, one of the most impressive defeats ever dealt to the British. Then again, the Afghans handed out a thrashing when they got the Brits in 1919.

Gwynn

The Desert Fox

Post by The Desert Fox » 22 Jan 2003, 16:17

Gwynn Compton wrote:I saw the movie Zulu and enjoyed it, but that's about all. It was however, one of the most impressive defeats ever dealt to the British. Then again, the Afghans handed out a thrashing when they got the Brits in 1919.

Gwynn
Ah my friend you would be thinking of the film "Zulu Dawn" which dealt with the battle of Isandlawanah on the 22nd of Jan 1879. Here the poor Brits got flogged. The Film was made in 1979 or 1980.

The more famous film "Zulu" with Michael Caine was filmed in 1960 odd and deals with the battle of Rorkes Drift. This was fought on the 23rd January by a single company of the 24th foot guarding a supply depot/hospital at Rorkes Drift.

While most of the regt was slaughtered at Isandlawanah this company, with elements of other units held its own as elements of the Zulu from Isandlawana marched upon it. Outnumber 100 to 2000 or so the defenders at Rorkes Drift won seven Victoria Crosses in a single day. The award of this the highest award for Valor in Britian and the commonwealth, has never been matched in a single engagment any time since.

regards
The Desert Fox

The Desert Fox

Post by The Desert Fox » 22 Jan 2003, 16:23

Gwynn Compton wrote:I saw the movie Zulu and enjoyed it, but that's about all. It was however, one of the most impressive defeats ever dealt to the British. Then again, the Afghans handed out a thrashing when they got the Brits in 1919.

Gwynn
What is this action in 1919 you are talking about Gwynn?

The only major defeat I recall of British campaigning in Afghanistian was in the 1840s with the retreat from Kabul.

Enlighten me friend. British colonial warfare is another pet subject of mine, after 3rd reich history. This 1919 action I would like to hear about.

regards
The Desert Fox

Return to “Other eras”