How Did 18th Century Brits Notify Soldier Next-Of-Kin?

Discussions on other historical eras.
sylvieK4

How Did 18th Century Brits Notify Soldier Next-Of-Kin?

Post by sylvieK4 » 13 Feb 2003, 19:18

I would have asked this question on the "Military History" board, but as that site is still down, I will pose it here:

I was wondering about of some British soldiers who served in the Americas during the "Seven Years War" (French and Indian War) and the American Revolution. As we know, thousands of British troops were shipped to North America to fight the French and later rebellious American colonists. Obviously many of these men left parents, siblings, wives and children behind in Britain.

When enlisted men or officers died in battle, was there a plan of action to identify the soldier remains or to notify loved ones back in Europe?

Did 18th century British soldiers carry anything similar to a dog tag to identify his remains should he fall?

Did officers or NCOs take account of which of their men fell in battle, and to report their deaths?

How were families back in Britain notified that their loved one did in fact die? Was it common for the families of enlisted soldiers to be informed, or was the family to assume the soldier died if he did not return home?

Return to “Other eras”