Ottoman expansion

Discussions on other historical eras.
mongrel

Ottoman expansion

Post by mongrel » 03 Feb 2013, 04:36

Hello there, I've submitted to the forum right now hoping cultural recreation.

I've this doubt about the Ottoman expansion through the Balkans, specifically of the farthest achieved boundary of the Empire, i.e. when the more vast of the outside territory was claimed under Ottoman rule.

Did Ottomans take possession all over the Balkans? Did they reach Venetian borders? Took they all Dalmatian coast and isles? Did they conquer all of Hungary? Is it true that only remote islands remained out of conquest in what is Greece?

I'd really appreciate If someone could write me which were the Ottoman limits when they were capable of holding the more of foreign lands, how was the treat with the vicinity, how managed the surrounding nations not to fell under Ottoman might.

Also, how was this conquest? was it favorable to those ones submitted? Were they happy under new rule? Were there many uprisings? In the case of those people who belonged to the Austrohungarian alliance, where they more happy with Ottomans than with their old lords? How was possible to submit so many lands with contingent coming from a limited land such as Turkey? From where did they get the people to set and rule foreigners of so many other nations?

That would be more or less the point I'm trying to make here, and please, forgive me for asking much, I just want to clarify this doubts. I have seen maps but these differ one from another so I would clearly rely better in (a) more educated person(s) who know(s) about this well.

Thanks in advance, and nice forum :) !

Dr Eisvogel

Re: Ottoman expansion

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 13 Feb 2013, 01:09

mongrel wrote:Hello there, I've submitted to the forum right now hoping cultural recreation.

I've this doubt about the Ottoman expansion through the Balkans, specifically of the farthest achieved boundary of the Empire, i.e. when the more vast of the outside territory was claimed under Ottoman rule.

Did Ottomans take possession all over the Balkans? Did they reach Venetian borders? Took they all Dalmatian coast and isles? Did they conquer all of Hungary? Is it true that only remote islands remained out of conquest in what is Greece?

I'd really appreciate If someone could write me which were the Ottoman limits when they were capable of holding the more of foreign lands, how was the treat with the vicinity, how managed the surrounding nations not to fell under Ottoman might.

Also, how was this conquest? was it favorable to those ones submitted? Were they happy under new rule? Were there many uprisings? In the case of those people who belonged to the Austrohungarian alliance, where they more happy with Ottomans than with their old lords? How was possible to submit so many lands with contingent coming from a limited land such as Turkey? From where did they get the people to set and rule foreigners of so many other nations?

That would be more or less the point I'm trying to make here, and please, forgive me for asking much, I just want to clarify this doubts. I have seen maps but these differ one from another so I would clearly rely better in (a) more educated person(s) who know(s) about this well.

Thanks in advance, and nice forum :) !
1. The Ottoman Empire shared border with the Venetian Republic.

2. The Ottoman Empire didn't conquer all of Hungary.

3. The Ottoman Empire didn't take most of the Dalmatian coast and it didn't take any of Dalmatian islands.

4. In modern-day Greece the Ionian islands stayed free of the Ottoman rule.

5. Define the Balkans!?

6. The groups that existed prior to the Ottoman conquest, don't have positive memories of the time they were subjugated by the Ottomans, however the groups that are offspring of the Ottoman rule have.

7. The Ottoman army was recruited and mobilized for use in campaigns all over the empire and not only from the core region in modern day Turkey.

8. The ones that submitted to the Ottoman rule were treated according to a host of factors: circumstances of the conquest/submission, religious composition of the population, success of Islamization, movement of the Ottoman borders further away from the territory etc.

9. The uprisings depended on the period in question, the probability of foreign help to the insurgents, economic situation in the area affected etc.

Return to “Other eras”