Ukraianian Galician army?

Discussions on other historical eras.
Oldphoto.info

Ukraianian Galician army?

Post by Oldphoto.info » 24 Apr 2014, 22:16

Dear friends, I need your help...
They are Ukraianian Galician army soldiers and armored vehicle after WW1? Or Polish? Some soldiers have WW1 Austrian equipment, or Steyr M1912 semi-automatic pistol. Photo here: http://www.oldphoto.info/_pelmel/polak.jpg

::: www.oldphoto.info ::: antique photography & postcards ::: since 2002 :::

Halibutt

Re: Ukraianian Galician army?

Post by Halibutt » 25 Apr 2014, 15:30

I'm not that sure they are Galician Army. The uniforms seem to be of the good old Austro-Hungarian sort (both old and new, judging by the breast pockets), but the shoulder insignia... Take a look at the guy sitting on the motorcycle. This thread shows plenty of pictures of chevrons used as shoulder insignia, they are longer and facing upwards.

Most likely they are not Polish either, the Polish Army did not use chevrons at all. It did use the Austro-Hungarian uniforms though (as well as German, French, Russian, Italian and even some Japanese as well). So anything is possible I guess.

The armoured car is bizarre as well. It certainly is not a Polish armoured car. It's neither Austin (-Kegresse, -Putilov, White), Garford, Peerles, Peugeot, Ford FTB or Geffery. It doesn't look like Erhardt either, I'm not aware of any other armoured cars used by the Poles, though this might be an improvised machine (commercial lorry with two guns and some armoured plates added). The camo is also pretty distinctive.

EDIT: The armoured car is "Heigl Panzerauto M.25", used mostly for training. Problem is, it was designed in 1929, so the guys in the picture are definitely not Galician Army. Austrian military perhaps?

Oldphoto.info

Post by Oldphoto.info » 25 Apr 2014, 23:40

YES :-) ..... Result of search: Austrian Bundesheer (federal army) of Austrian Republic, cca 1920 - 1930. Many thx. Halibutt :thumbsup:
::: www.oldphoto.info ::: antique photography & postcards ::: since 2002 :::

Halibutt

Post by Halibutt » 30 Apr 2014, 17:04

Happy to help :)

Return to “Other eras”