Thirty Years War -- Nordlingen

Discussions on other historical eras.
josin

Thirty Years War -- Nordlingen

Post by josin » 15 May 2003, 18:58

hi,
i am looking for a detailed account in English (about 3+ book text pages if possible) of the *first* Battle of Nordlingen ( September 6 1634) during the Thirty Years War. (the one where the Protestant forces were under the command of Bernard of Saxe-Weimar and Gustav Horn)

also, would like to get recommendations on which books (in english) on that War are really good. (accuracy, readability, not too much bias)

thanks ! - josin

Oderint Dvm Metvant

Post by Oderint Dvm Metvant » 15 May 2003, 20:08

What is this for?
The request "about three pages" makes it seem awfully suspicious as a "please do this assignment for me" But perhaps I am just paranoid :-)

Yngwie J.

Post by Yngwie J. » 16 May 2003, 18:29

Hi Josin!

Personally I would recommend "The Thirty Years´War 1618-1648" (Essential Histories 29) from Osprey publishing

Best regards,
Yngwie J.

Durand

Post by Durand » 17 May 2003, 05:42

Hallo Josin,

The following are two books you may wish to consider:

The Thirty Years War by C.V. Wedgwood;

Gustavus Adolphus by Theodore Ayrault Dodge.

Wedgwood's book certainly fits the requirements you set out. I read it several years ago on the recommendation of a historian with whom I was then acquaintanted who described it as THE book on the Thirty Year's War. I found the book to be quite interesting and detailed. It is an excellent read.

With regard to Dodge's book, I have read most of its chapters at various times in the course of mining it for specific information. It was originally written in 1895 with the result that the style now seems a bit archaic. I am also always a bit cautious with such texts. The authors of that period seem rarely to be careful about their sources. As I recall, Dodge does not mention any sources.

Regards,

Durand

josin

thanks for references !

Post by josin » 04 Jun 2003, 06:06

Oderint Dvm Metvant wrote:What is this for?
The request "about three pages" makes it seem awfully suspicious as a "please do this assignment for me" But perhaps I am just paranoid :-)
:lol: hee hee, nope, i never cheated at school... but as a teaching-assistant i caught one doing it. that assignment had been to write a poem. and just by sheer chance i had spent a couple of hours that weekend in the library, grabbing rarely-red poetry books at random.
you should have seen her face when i showed her the original work... :lol:

hey guys, thanks for the references posted so far ! -- merci ! - josin

Return to “Other eras”