Cold War; North Korea prep of nuclear ord

Discussions on other historical eras.
South

Cold War; North Korea prep of nuclear ord

Post by South » 15 Jun 2018, 10:09

https://www.rferl.org/a/north-koreas-ro ... 83662.html

Good morning all,

Above has some Korean War pictures. Please ignore those more recent pictures qualifying as contemporary political. On balance believe it best to post link in furtherance of the history pictures.

Note picture 4's caption using the word "propaganda".

Attention experts: Picture 11 is NOT Rembrandt's "Storm on the Sea of Galilee".

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Cold War - Doctor Strangelove Meets The Kims!

Post by Robert Rojas » 16 Jun 2018, 00:09

Greetings to both brother South and the community as a whole. Howdy Bob! Well sir, in respect to your introductory posting of Friday - June 15, 2018 - 12:09am, old yours truly certainly appreciates the two vintage photographs from the now distant Korean War. In terms of topical specificity, the photographs that usually attract my attention are those that are shot under the brutal conditions of Korea's winters. Under those near arctic conditions, one must wonder how the photographers of that era managed to keep their camera equipment from freezing up. Needless to say, one must also marvel at the sheer endurance of our infantrymen to exist in such an environment much less fight in that environment. Well, in terms of the remainder of the photography, I bet our good friend Mr. Kenneth Burns could formulate something quite creative about the life and times of the world's only "Dynastic Communist State" staring all three generations of the KIM clan. I'll let your own fervent imagination address what the commercial title of the series ought to be. Now, apart from the their magnificently choreographed military parades and their flawlessly staged missile launches, I cannot say that I am overly impressed with Pyongyang's REPETITIVE dog and pony shows. I rather suspect (rightly OR wrongly) that the Mandarins in the neighboring Middle Kingdom watch all of this theatric pageantry with more horror than we Occidentals actually do. It's just some friendly food for thought. Kim Chee anyone? Well, that's my initial two cents worth on this family slide show which is certainly worthy of the now vintage television series once known as FATHER KNOWS BEST - or is it KIM KNOWS BEST? In any case, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day over in the Old Dominion that is the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :) :wink: 8-)
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

South

Re: Cold War; North Korea prep of nuclear ord

Post by South » 16 Jun 2018, 07:58

Good morning Uncle Bob,

ROFL: Kim Chee and Father Knows Best ! The morbid slide show is now easier to handle.

Most definitely that the Middle Kingdom puts more time and effort in watching the dagger peninsula than we Occidentals.

The Korean War/police action flareup of the Cold War - and I grew up getting saturated with stories of how cold it was - did produce a fine publication on how soldiers could alleviate the cold.

In a publication titled "Cold Facts For Keeping Warm", Department of the Pamphlet 21-52, dated May, 1963, soldiers learn how to keep warm.

Aside from "YOUR COTTON [sic] WINTER HOOD" on page 31, the best guidance is found on page 39: "If your tent is equipped with a Yukon stove, your heating....."

"Knowledge Is Power"

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “Other eras”