Cold War's Ladislav Bittman

Discussions on other historical eras.
South

Cold War's Ladislav Bittman

Post by South » 27 Sep 2018, 06:34

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/ ... story.html

Good morning all,

Per ...

Ladislav Bittman / Lawrence Martin-Bittman was a Czech intel officer.

He was author of "The KGB and Soviet Disinformation..."

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Futurist

Re: Cold War's Ladislav Bittman

Post by Futurist » 27 Sep 2018, 18:20

May he RIP. :(

BTW, I'm assuming that he wasn't Jewish, correct?

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Cold War's Lawrence Martin - Bittman

Post by Robert Rojas » 28 Sep 2018, 04:14

Greetings to both brother Futurist and the community as a whole. Howdy Futurist (or Alvin Toffler if you so prefer)! Well sir, in light of your posting of Thursday - September 27, 2018 - 8:34pm, just to sate the curiosity of old yours truly, what relevance does the late Lawrence Martin - Bittman's ethnic ancestry or theological predilections have to do with anything? Oh, and by the way, what would lead you to believe that brother South might possess an intimate knowledge of Lawrence Martin - Bittman's ethnic ancestry or theological outlook? Inquiring minds want to know. Well, that's my initial two Yankee cents worth on this circuitous topic of interest - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day down in your corner of what was once our Golden State of California.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Cold War's Lawrence Martin - Bittman

Post by Robert Rojas » 28 Sep 2018, 15:35

Greetings to both brother South and the community as a whole. Howdy Bob! Well sir, in respect to your introductory posting of Wednesday - September 26, 2018 - 8:34pm, after reviewing other informational sources about the late professor Bittman, old yours truly was amazed to learn that the man had been sentenced to death in absentia by the then Czechoslovak Regime in year 1974 and that death sentence was not formally rescinded until year 1994 - TWO YEARS AFTER the dissolution of the Communist governance. Boy oh boy, tall about lingering memories and holding a grudge! With that in mind, I must REALLY wonder if other post Communist nations, such as the Russian Federation, are still carrying over such "judicial sentences" on their books from the BAD OLD days. I often think of the disparate assassinations and attempted assassinations of OLD SOVIET intelligence operatives who defected to the WEST - especially on the soil of the United Kingdom. It's just some sobering food for thought. Yorkshire pudding anyone? Well, that's my latest two Yankee cents worth on this "nostalgic" trip down BLACK OPERATIONS lane - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day over in the Old Dominion that is the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

South

Post by South » 28 Sep 2018, 16:04

Good morning Futurist / Alvin,

I'll personify what Uncle Bob wrote: How would I know his theological beliefs - or his cultural background. I can only guess that Natalia Trotsky did not adhere to the strict dietary requirements of kosher kitchens when living in Mexico. I doubt if Ramon Mercador was served glatt kosher cognac at the Trotsky crash pad - pun might be intended.

Plus, the word "Jewish" has several distinct and antagonistic definitions. Arthur Koestler wrote a book titled "The 13th Tribe" delving into this.

Here in Virginia, "religious" identification tags are used for fund-raising and identifying schools to send the kids to for the purpose of obtaining an education.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

South

Post by South » 28 Sep 2018, 16:24

Good morning Uncle Bob,

I know little of the Russian Federation after 1994 (and, admittedly, prior to 1994).

A contemporary matter - not for discussion here - just listing for a bench mark of post Warsaw Pact / COMECON times - is the Law and Justice Party of Poland and its philosophical plank. We Americans had a previous mirror-image of this issue after our Civil War;

Are the defeated domestic political enemies fully punished throughout the social, economic and political spheres - or is there an assimilation program eg Reconstruction (in theory, at least, knowing the human condition) 1865-1877 and the follow-on Reconciliation up to 1900 ?

That's my 2 Euros worth of knowledge on this.

In lieu of Yorkshire pudding, I'll settle for a bottle of Jewell of Russia vodka to celebrate one of Stalin's daughters (believe related by marriage [forgot name, specifics]) who defected via New Delhi to Milwaukee during the Vietnam War. Don't believe a Fatwa issued from Moscow.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “Other eras”