Cold War broadcast warning

Discussions on other historical eras.
South

Cold War broadcast warning

Post by South » 25 Feb 2019, 11:29

https://wpta21.com/news/featured/2019/0 ... e-on-edge/

Good morning all,

Per...

Some radio stations participated in an emergency alert program for the public.

Please be assured that if Soviet nuclear tipped ICBMs hit Chicago and military bases, Ft Wayne, Indiana would be involved.

Article has a hyperlink to article on "Emergency Broadcast System".

At the end of article, at "WE INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM", the X,Y axis + target format, to me,... this is a - memento mori -. I am from a society which has been clinically sanitized from the social perspective involving warfare. No human skulls were in high school biology classes. Cemeteries were "sterile" environments.

Yet, the nuclear targeting charts and maps .....To this day I get these reminders of death generated by the Cold War.

Meanwhile, no need to tune in to 640 or 1240 on your AM radio dial - also marked by the triangle, of Civil Defense fame. Our public radio alert system is more comprehensive and more sophisticated. Unfortunately, the problems are worst than the system can handle. Driving to rescue children at school building will cause vehicle collisions and fires. Shopping at a grocery store before the attack ?! Add Walmart parking lots to "Ground Zero".

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

wm

Re: Cold War broadcast warning

Post by wm » 25 Feb 2019, 14:52

I think it's highly unlikely that an emergency triggered by a codeword could have been recalled by that plaintext "disregard, disregard."
Teletype circuits were unprotected and unencrypted so it would be easy to inject fake messages into them.
As far as I know, it was all done by single-use preshared codewords.

Complete recording of the false alarm of 1971 from WOWO in Fort Wayne, Indiana:
http://historyofwowo.com/audio/WOWO-Bob ... scoped.mp3

South

Post by South » 25 Feb 2019, 18:34

Good afternoon Wm,

Completely agree.

Appreciate the 1971 WOWO link

Last year we had a "false alarm" in Hawaii.

As usual, the Boy Scouts' motto governs: "Be Prepared".

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Cold War Broadcast Warning.

Post by Robert Rojas » 25 Feb 2019, 19:10

Greetings to both brother South and the community as a whole. Howdy Bob! Well sir, in respect to your introductory posting of Monday - February 25, 2019 - 1:29am. this was both an informative and learning moment for old yours truly. Considering that I was residing in the greater Chicago metropolitan area in year 1971, this is the very first occasion to learn of such an erroneous broadcast warning had been generated in such close proximity to my domicile. And just to reiterate, I have absolutely no recollection of any similar alert ever being generated by the Civil Authorities in Northeast Illinois during that time period. On the other hand, given the time period in question, there was SO MUCH ELSE TAKING UP THE OVERALL NEWS CYCLE, that it is thoroughly possible that I either missed or overlooked that wee bit of news. Now, given the all too recent events that transpired in Honolulu, Hawaii on January 13, 2018, should anything like this actually come as a major surprise to any of us anymore? SHIT HAPPENS! Well, that's my initial two Yankee cents worth on this unique slice of Americana - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bi you an especially copacetic day over in your corner of the Old Dominion that is the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

South

Post by South » 25 Feb 2019, 20:57

Good afternoon Uncle Bob,

There are always common denominators.

If there is a broadcast alert about incoming ICBMs or just a false alarm corrected in under 5 minutes from the original erroneous broadcast, the response is about the same.

Immediately driving to an Emergency Operations Center or driving to a Walmart or elsewhere, has one on the road. The roads are more lethal than the incoming missiles.

If there is an announcement about a confirmed real missile attack, our citizenry would rush to the school to pick up their kids, our citizenry would empty out the stores. Our college commandos would load up on ammo, our professors of space law would seek contracts to write about missile trajectories and that missiles programmed for eg Chicago's Lakefront might be hitting Gary, Indiana instead. Our intellectual class would not worry if the broadcast report said the missile's warhead could only affect a small area and ...

From the end of the atomic era Cold War until now, not that much has changed.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “Other eras”