Discussions on other historical eras.
South
Financial supporter

Cold War and US school drills

Post by South » 27 Mar 2019 09:57

https://www.history.com/news/duck-cover ... -arms-race

Good morning all,

Per ...

Sub heading is most revealing and comical: "comically simple strategies".

History Professor Alex Wellerstein is, overall, wrong. The duck and cover drills were inadequate. Contemporary sheltering doctrine addresses much of the Cold War shelter tactics (but not fund the improvements).

The "times they are achanging" ... "and to always obey the civil defense workers..."

In the early 1950s, children of WWII veterans knew something about atomic explosions.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

OpanaPointer

Re: Cold War and US school drills

Post by OpanaPointer » 27 Mar 2019 11:25

People always think the "duck and cover" was the only plan we had back then. That drill was SOLELY to avoid flying glass. The low-hanging fruit syndrome always pops up with this.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

South
Financial supporter

Post by South » 27 Mar 2019 12:18

Good morning Opana Pointer,

I remember 2 distinct and different drills.

Number one was the article's "duck and cover". The other was to stand up, no talking allowed and walk in single file to the hallway to sit down and wait. When walking from the classroom to the hallway, each child had to squat down a little while walking past a window.

In the hallway, while seated on floor, no talking was allowed.

One of the big questions the students asked was how the school nurse would handle an atomic bomb hit.

To this day I always think of Anton Chekhov's "A Journey to the end of the Russian Empire". He wrote that on Sakhalin Island, the public health clinics had 9 scissors throughout the island. When in elementary school during the beginning of the Cold War, I learned that the school nurse had shortages of iodine, merthiolate and mecuricome.

Contemporary planning says not to use easy to shatter glass in schools - and other buildings - and to have building codes revamped to protect against both natural events like hurricanes and person-made events like shootings.

Meanwhile, the public does not want to pay for safety - but the public wants safety.

~ Bob

eastern Virginia, USA

OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer » 27 Mar 2019 12:47

The school layout would definitely play into emergency planning. There are pictures of Joplin, Missouri, school kids hunkered down in a hallway, waiting for the EF5 to wipe them out. "Get underground!" was finally taken seriously after that. Pity the people who didn't want to pay for adequate shelters had kids too.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

wm

Post by wm » 27 Mar 2019 21:05

The was a difference, duck and cover was for a surprise attack, shelters and evacuation for the anticipated.

The drill wasn't just to avoid glass, but the blinding flash and thermal radiation.

OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer » 14 Apr 2019 11:32

Yeah, I used glass as an example of the missile hazards. I currently live within a few miles of the Boeing complex here in St. Louis. It would rate a second wave attack.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Return to “Other eras”