Why USA do not won Vietnam War ?

Discussions on other historical eras.
Sejanus

Re: Why USA do not won Vietnam War ?

Post by Sejanus » 19 May 2019 01:38

Sid Guttridge wrote:
29 Apr 2019 13:53
The USA could have over run North Vietnam at any time, but chose not to do so. Therefore, North Vietnam could not lose.
It is doubtful that the US could have overrun North Vietnam without risking a Chinese invasion as a result, a repeat of the same set of circumstances that took place during the preceding Korean War. For all the mistakes made by the US during the conflict, at least trying to overrun the North in a full scale invasion was not one of them.

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 19 May 2019 02:00

Plain Old Dave wrote:
29 Apr 2019 03:34
1. The U.S. had stupid, incompetent Politicians relying on stupid, incompetent Military Officers and stupid incompetent Intelligence Agencies who got us engaged a war in which the U.S. was fighting for the WRONG SIDE
Thoughts.

1. Definitely not the "wrong side." Both History and human nature trstify to the unsustainable nature of communism.
Yes, definitely the wrong side. Who are we (the United States) to say what sort of political system is adopted by a foreign country, regardless of what it might be? Vietnam turning communist was never a direct economic or military threat to the US. But I still encounter a few true believers that fervently believe the opposite, perhaps as a handy excuse (the evils of communism) for what in reality was a war of an obscene and unjustifiable cost.

Reminds me of one of the Gold Star moms I knew (and respected for the sacrifices their family made even though I disagreed with the war) that also insisted that the war was absolutely necessary, otherwise the death of her son would make no sense to her; an understandable psychological justification that sadly does not reflect the reality of the matter.

Gorque

Post by Gorque » 19 May 2019 02:51

Diem was a bit of an anomaly, religiously speaking. How much dissent was there in the North?

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 20 May 2019 05:21

Double post.
Last edited by Sid Guttridge on 20 May 2019 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 20 May 2019 05:22

Hi Sejanus,

How would it have been to anybody's advantage (including that of the local populations) if South Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Burma, Indonesia.... had fallen to Communism? After all, the Communists weren't going to stop of their own accord. Should the US have withdrawn from South Korea too? Where does it stop? Giving up Berlin? Withdrawing from NATO, perhaps? After the fall of Nationalist China, the US pretty much had to make a stand somewhere or lose global influence altogether. And, if a stand had to be made, surely the further forward the better?

By comparison to the alternative, the USA was the right side, however flawed its policy enactment may have been.

Cheers,

Sid.

OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer » 20 May 2019 10:07

I watch "Russian Car Crash" videos (bit of a busman's holiday, that) and it amuses me no end to see the Russian landscape so wholly enamored of capitalism.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “Other eras”