Gulf of Tonkin

Discussions on other historical eras.

paulrward

Re: Gulf of Tonkin

Post by paulrward » 16 Oct 2019, 02:40

Hello Moderators !

Is there no way we can block this type of SPAM ?

Respectfully :

Paul R. Ward
Information not shared, is information lost
Voices that are banned, are voices who cannot share information....
Discussions that are silenced, are discussions that will occur elsewhere !

Globalization41

Post by Globalization41 » 17 Oct 2019, 15:19

Sorry about offending you Paul. I had decided to take a quick look at the long-term historical fractal of interventionism. The Gulf of Tonkin Incident was the example posted about. Coincidently, at that time in 1964, the Turks and Greeks were fighting on Cyprus. … The baseball and football links show positive-propaganda examples of prosperity.

5/11/1877, Population of Turkey1/15/1896, Kurds Accused of Making Predatory Attacks on Armenians

10/16/1924, British Not Enthusiastic About Assigning Southern Kurds to Turkey2/24/1984, The Kurds and Kurdistan

Globalization41.
Last edited by Globalization41 on 18 Oct 2019, 06:15, edited 3 times in total.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 17 Oct 2019, 17:12

It's not spam, it's interest in historical issues. Easy enough to ignore.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Globalization41

Post by Globalization41 » 17 Oct 2019, 21:16

Russia wanted the Turkish Straits. Europe sided with anti-Turk fighters, but tolerated Turkey as long as the Turks blocked the Russians from annexing the Straits. Later, Stalin requested Hitler recognize the Turkish Straits as being within the Soviet sphere of influence. At the time, Stalin assumed Hitler's priority would be defeating Britain. The Soviet dictator also feared a British expedition into the Black Sea. … In the link below, it says Europe would have been ok with Russia occupying Armenia because of outrages committed by the Turks and Kurds, but if Russia were to occupy Constantinople, Europe would become pro-Ottoman and supply Turkey with armies.

6/12/1895, Turkey Safe as Long as Mutual Jealously Over Bosporus Prevails in Great PowersMap, Turkey, Ibiblio, HyperWar

The Gulf of Tonkin incident opened the door wider for U.S. intervention in Vietnam. Meanwhile, prosperous America was still able to easily afford the Cold War, the Vietnam War, interstate highways, the Great Society, hippies, and sending men to the moon.

Globalization41.

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Gulf Of Tonkin.

Post by Robert Rojas » 21 Oct 2019, 02:17

Greetings to both brother Paul Ward and the community as a whole. Howdy Paul! Well sir, in deference to your point OR points-of-view as articulated within your installment of Tuesday - October 15, 2019 - 4:40pm, old yours truly must reluctantly concur with the sentiments as expressed by brother Opana Pointer within his installment of Thursday - October 17, 2019 - 7:12am. it's not spam. it's interest with historical issues. Like my asinine postings, brother G-41's postings are easy enough to ignore. Incidentally, brother G-41's disparate postings have come across in very much the same style and manner for quite some time now. So, what he does OR fails to do is not exactly a state secret to the forum's official guardians of truth and enlightenment. Now you know! Well, that's my initial two Yankee cents worth on this wanting topic of interest - for now anyway. In any case, assuming that you still are gainfully employed over on the Peninsula, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day over on your side of THE BAY.

Best Regards From Contra Costa County!
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 21 Oct 2019, 02:25

I used to read the newspapers from 1939-1942. I miss having that handy access, just take the tunnel from the Hawkins Grad House to the Undergraduate Library, with a detour to the Commons to get some cheese fries.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Globalization41

Post by Globalization41 » 22 Oct 2019, 04:25

I wonder when would have been the best time to withdraw U.S. troops from Vietnam? … Nixon had won the war by early 1973. U.S. air power combining with South Viet forces had stopped Hanoi's fighters. … However, Congress pulled the plug on the war later in '73. U.S. forces then stayed neutral while North Viet troops defeated the Saigon government and extreme Communists overran Cambodia and Laos. … American forces finally staged a strategic mass retreat from S.E.A. in December 1975.

Globalization41.

Return to “Other eras”