Books: American Civil War ?

Discussions on other historical eras.
Ifor

Re: Books: American Civil War ?

Post by Ifor » 16 Jul 2020, 20:39

I have Shelby Foote's trilogy(TV series Civil War). I have yet to read them, but believe they are very good. If you get a chance to watch the series, it is very good.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 16 Jul 2020, 22:21

Ifor wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 20:39
I have Shelby Foote's trilogy(TV series Civil War). I have yet to read them, but believe they are very good. If you get a chance to watch the series, it is very good.
Is this different from the Ken Burns PBS miniseries?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Globalization41

American Civil War

Post by Globalization41 » 17 Jul 2020, 02:58

The Free States were willing to tolerate the southern Slave States for the time being in order to maintain the Union. The South worried the Free States (with a voting majority) would eventually want legal slavery grandfathered out. The Union refused to accept Confederate independence. Unthinkable slaughter commenced until the South surrendered. Cruel racial segregation (not unique to the U.S.) continued for another century under the nickname Jim Crow. By the mid-1970s everything was ok (in America) except for fringe ideologies inclined to carry forward generational grudges. One could estimate it takes a couple of centuries (1776-1976) to build a smooth functioning democracy. … Some places like South Korea, Europe, Japan, Israel, Taiwan, Germany, etc. were easier and faster to democratize due to massive temporary police states sponsored by an honorable U.S.

Globalization41.

Ifor

Post by Ifor » 17 Jul 2020, 20:20

As far I'm aware he didn't have an influence on the production, but was used as source on the series

Return to “Other eras”