What should the U.S. have done to win the Vietnam War, in your honest opinion?

Discussions on other historical eras.
Futurist

Re: What should the U.S. have done to win the Vietnam War, in your honest opinion?

Post by Futurist » 03 Apr 2021 01:08

Makes sense; thank you. :)

sailorsam

Re: What should the U.S. have done to win the Vietnam War, in your honest opinion?

Post by sailorsam » 06 Apr 2021 15:20

Globalization41 wrote:
22 Mar 2021 15:27
Thailand successfully defended its neutrality during the Vietnam War by allowing several gigantic U.S. military installations to operate from neutral Thai territory in support of the anti-communist war effort in Indo-China. Communist expansion stalled (due to U.S. intervention) and the fad reached its limits after Cambodia fell. Thailand without U.S. intervention might or might not have been overrun by radical communists or Maoists. … Thailand was the only country in the region never colonized by Europeans and thus was not generally prejudiced toward Americans. The Thais protected the U.S. bases from foreign insurgents. … Aircraft carriers had their advantages, but land bases could deliver more firepower.

Globalization41.
good post! I had wondered about the Domino Theory & Thailand.
I suspect Burma also had a communist movement that was squelched.

not to drift topic, but during the cold war some countries in Latin America would hit the USA up for weapons and $ saying they needed to defeat domestic communists. having lost Cuba the USA often paid up. sadly they often ended up subsidizing dictators. I wonder if that's what happened in Thailand.
Saint Peter, let these men enter Heaven; they served their time in hell.

Return to “Other eras”